Best Elektron pairs

What are / were your favorites, your worse ?

I’m thinking about working with pairs in stands with audio patch bay as @jb did. @AdamJay wrote recently he likes to pair them, like MD+A4.

Last week I added MD to my dear OT+A4.
Maid a stand, everything plugged, synced, but once everything worked I didn’t know were to start, no inspiration, and too heavy.

I want to keep MD, and I’d like to make another pair. Monomachine with black faceplate comes to my mind logically. I don’t feel the need of an AR.
An other OT eventually, but I should get back a Rc505 for live looping stuff, slaved to OT.

1. OT+MM - A4+MD
  2. OT+A4 - MD+MM
  3. OT+A4 - OT+MD

I should test Digitone this weekend with @LyingDalai this weekend :wink:, so maybe it will become :
OT+A4 - DT+DN…

This is DN, my only friend, DN…

Edit : Sold MD for AR.
Sold AH in oder to buy DN.
2 new pairs planned :
OT + DN and friends above
AR + A4

11 Likes

Yep, two is the magic number I have found.

I liked the A4 & MD pair because they were so sonically different, they covered a lot of frequencies, tonalities. The drums cut through in a nice musical way.

Right now OTMKII and DN is my ideal pair because I just love the Digitone and the OT MKII gives me MOAR DIGITONE by sampling it, often in full 8 voice stereo unison. Together, I get 12 tracks of Digitone. And Scenes!!

11 Likes

My favourite is OT + OT :alien:

14 Likes

Sonically my favorite Elektron pair is the A4 and MDUW- just heaven all the way through.

The A4 + OT is very capable, but never felt as magical to me

Functionally, my favorite pair is the DT + DN, which is bliss.

4 Likes

I’ve been using DT and AR Mki.

The DT can control the midi on the AR and add 8 extra LFOs. You can also control performance mode more easily.

Still can’t wait for the DN though…

2 Likes

I had a greater interest in MD when I realised I could use it to play A4’s Multi Map very easily, choosing Sounds with MD’s MIDI machines very fast choosing note while triggering it.

Another good point is to play 3 notes, chords with MD triggers, eventually choose a scale + chords with the 16 trigs. Correct me if I’m wrong but they can send velocity…

On the other hand, I can play MD machines with A4 keyboard. With a midi processor, I plan to map midi notes to ROM pitch, so that I’ll be able to play MD tuned. I’d like to do it with other machines, much harder to map…

2 Likes

MNM+DT is a wonderful combo. I’ve removed everything else off my table except a reverb pedal.

10 Likes

My favourite pair right now is actually my Digitone with my Nord Rack. 4x FM, 4x Virtual Analog. I route the Nord through the Digitone to give it some reverb too since it doesnt have built-in FX. I also sequence all 4 tracks with the DN. Lovely pair. Just the right amount of depth on both. Fun sound exploration while remaining very immediate :smiley:

2 Likes

@Open_Mike I guess yours is PSU 3 + PSU 2 rev B ?

1 Like

@sezare56 probably already knows all this, but just for the sake of sharing with the collective…

If someone said I could magically switch my boxes I don’t think I would…
OT+AR, all day long…

For me I think a third box would break me, too many additional complex options that I would totally love to explore, and I’d make my way into some complex musical maze and probably get lost in there checking out the scenery… I play guitar and keyboard and sing though so if I wasn’t doing that I could see a third box…

I would absolutely love having a third box or more, but my personality tends to make me explore all possible avenues and so I find I do need to limit my personal options in order to help me focus on making songs instead of exploring audio experiments…

4 Likes

OT & A4 for me, use the cue outs to A4 inputs for the creamy creamy, send A4 into OT inputs for the chop chop.

17 Likes

@sezare56 MD midi machines are :ok_hand:t3:

That black MD looks :muscle:t3:

2 Likes

@darenager So you would do something like this, talking about pair with those machines ?
Apparently you sold MD and MM, kept SFX6…

3 Octatracks :wink:

7 Likes

I’d never leave the house, nobody would ever see me again, but I would absolutely love it to the max… :joy:

2 Likes

Best of all no additional learning curve :rofl:

2 Likes

What are these ‘songs’ of which you speak?

This part I understand :joy:

2 Likes

@Open_Mike - never get a modular.

2 Likes

Unless you want to

until you disappear up your own output socket :rofl:

2 Likes

I avoid things like modular, reaktor, max, etc… Like the plague…
Ironically the issue is that I would enjoy them way, way too much… :rofl:

6 Likes