Behringer RD-9

:rofl:

1 Like

@thelurch Itā€™s the internet. Where people can be anonymous and thrive on trolling and spreading hate, hoping on triggering a reaction out of people.

Itā€™s one of the major reasons I stay away from toxic forums like Gearslutz. Itā€™s just a shame seeing this forum turning more and more into Gearslutz lately.

I donā€™t think I will be around here much longer if this continues. :frowning:

One great way to keep the vibe positive is stay on topic and talk about the gear, instead of the toxicity of it all.

For those eager to buy one, what do you folks plan to do with the RD-9?

6 Likes

Every demo Behringer has released of their new synths/drum machines has been garbage so Iā€™m not surprised to see that this one is too. Iā€™m definitely skeptical of how this clone is going to shape up but hopefully it is just like their other demos, just doing a poor job of showcasing what it can do. Otherwise, Iā€™m going to have to look at other options. I have a Digitakt at the moment but the lack of individual outs is really putting a ceiling on what I can do with drum processing. I might end up just putting down the money for a piece of Jomox kit.

Combine with RD-8, rytm, m:c, A4, volca sample et al :loopy:

I dont care too much what others think about the product, everyone has an opinion

1 Like

I would be tempted if the kick is right.
If I was to use one Iā€™d be using it for its multiple outputs into a dedicated sub mixer for making old school gabber tracks.
I had a TR8, I liked it but there just werenā€™t enough outputs. I have a Digitakt (which is why I donā€™t want to fork out for a TR8S) but it feels a bit too clean for gabber tracks and also doesnā€™t have multiple outputs.
The TD9 could be perfect for me, but only if the kick is right and not too much of a faff, as Iā€™ll be distorting the shit out of it and need to be able to rely on it being consistent and predictable when I turn a knob.
I really donā€™t give a toss about all the extras, I just want an analogue 909 clone that wonā€™t cost a fortune.
Iā€™m not really that bothered though. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty of people that will buy it however it sounds, which is why I think Behringer are not panicking over getting it to sound exactly the same as a 909.

1 Like

I donā€™t know who to say this to but may I suggest that the title of the topic should be Behringer RD9, since they are not legally allowed to use RD909 ?

I donā€™t mean to start a debate but I thought this was relevant, especially if people looking for info on the RD-9 canā€™t find this topic.

3 Likes

Please donā€™t take this as a personal attack or anything - itā€™s genuniely not - :slight_smile:
ā€¦but itā€™s just this bit that baffles meā€¦ What is the obession with the analogue bit ?

I used to have a TR-909ā€¦ I bought the TR-09 when they came out : I pretty much could find no meaningful differences on a practical level, soundwise or programming-wise. Roland absolutely nailed it with the ACB.

Now, if you said to me ā€œbut the TR-09 is too smallā€ or ā€œI need separate outputs on 1/4ā€ jacks" Iā€™d get that 100%. Totally.
But itā€™s just this ā€œanalogueā€ obsession bit that people seem to have, not accepting that Roland have - to all practical intents & purposes - cloned their classics almost perfectly with ACB.

2 Likes

I can only speak for myself here and Iā€™m not trying to imply that others feel the same. What Iā€™m really looking for is not the drum machine, but the way I felt when I was 35 years younger and first heard tracks made with it. Now Iā€™m a middle aged guy with a gut and going raving properly is but a distant memory. Even an exact clone of the original x0x boxes wonā€™t fix that, though. Still, the longing remains.

7 Likes

I dont agree with you on the ā€œACB nailing it partā€. I mean, TR-09 is a much much better emulation than TR-08 but still I felt like the snare drum wasnt on point in the TR-09. And no indiouts. This is why I sold mine in anticipation of the RD-9.

I havenā€™t tried the TR8S but from what I have read, it sounds the same as TR-08 & TR-09, neither of which satisfied me.

1 Like

well the TR-09 sounds a lot more like a real 909 than that RD-9 travesty :rofl:

I thought the snare was fine.

1 Like

I had the Roland tr8 and it didnā€™t have that silky analog sound to meā€¦
Never thought it sounded great. There is a difference to my ear itā€™s smoother

Ahh so you are judging a nonexistent product without using it yourself? Not how I roll. I will buy the RD-9 and make my mind up when I hear it in person. Just like I did with the Roland ACBs.

1 Like

fair enough.

Personally I wouldntā€™ buy Behringer if it was the last brand on earthā€¦ for a host of reasonsā€¦ but weā€™ve all had that debate countless times & itā€™s definitely not worth revisiting . :+1::slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m full of shit so I dont really care why you dislike behringer products. I will enjoy what I want and go to hell for it, nuff said. Having said that, I still think the recent Roland 101 & 707 are cool bits of kit even if I donā€™t enjoy their ACB models.

I did say pretty explicitly why I wanted an analogue clone and why Rolandā€™s recent (and commendable) efforts arenā€™t quite right for my use case.
I want the individual outputs, preferably in 1/4 inch jacks, which are unavailable on any of the digital clones.
Iā€™m not an analogue purist, Iā€™ve got the TB03 and SH01a and have owned and enjoyed the TR8 but, as I said, I would be very tempted by the RD9, in spite of Behringer acting like fuckwits, if they get the kick right, as it would then meet the needs of the project I have in mind for it, which no previous 909 clone has without pretty annoying compromises.

1 Like

never said you had to care :slight_smile:
Absolutely - buy what you want.

Hell doesnā€™t exist. :grinning:

There is no ACB in the 101 & 707, itā€™s only samples ^^

the original is only half-analog though :rofl:

2 Likes

really, I thought most comments stated the opposite opinion. my memory might be wrong though