Best headphones for mixing etc

hope this is the right forum. i live in an apartment where I can’t be too loud during the hours where I’m typically working on stuff. looking to get a pair of headphones that will give me something close to my monitors. looking to spend $200-ish. any input would be super helpful!

My neighbor just bought a pair of these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiritPro/

and wow! No bleed, ultra comfortable, spacious sound. He says they’re dead accurate too. A little more than $200-ish but definitely worth an audition if you have the opportunity

I know you said 200ish, but for around $300-350ish you can’t go wrong with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s. Extremely flat and neutral response, bass is bit lacking though.

you might think about some good in ear headphones. they cancel out as well at least 20 db if not even better. you could use such as well in clubs reducing loud music to your ears , while itself listen to lower volumes and saving your ears

+ 1,000 for the Focal Spirit Pro, very accurate.

The focals are nice. I just got the Professional version they are amazing but more expensive at $350.

seems pretty unanimous. gonna try and check them out tomorrow. thanks!

:+1:

I have a pair of hd650 and love them. If I am mixing I am not sure I would want them since they are semi open backs, which I believe the hd600s are as well.

Also have a pair of in ear monitors which are fantastic, just not under $200.

I think there are some nice round Sony headphones and some of the closed back sennheiser are worth a listen.

I think beyerdynamics DT770 Pro are real good studioheadphones for a bit less than 200$…
I like them even more than my yamaha hsm80 monitors…

How’s the fit on the Focal Spirit Pro? They seem to be more “on ear” than “over ear” unless you have rather tiny ears…

i recommend Ultrasone Signature DJ or Signature Pro, and you can leave the other products in the shelf

http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/de/produkte/ultrasone-signature/signature-dj

never heard anything like them, and i use my signature DJ headphone a lot

but…the are expensive, but after hearing them everybody understand why

looking to spend $200-ish : I have an answer because i test a lot of headphones… close to 200 you have Beyerdynamics which is the best in this price range. I have the DT770 which is a reference for all pro but i find the Custom One Pro very nice because you can set 4 position for the Bass Reflex which is quite nice depending what you do. If you are in mixing configuration you have 2 position which is quite nice for it and in composition situation you can need more bass to feeling better your track. That’s what i find so nice in this headphone. I have also the Ultrasone PRO900 which is a pure pleasure.

BUT/ In my opinion a headphone can’t replace a good monitoring. Mixing is must to be done at low volume… better the morning, PAN is better on Monitoring, Reverb also… If you have a sub monitoring you can better work on 30hZ to 100hZ… If you want to feel the track, it’s always best to go to a real sound system to hear how it sound.

(or maybe have a LD systems to go in a friend garage and test it on a more sound system way…)

1 Like

I thought the fit was fantastic. Yeah they sit more on top of your ears rather than over them. Seemed as if they’d be very comfortable over a long period of time. No pushing down or folding over your lobes. And we did some bleed tests with a mix playing and a condenser (Lauten Atlantis) recording, and it was minimal. I’ll have me a pair for sure, just as soon as I’m done building my modular, lol

Just wanted to second what other people said: i was researching the net on this topic, and ended up ordering focal spirit pro as well, just yesterday in fact)

i needed over ear headphones which dont touch my ears, AND at the same time I have a small head …most headphones dont fit me exceptions were some AKGs and Beyerdynamic.

Went for the DT7770 Pro (80 OHMS) … i recommend you to try on some if you also have a small head … heared only good things before and after buying these (pun intended)

The Beyerdynamics DT 770 are my favorite headphones of all times, you just got to love them.

However i recommend the DT 880 or the AKG K-240 for studio purposes. Both are semi-open so you can wear them longer without tiring your ears.

I have pretty big ears and they don’t cover them completely. They are kinda in between an on ear and over ear. That being said they are very comfortable and I wear them for hours at a time without problem. Best headphones I’ve used so far. They have a very detailed and spacious sound.

Anyone here using the Shure SRH1840?

I’ve had the focal twin bes for years and these are supposed to be the closest thing to those. I was going to pull the trigger on the ath-m50x but I might save extra and I might even find some on special