Behringer Synth [Deepmind 12]

The Deepmind 12 is a very nice synth.
Well built and sounds great .
Remind me alot of my Juno 106 i had a long time ago.
Presets are awful and are drenched in fx but its not because the engine is bad , its just the programmer. The thing sounds so much better without all that reverb imo.

I use it as a 6 voices poly with 2 OSCs et 2 SUBs most of the time.
What i do is use the unisson 2 mode and you can change specific parameters only for the second voices, like osc tuning , filter params , env etc . Its brillant really !

To my hear i think it sounds way better than the Prophet 8 from DSI but i think i prefer the A4 which is more dark even if i think the Deepmind is richer sounding.

1 Like

Please, @sovietpop, would you mind throwing a bunch of demos of DM12 ?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had mine a bout two weeks now. It does sound great and it is well built. I for one love the FX engine. It has it all and has very flexible routing. Some great stuff in there. Eventide Space style Blackhole and Shimmer Verbs. I have a Space and TimeFactor auxā€™d up to my mixer but having extra ones built in to the synth is awesome.

My main issue is with the sliders. They are a bit wobbly and move too quickly. Funny that they should not try to improve on this design. There are a few Moog style knobs on there too, and they feel rock solid. Would have preferred more of those.

There are a number of other issues that require OS updates.

After I initialize a patch, the VCA will not fade in when the Attack time is set to a high value. The VCA is silent and then kicks in at 20% volume and then fades in from there. This is a massive problem as far as Iā€™m concerned.

A number of other OS related bugs have been reported. I read through a few of them on the forum but have only come across that one so far.

I hope they keep on top of these issues with regular updates and donā€™t pull a DSI Tempest with it

1 Like

Eventide style? Really?

1 Like

I think there designed by tc elektronic and another company Iā€™m not familiar with. I like TC fx tho I havenā€™t used a deep mind yet. Kind of fell off my radar as it dragged on and I forgot about it. Still hope the module comes along.

Yep the Fx are really really nice. Even that multiband distortion FX is quite awesome imo. Its apparently a direct port from their very very expensive Midas console (30000$)

1 Like

TC reverbs like the hall of fame are nice, but nothing on an eventide space.

I would not compare the Fx to Eventide imo (especially because there are not that modulable ex : time param etc )
but they have to be the best FX iā€™ve heard in any synth iā€™ve tried in my life.

2 Likes

No, maybe not high end compared to purpose built eventide boxes, but I think they may be at least better than the average synth fxā€¦ But I havenā€™t heard whatā€™s in DM either.

Yeah I had a Blackhole Shimmer on one of the patches. It was immense

1 Like

Some have more parameters than others

I noticed the Room Verb has like 10+ parameters but the Deep Verb has only 5 (including Wet : Dry)

Curious

Seems like a step in the right direction at least. Sucks that most hardware comes with lame or mediocre fx. Not a problem if you have a minimal setup, but if you have a bunch of synths/samplers/Guitar and have to juggle pedals etc around all your gear it can be a drag.

Be good to see how things are looking in a few years. Ideally Synths/samplers coming with fx suites as broad/varied as Roland SP sampler fx options and comparable quality to vst. Would make certain workflow stuff way more convenient/funā€¦

3 Likes

Certainly would. Not to mention saving space and I/O - my constant battle.

1 Like

@Cocker and any DM12 owner, please shoot your demos, even if itā€™s just an ambient patch or to show how the reverb sounds like it was done for dub techno !
:smile:

1 Like

Deffo. The fx side I hadnā€™t given much though on this, but I can see more reaching out and sourcing fx designers from respected names, as opposed to doing em in house (if thatā€™s how itā€™s done) in a kind of, add on for the sake of it being there fashionā€¦ saying that I donā€™t mind cheap fx over none. : )

2 Likes

Thereā€™s one on my instagram page

Just a quick snap using my phone

Bonus cats too

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQU7bP5A83p/?taken-by=cockur

Klark Teknik are really well renowned. Stuff like the DN780 and the DN-50 spring reverb.

I did some classic patch juno - jupiter style just for fun.
Deepmind demo

Really like this synth.

2 Likes

Thank you very much !!
You really manage to show the inner character of the synth, itā€™s by far the most informative demo Iā€™ve heard !!

1 Like

this looks alright i guessā€¦

1 Like