Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Somebody inquired about the sound differences in the Loopop video. This is an interesting response by Behringer.

Oh and I ordered a silver one, I couldn’t resist. Perfect Circuit Audio is now selling these in the US.

6 Likes

IMHO there is no “emulating” acid sound. Either your track sounds like acid or it doesn’t. What gear you used? not really important.

I wonder if you can devilfish mod these… that’s a raw, piercing sound right there!

7 Likes

saw that. the filter doesn’t close as fully as the original tho. unless theres a trim pot under the hood it’s a fair bit off.
that, and the glide seems much weaker than the original.

ive preordered wan but I’m not too convinced by the sound thus far. hoping for some tweakable settings. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

I do not see the problem; you can get an OG for 20 times the money, or build a RE-303 for 10 times that. Can get an XoXboX and pray for a good copy…
150€ and people complain; nice acid box, it is not an OG and could not care less about that.

4 Likes

just noting the differences is all.

3 Likes

The MAM MB33 is sold for similar money in a metal case and is ‘made in Germany’. Presumably in relatively small runs.

6 Likes

Wow that’s a lovely little unit, if I didn’t already have so many emu’s I’d buy this

I love both of mine. Did a side by side with it (using the SEE to sequence) and an OG 303 plus a x0xbox, and while sounding acidic, it was’nt a one-to-one soundwise. There’s also quite a bit of white noise to the filter when cranking up the resonance.

Still a good sounding little box, tho.

Looks good. For midi control could this be controlled/sequenced of tr8-s trigger out or would it need a proper midi sequencer(OT or the like)??

Mb33 needs midi, and has no CC.
That means you need to twist those knobs if you want variation in sound.
You can do glides via double notes and accent via velocity.

Cheers.

Not sure if glides and accent can be controlled by trigger outs. Never used triggers outs. Only normal midi sequencing from Octatrack.

Quite temped to pair one of these with a TR8-S if it would be all ok.

If the TR8S can only send triggers I don’t think it will work, the MB33 needs a MIDI sequencer to send notes

1 Like

Trigger out is not midi so no.

The Elektron sequencers work great. But if you need an inbuilt sequencer you might be better with the TD-3. The TR8-S trigger-out could clock a TB-03 I guess.

Huh? I thought the desktop MB33 Retro was based on the MB33 Mk2 rack unit which had midi cc control.

no :wink:

its a smol synthy

Thought as much…thanks.

There’s been a lot of flags popping up in this thread, many of which have been corrected/rejected. Misusing the flags is no better than contributing posts which merited a flag, there has to be a bit of give and take, especially on hot threads. Plus it’s a pain for the moderators to review these, they’re not a hidden tool to control the narrative of a discussion.

It should be noted that a rejected flag will automatically diminish the flagger’s ability to flag posts, this is entirely a system controlled thing. You develop a positive system ranking by flagging and doing so appropriately and you reduce your status when you do so inappropriately.

Everyone is welcome to post in any thread, especially people with relevant knowledge and expertise, whether critical or supportive

However, misuse of flags is not acceptable nor is the censure of others as part of a personal spat

Let’s keep it civil; in polarised debates people will never reach agreement, it might be best to just accept the diverging views of others.

https://www.elektronauts.com/guidelines

28 Likes

Just wanted to say that I am probably not alone in appreciating the hard work of the moderators.

14 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

All I know is , the very first song I ever output to a .wav file was a track called “Acidic” that I made on Propellerhead’s Rebirth in 1998. Over 20 years later I’ll be purchasing my first 303 based synth (TD-3) and it feels like I’ve come full circle. I had no idea I would still be trying my hand at music two decades later, but maybe I owe this entire endeavor to the 303 sound. Ironically enough, as a an ignorant 16 year old, back then I didn’t even really know what acid music was. Hah! Oh the nostalgia.

10 Likes