Behringer RD-9

sux then. means you have to use a mixer.

this is the thing i hate most about my tanzmaus. deal breaker.

To be able to pan each voice individually isnā€™t complicated, but it does require significant parts count in the analog world. More op amps, more pots, and a bunch of passives. Since these machines have individual outputs, this can be done via mixer in the studio, which IMO isnā€™t unreasonable. In a live situation, just how much panning would you do outside of maybe a small handful of the higher percussion (hihats, etcā€¦) Maybe just run a few through a pedal or small format mixer?

With digital machines this would be easier. It still requires more physical controls, but less of the other analog parts. (depending on implementation)

Either way, youā€™ll start approaching the cost of machines like Elektron or Jomox etc. (maybe not 1:1 since weā€™re talking about B, but significant nonetheless)

Thereā€™s also the fact that the RD series are replicating existing machines.

Not to say that I donā€™t agree that panning would be cool, but itā€™s a bit out of scope here I think.

5 Likes

The 909 itself didnā€™t have that feature that I recall? TR-8S might be the better option I guess.

2 Likes

Well weā€™re nearly in to May 2021 and still no show for the RD-9 I am thinking about the TR8s now as ULI and Co seem to be taking the piss haha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wonder why itā€™s taking so long? Dodgy Clap like the D16 Drumazon (phasing) :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

A laundry lists of potential/possible reasons:

• It all started because they wanted to wait on updating/improving the RD-8 firmware, so they could incorporate the same changes and additionally improve some of the sounds based on initial feedback and demos.

• Then COVID happenedā€¦ even more delays due to just about anything and everything, but certainly factory closures and then all non-manufacturing staff having to go remote.

• If COVID wasnā€™t enough, now a worldwide semiconductor shortage is occurring, becauseā€¦ COVID. Pretty much every industry is being impacted and Iā€™m sure Behringer is as well to varying degrees. At least one other manufacturer (Isla Instruments) has said once their current stock of SOCā€™s (processor for the instrument) is out itā€™s game over (no more shipments) until things recover and thereā€™s no ETA on that except wait and see.

• Thereā€™s a worldwide shortage of shipping containers and freight shipping in general is very unpredictable at the moment.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything other than dramatic turn of events that have lead to the continued delay, but Iā€™m personally fine with it. Iā€™m glad they initially delayed it in order to improve things instead of just pushing out what they had. I donā€™t think they could have anticipated everything else that happened afterwards that would continue to pile on to the situation. Iā€™m sure they want to get units sold and out there. I think itā€™ll happen this calendar year, but thatā€™s just pure speculation and who knows at this point.

4 Likes

I have a brand new RD-8 sitting in its box waiting for itā€™s brother haha

2 Likes

Same here. But I stopped allowing my RD-8 to sit in the box many months ago. It was happy to get some fresh air and release pent up beats. :slight_smile:

1 Like

doesnā€™t work by itself? that sucks. shit design, imho. they should address that in the RD-9 as well.

8 Likes

My setup is getting smaller Ivā€™e sold loads of gear Iā€™m left withā€¦

• Akai MPCX
  • x2 TD-3
  • Mam MB33
  • Neutron
  • Digitone Keys
    RD-8
    ā€¦and just waiting for this, the RD-9 and Iā€™m done :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
1 Like

In the @PeterHanes style, previously on elektronauts:

I think you need a looper instead of a drum machine! :wink:

3 Likes

Behringer posted this on Facebook earlier, so Iā€™m sharing it as it echoā€™s many of the comments and speculations in the thread. Added emphasis where relevant.

"Manufacturing and Shipment delays. As you may have noticed, many products experience dramatic shipment delays. Covid and increased demand have put an unprecedented constraint on the supply of electronic chips and even shipping containers, to the point that car manufacturers had to shut down complete plants.

*We are equally facing shortage of these chips, which is causing serious manufacturing delays. In some cases chips now face an allocation of over one year and more. Be assured that weā€™re doing our utmost to mitigate this situation, but there are only limited options.

We thank you for your understanding and continuous support."

Full link and references:

https://www.facebook.com/Behringer/posts/10159331665103914

3 Likes

Ah screw this Iā€™m gonna buy a TR8s sick of waiting :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hereā€™s the pre - order :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Link:

BEHRINGER RD-9

1 Like

Itā€™s over $1000 dollars? Thatā€™s quite a price for Behringer.

1 Like

btw, it cracks me up that youā€™re sick of waiting but by your own admission donā€™t even have your studio set up, and wonā€™t for quite some time! all your stuffā€™s in boxes anyway, why do you care if thereā€™s just one more box there!?! :rofl:

1 Like

Probably be the same price as the RD-8 or thereabouts, this is most definitely a misprint. If I was paying over 1k for a drum machine itā€™d be the JOMOX Alpha Base i would be getting. My issue is that people are saying something about chips not being available blah blah blah but Behringer said these would be released a while back so basically they had a few prototypes and never really ordered a mass of chips to get this thing out there, just saying :+1:

Dopamine is a hell of a drug.

4 Likes

You donā€™t order a ā€œmass of chipsā€ until the design is finalized. Also the global ā€œjust in timeā€ supply chain doesnā€™t lend itself well to stockpiling.

Behringer is not the only company being set back by this ahem, ā€œglobalā€ chip shortage.

You can choose to believe or not believe that a once in a hundred years event had serious repercussions for global trade, but whatever you decide to believe isnā€™t going to make an RD-9 land on your front step any sooner.

I think the ā€œissueā€ many people have is theyā€™re used to getting the things they want quickly, and not used to a global pandemic throwing a giant wrench into the spokes of commerce. I highly recommend meditation if this really frustrates you. No one person has control over this. It is an incredibly complex ordeal. Consider moving your focus onto things you can control.

18 Likes

Light at the end of the tunnel ?

6 Likes

Iā€™ll believe it when I see it. We have been told itā€™s ready at least twice before this announcement

2 Likes