Lets make the most out of the current Elektron boxes you own

It’s difficult to say. :slight_smile:
The point I was making was mostly referring to the DT&DN midi connectivity, MD&MnM for their complementary sound characteristics and A4&AR for the cv connectivity.

1 Like

Indeed. Having independent track lengths and running two synced tempos yielded significant results. Also had unsynced guitar loops running into thru machines and using gated trigs to bring them somewhat in line. Somewhat.

Pretty sure I kept the box for the OT, DN and AH I have. If I’ve got enough sticky tape I’ll see if I can fashion a cardboard millenium falcon.

(I’d do Boba Fett’s Slave 1, but too many curvy bits)

2 Likes

can’t really afford to upgrade so… yeah gonna keep tinkering on the models :sunglasses:

1 Like

And it’s been very inspiring for many of us!

1 Like

It definitely won’t.

You realise of that when seeing stuff from Ivar Tryti, Baseck, or other hardcore users :slight_smile:

It is definitely not about having more but about making the most of the current owned one.

Already the Digitone looks like a pretty powerful tool by itself on this video, doesn’t it?

4 Likes

Baseck with Syntakt, seems more powerful for his style…

4 Likes

wow! thanks for sharing :slight_smile: I missed that one!

I will deff look into it but just a quick flick through didnt impressed me as much as the one with the Digitone… I will give it another careful look :slight_smile:

thanks again :wink:

1 Like

About pairs :
Best Elektron pairs

I usually prefer to work with only sequencer box; I can make songs with the Syntakt or Octatrack only, but my setup will be highly probably based on OT + ST, if I have time to make more serious stuff.

I like what I did with OT only, with a sample of its metronome as only source…

I’m not sure to keep A4 MKI yet if I don’t use it enough, unless I make a complementary setup…
Keeping my 2 Analog Drive.

I had MD, AR, AH, DT, DN.

1 Like

The two only Elektron Box I would be able to use doing a song with one box would be the OT.
Just because of slice mode for drums and being able to make melody on 3, 4 tracks and add some effect on top.
And it could sound like a track in the end.

And AR because you can easily do sample, drum and synthesis. With some sound lock on the 8 track you can achieve to a decent goal. There is so much on synthesis+sample you can do with AR.

All other Elektron box, used alone will sound like when I try that : I try to make a performance without enough skills :sweat_smile:. And some sound will be not pleasant to me. For example making drum with the monomachine :sweat_smile: works but not awesome :joy:. And I know I lack some talent for trying to achieve that.

And two box is for me the optimal.
You create a project with the same name on both box. The midi setup is easy. Does not take much space. And if you feel you need a bit more you put a hardware synth and fx to get the thing which might be lacking.

1 Like

Good thread. I think simplicity is key when performing with Elektron machines and more than 2 machines can be overwhelming.
In my opinion a minimal setup with a Digitone into the external input of Syntakt is the best of both worlds.

• filter and distortion from the Syntakt to give the FM sounds some analogue character
  • easy ducking/sidechain effects on everything coming in from the digitone through the fx track
  • the Syntakt synth engines are a great addition for timbres that are hard to program with FM
  • while digitone can create excellent percussive sounds, I find that programming drum sequences on the DN is a tedious process, especially if you need to cram multiple voices on a single track by copypasting trigs, plocking away while trig previewing stuff etc. With the Syntakt I can dedicate a track to cymbals in a set-and-forget-style and dont need to think about those snare sounds that I had to soundlock between my hihats when performing with the pattern.
  • the no kits/parts paradigm of the digitakt-range-machines where everything lives in the pattern and has the easy recall of everything with FN+No: kits can be very useful especially when working with more than one pattern per song but to me personally they often just add another unwanted layer of complexity that my small monkeybrain cant handle when performing with these machines.
  • the Digitone can be the master and send midi to the Syntakt so you can use the 4 free midi tracks on the DN for more LFOs and Midi CCs on the Syntakt
2 Likes

started making techno on my a4mk1, turned into something other than techno.

I’ve never made a full “released” track on only a4, but after those long days at work I find I can still create on it when ableton would’ve felt too much like a chore. so i leave things a bit chabby, and that’s okay. instead just enjoying the process of making something.

7 Likes

This sounds very John Tejada-esque. Nice sounds :slight_smile:

2 Likes

glad you enjoyed it(: i’ll have to check out john tejada!

I haven’t recorded anything yet, but a simple thing I did with the OT & Syntrx:

Two Analog Heats and a motherfucking crossfader

2 Likes

ot and rytm for me. incredible combo.

3 Likes

I’m with you on this, OT & Rytm +/- 1/2 synths on rotation is my entire setup these days.

1 Like

Lately I’ve learned to stop worrying and love the bomb… Digitakt is such a powerful and capable monosampler, but in my current configuration it is basically acting as a souped up audio interface with a built in compressor. This effectively frees up an FX slot on Octatrack T8 master, with the added bonus of compression coming after tape stop/freeze delay in the signal chain, so those stutters can smack even harder.

1 Like

2:45 :ok_hand:

1 Like