Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Doesn’t the TT-303mk2 miss the original 303 sequence input mode, with separate pitch- and time-mode??
(A bit hard to find out for a non-owner since the manual isn’t available for free download…)

I dunno think they share the same firmware so it must be the same functions.

What I like to tell about the randomizer from TT303: it is the best of all randomizers! You can have different ‘degrees’ of randomization according to in which preset bank you are! It can totally shift, tie, uneven steps, etc.
Most randomizer don’t do weird things, and work only on 16 steps or shift some slides or accents like for example the boutique Roland tb. But on tt303 you can have the weirdest patterns ever. It’s supercool for coming up with some great patterns you would never make yourself, I suggest hanging some pedals (fuzz, dist, reverb, delay on it to test while programing/randomizing and listening!

2 Likes

yeah true, wtf they charge 5euro for a manual and can’t see a download link pff what a rip off.

1 Like

I don’t understand the obsession with running things on batteries though I don’t have an absurd need to record a bland ambient modular YouTube noodle on the side of a mountain / paragliding over a lake / surfing / while running a marathon dressed as broccoli.

Maybe my approach to social media needs a rethink , I need to plan a holiday to a mountain range and get charging those batteries.

14 Likes

I come from circuitbending and I am an 80’s kid, it has nothing to do with being social media minded at all! There is no obsession about batteries, it’s just safer to bend haha and batteries means mostly portability and usability outside! I don’t have facebook, smartphone etc, hell would rather giving hundreds of euros for another synth or drummachine! Im from the time of walkman with batteries, Minidisc, discman, gameboy, tr505 etc some people like to play on the bus, being outside for a while having more inspiration, etc More and more so called ‘bedroom’ artist like to go outside also! And what’s more fun than playing with OP1 or a tb and volca beats for example then checking your stupid smartphone nowaydays or making music on your phone! It’s like the same with people into vinyl records!

1 Like

The Acid8 is quite different than a 303. Not sure why it was compared in this thread, other than it’s a machine for making a “similar” type of sound. It’s definitely not a clone, and is very different internally. For one it’s an 8 bit digital oscillator (if I remember correctly) and also a state variable filter (also if I remember correctly) rather than a transistor/diode ladder. It’s not bad, but definitely not a replacement for a 303 or 303-clone if that’s the sound you’re after.

4 Likes

Yes, Mk2 can do that. IIRC, Mk1 and Mk2 are the same functionwise.

So I have exactly $150 credit given to me from Perfect Circuit Audio (long story) so it’s either and ECC-4 bag and PL2-s protective cover for my Digitone. Or a Behringer TD-3. Thoughts? I don’t currently have any 303 and the closest I can get is my Bass Station 2 or Sh01a. This is tempting!!!

ECC-4 really looks nice :innocent:

But can it do acid lines?

2 Likes

Guess no…and everybody needs a 303^^ :blush:

2 Likes

Given the choice between a bag and a synth I know which I’d take… although it’s worth pointing out I’ve got enough synths to build a house out of. The zip on my bag is broken too…

1 Like

I’m not too familiar with Behringer’s current track record as far as quality of the products they are making. Should I worry about this device since it’s so new? Hardware wise? Software wise?

Build quality wise the general consensus is most of the stuff has been better than expected. Short term there have been bugs but they seem to get ironed out fairly quickly. Long term, who knows but as others have pointed out at £99 I think it’d be fair to say they might nor last for ever.

Conversely at £99 there’s no excuse for not having a backup unit either.

1 Like

By all accounts the original TB-303 isn‘t exactly built like a tank either.

9 Likes

every synth can do some sort of acid ‘flavour’! I would rather maybe go for the Crave

1 Like

It was me who brought up the Acid8 so I guess I should expand… I never intended the comparison as being authentic as compared to the original 303. I did say “acid-ish” as I was talking more generally about aspects of what you’d call an acid sound. As that would be what I’d use a TD-3 for, rather than as a means to emulate classic acid 100% accurately. Which doesn’t seem too off topic for this thread…

But I just refreshed myself with some Acid8 vids on YouTube to save firing up the music gear… I love, love, love how it sounds. Especially with the lower bitrate waveforms.

I’m sure for many that the TD-3 will be a far better choice.

3 Likes

These are begging to be circuit bent at that price. I think these will be classics in their own right

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Behringer era

I can buy three TD-3s - one of each color because all silver would be boring - to join my TT-303 MkI, and finally start ripping off TM404

Or just buy a red one and a blue one and only rip off his triple 303 tracks