Behringer RD-9

@xmit I haven’t watched the video above. Can’t watch it right now.

I am basing it on all the 808 and 909 samples I have. I am not saying the 909 kick is crap. It’s very subjective and to each person’s taste.

The basic 808 kick is softer, rounder and feels more warm. While the basic 909 kick sound harder, harsh and feels thinner (tight?) (just hard to describe specifically).
This is not talking down the 909 kick and seeing it as it a negative, since it just depends what you are after.

If you want a booming big bass, people tend to use the 808 kick.
If you want a hard stomping bass, people tend to use the 909 kick.

Maybe I make it more clear that way and seriously, producers use so many FX, EQ and multi-layering on kicks that they change beyond recognition and to the point it almost doesn’t matter anymore what kick you use as starting point.

Behringer has responded to the kick criticisms (kickcrits?) in replies to some of the comments on the original YouTube vid.

I can’t copy YT comments from my phone app so I suggest looking for the one that starts “Kicks not quite there yet…”

^
all fair points. all irrelevant here however.

the kick sounds nothing like a 909. the rest of it sounds ok - but not 100% accurate…nowhere near really. Whether this matters or not is of course a moot point. Probably not I’d say : in which case why don’t Behringer just make their own analogue drum machine, like Elektron did, or Arturia, & stop with all the copying ? Leave that to Roland - they’re entitled to do so.

that’s it really.

Buy if you must I guess, but there are seriously better options out there IMHO.

And with that -I’m out people. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Turns out I was bang on.

1 Like

Funny that they’d release a video with everything sounding pretty bang on but the kick and then claim this in the comments.

I want to say pics or it didn’t happen but it’s audio :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Yeah, you’d think they’d go for as authentic a kick as possible at this point.
Is Behringer though so…

1 Like

Sounds like the Kick left with Kirn :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They should call it the RD-Nein :rofl:

Nein oh nein!

Joking aside, very weird decision to “we’re gonna give you a wider pitch range” which is going to mess with the whole accuracy of the 909 kick and make dialling in the exact sound range of an original 909 more difficult.

Weird why? 2 reasons:

1. On other clones they have done they have copied some undesirable limitations of the originals, without recognising that people would prefer that they changed these.

2. If you are making a clone and you don’t want people to say it doesn’t sound right, make it sound exactly right or don’t bother making a clone in the first place.

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this a bit, and actually its juridically better for behringer to not get the sound 100% identical. Which is probably why the clave on my RD-8 doesnt sound anywhere close.

As for myself, I dont care about the kick. Its the synthetic toms, sd and clap that I lust after. My A4 is the ultimate kick drum machine, I’m good already.

1 Like

Reminds me of “you are holding it wrong”.

1 Like

Lol :rofl:

2 Likes

hahaha it sounds like absolute garbage. seriously, they’re usually pretty close but WOW the whole thing is just wrong.

3 Likes

I agree, all of the sounds are off and the filter sounds like a muddy mess.

1 Like

A ruddy mess …how about a fu-kirn mess ?

:grinning:

Convenient video release to change the subject.

4 Likes

Damage control for sure.

5 Likes

They also dropped a video of RD-6 in new colors. Not enough to get the focus away from yesterdays scandal. Only a combined release of a working CS-80 and Ob-Xa clone could do that.

1 Like

:rofl:

10 Likes

Seriously though, it should be the other way round :smile:

I think it sounded good. Not spot on but I expect it will get closer. Still lusting more after a new MD…

I wonder though why some of you are spending time in this thread. You are obviously emotionally invested somehow. If I did not have an interest in a product I would simply not spend time on it. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I don’t think that we must wait for another 909, but take RD09 for what it is, just a drum machine.
I’m sure lot of people not aware of what is 909, I mean the legend around it, specially young people, wil be happy to play with and maybe this drum machine will surprise us with unexpected sound quality.
The best is to wait without dreaming of a 300 euro 909.

2 Likes