Behringer RD-9

Yeah that’s my point. It’s around 15 to 20mm (depending on your rack) too wide to sit inside. 10mm off the inner edge of each rail is a fair chunk. It’s doable I suppose.

This is assuming that the front panel doesn’t extend into the end cheeks either. The measurements I’ve take are of the base panel as you can see where it stops in relation to the end cheeks.

Correct, they are (unsurprisingly) not scissor keys. Not as precise feeling as Elektron Digis etc but equally as … er … mediocre as the TR8s or TR09. The size is lovely for moving around quickly and it’s completely intuitive to use (unlike MFBs imho).

I was expecting worse build quality feels than the modern Rolands but it’s on par.

The power lead is a bit short though. MW will be happy, at least they have that to moan about.

I had to return mine for a replacement. Play/pause button was sticky and stayed down. New one seems fine though.

Its so cheap. How do they do it. Remarkable.

Cheers for this. I have since ditched the user guide and found the proper manual.

Trigger out BD assignable

Mine just mimics trig 1 (the rimshot).

[I’ve had a dig under Settings>Preferences and tweaked Analogue Clock settings but they don’t have any effect on those three outputs it seems. I wonder what assignable means in this context? Changeable via software perhaps?]

So there initial outlay is higher which makes them risk takers?

1 Like

At the risk of sounding like a dick, if this thread descends into business practices, the thread will be killed when the arguments kick off

Rd-9 , does it sound 909, people happy with it , anyone doing something original with it other than endless 4/4 stompy techno ?

4 Likes

Mine’s arriving tomorrow! Planning to make some DNB with it.

I suppose they have a bigger bank balance too so if it goes wrong their not wiped out in one blow.

yeah it’s about what I’d expect for the price.

would’ve been interesting if they’d done a rack or sequencer-less version. probably a lot of people will just use it as a sound module and sequence via midi. and I have gotten the sense before that a lot of their hold up with these machines has been getting the sequencer right. but I guess they also don’t make a sequencer, so that kinda kills the “use our stuff” vibe…

1 Like

Good idea. That certainly might be possible. They spun off a Eurorack VCO from their 2600. ( thread posting ) They have been looking for things to put in Eurorack, and parts like you describe are ready made. Almost to the edge of innovation.

A 909 smaller form factor desktop or rack version, no sequencer and even cheaper would sell amazingly I think. Probably would be an instabuy for me.

2 Likes

Tiptop (and others) did it in eurorack, so Uli probably will also :confused:

The RD-9 sequencer definitely goes beyond a 909 - you can record/edit the bus filter parameters per step and save that per pattern. No midi note-out, sadly … as far as I can tell.

They were suggesting a euro rack version last year.

@Jukka: Behringer floats the idea of a Eurorack RD-9 - gearnews.com

1 Like

Thanks for that micabeza. Yeah that’s vaguely familiar now. ( I even posted about it. ) The RS-9. They project $149 !

And an RS-8 and RS-6 maybe.

Behringer Sequencers :

The BCR32 ( Zaquencer ) someday ?soon?. ( thread )

Plus three Eurorack ones available now :

• The 960
  • The 182
  • The 1027

ADDED : They are also playing with the idea of an ARP 1601 replica. I posted about that in the Behringer Gear In Progress thread.

Given the price of the unit I don’t know what I expected, but:

• I hate the buttons. They look like computer keyboard keys and you expect them to behave like computer keyboard keys but they don’t. They are rubbery and uncertain. Pressing them gives me mild anxiety.
  • I don’t think it sounds very good. The hats are very limited in the range of sounds available, the snare must have some sort of weird tonality going on unless it’s super short. The kick is unimpressive, even with the compressor engaged.
  • It’s very large for what it is. I wish it was 60% of the size. I suspect some cost savings come from the form factor.

It’s ok for the price. Not great.

1 Like

Sweaty palms

1 Like

This made me laugh out loud.

4 Likes

I was gonna comment but the post flaggers lurk on here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

It seems like you didn’t read up on the buttons or listen to a 909/ the demos
Or consider it’s same as or similar to rd8 size wise , and there are details of the dimensions around the internet. I think it’s similar / smaller than a 909.

It seems to be a good match of an og 909 sound wise with a few extras

Flip it on eBay / here and move on .

2 Likes