What's Your Ultimate/Favourite 2x Elektron Set Up And Why?

That’s similar to me… I haven’t touched Logic in some time now, apart from a bit of mix mastering.

I got to the point where the 64 steps/4 bars felt limiting so added an MPC Live to get past that… but I keep coming back to the AR/A4 rig.
I do love the fact that I can now sample the A4 sounds into the MPC and have poly access to them… it’s seeming that the MPC unlocks all restrictions and stops me having to go back to the computer at all. (I know this isn’t about the MPC though :upside_down_face:)…

1 Like

OT DN.

Do I really need to point out why?

3 Likes

Yeah, the one GASsing thing I have (heh, AH is the other one) is something to record on to. I was thinking 1010 Bluebox. I also wondering about an MPC (I was looking at the One, or a hipster old 1000) as a sort of “brain” in the middle/DAW for the set up. I feel like I am a good few months away from that though.

OT/AK for me.

It depends what I’m up to.

AR MkII/A4 MkII
MD/OT MkII (or MnM if I had one)
DT/DN

I think Elektron did well with their ‘’pairings’’.

If I had the Models : M:C/M:S

Edit : and, of course, Heat with any pairings.

2 Likes

Dual Octatracks, at the moment. Because it multiplies the flexibility of Elektron’s most capable device.

Also, plenty more answers here (search is your friend) —

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/best-combo-gear/13791/

And here:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/best-elektron-pairs/53946/

5 Likes

Adam, is it possible to make a 128 step sequencer by linking them together?

OT and AH. Them and a bunch of pedals would be fine with me for the rest of my life.

2 Likes

You don’t need two to do that. Pattern chain on one OT will do the job.

4 Likes

Thanks. Never even thought of that.

1 Like

I do remember the love I felt and the simplicity of OT+AH. Running some great samples through the Heat just sounded ace. I have to work harder with the RYTM to dial in things that sound interesting to me.

1 Like

Rytm & OT.
King of drums (sorry MD) and king of samplers.

3 Likes

Bit off topic, but:

Eventually my AR will probably marry an A4. Really love the AR and it’s ability to be a Digitakt on steroids. The A4 would be for pads/leads etc.

Only one hesitation: when I had the DT/DN-combo, changing patterns was a disaster.

When I changed pattern lenghts on the DT, the DN would start to lag behind in changing a pattern. How’s that with the combo’s you guys are using?

I am struggling with even basic chaining on Ar + A4. The chain is two patterns. They’re 64 steps long on both AR and A4. I start the chain off on AR. A4 changes from p1 to p2 and then just stays on p2, AR does as you’d expect and loops between p1 and p2. Haven’t figured it out yet.

I also find the clock a bit unreliable. Sometimes A4 is lagging, but a quick stop-start fixes it. BPM is 158…maybe it’s OK at lower BPM?!

EDIT: This isn’t meant to be a cross post, you asked. But I have just created a topic for this today.

Now I’ve added a 3rd pattern to the chain it seems that A4 is just way behind. It gets to the 3rd pattern when the AR is playing the 1st pattern for the 3rd time!

This seems pretty basic. I see the pattern change flashing on the A4, it just doesn’t happen in time. Maybe in chains the Prog Change event is just sent too late.

You can add 4 individual outputs to the A4! I did it, though I ended up selling it to @DonovanDwyer.

My 2 boxes would probably be the DN and OT. Synthesis and sampling in a nice little pair!

3 Likes

All my 2018-2019 shows were with the OT/MD pairing, loved it.

If we ever get back to it, I’m thinking OT/Rytm is the new pairing, to take advantage of the Rytm dual VCO.

3 Likes

MnM and MD for me. Its the way they sound and their quirky nature.

1 Like

A4 + AR. Mk 2 for both.

I only have two elektron boxes but for me having a digital and analogue groovebox in the DN and A4 MKI feels very powerful. Still very much in discovery mode with both.