Behringer PRO-800

I’m interested to see if the collaboration with GliGli has led to some further enhancements, stuff he couldn’t do within the limitations of the original hardware but is now possible.

If he’s had a hand in the firmware I can’t see it having the midi issues of some of the other clones so that’s got to be a positive! If they let him loose on the rest of their synths…well, I’m sure we’d all be happy

Edit. My assumption is he’s a he. If she’s a she then I do apologise.

1 Like

Nick in the Sonic Talk discussion mentioned that one of his enhancements was stereo output, something he thought was not in this prototype.

Another idea I saw discussed elsewhere was the possibility of daisy chaining two units for 16 voices, though this seems almost overkill to me.

You’re right, having Behringer collaborate with various experts on their projects is good all round. They worked with Rob Keeble on their 2600 in a similar way, and there are others.

So if this is to be in production early 2021, that means there is still a little time for some small changes and improvements.

2 Likes

Can I ask why people seem disappointed at the lack of stereo outs? Did the 600 have the ability to stereo spread the voices, or is there another feature I’m not thinking of. My poly hardware synths either don’t have stereo outs or only take advantage of stereo while using their internal effects.

You can ask Nick Batt — but yes according to him in the video above, the 600 with modifications like those done by GliGli have a stereo output, and i presume that includes some control for the spread of the output audio signal too.

I found a list of some other enhancement from GliGli that one might presume will be in the PRO-800:

• Increased resolution for sound parameters
  • Faster, smoother amplifier and filter envelope generators
  • New LFO function generator with a wider range
  • Dedicated vibrato
  • Unison detune
  • Mix Overdrive
  • Full Midi In control of parameters
  • Improved tuning procedure

I got this information from Adafruit.

There is also a Github site for GliGli.

3 Likes

Latest update

9 Likes

Looks and sounds great. This guy should do more videos for them.

3 Likes

Agreed. Charming fella. I’m surprised I like this synth, but I do. It’s almost SID-sounding, but a bit… livelier? Woodier? He’s got it singing for the demo, anyway.

1 Like

finally , i mean, let’s hope so

3 Likes

I got a chance to play the original at the swiss museum of electronic music instruments (the playroom), it was fun! The Prophet-600 can sound really smooth and juno-like with simple patches, or make guttural and aggressive basses with the unison mode. The filter impressed me with its flexibility, I couldn’t believe some of the sounds I was getting out of a polysynth.

The hardware itself was pretty crappy and the keyboard was terrible. Tuning the second oscillator was impossible and couldn’t be in tune with the first unless I used sync mode. Mixing the oscillators always seemed to come with a substantial loss in amplitude. Surprisingly the blister buttons and screen itself were fine. Seems like a perfect candidate to clone into a compact package if the sound is the same and they make the gligli improvements.

3 Likes

“In the next few months” lol

I’ll say it again — Big if true for Pro-800

Would be great with an Octatrack.
Been using my OT with MBP16” running Repro-5 controlled by SFC-5 MK2. An option with less latency to manage would be fun.

1 Like

I went back and listened to the video again now six months later. It had slipped by how good the Pro-800 sounds. Those swooping chords starting at 3:30 in the video - WOW. This seems like it might sneak up and surprise some people when it finally does make it to market.

5 Likes

Yea I like the darkness.
Like a delicious stout beer.
Thick, heavy, and can be considered a meal.

5 Likes

Lol, I’m listening to the video again too.

It sounds much better to me than the UB-Xa demo. I think one reason is they recorded the 800 with minimal or no FX in this video.

1 Like

Reviving this thread after watching the andertons ubxa demo to say I’ll be pretty annoyed if the ubxa gets released before this. I thought the pro-800 was all but finished! The pro800 demo was good and it seems like a straightforward device.

1 Like

This is on the Heinakroon custom overlay page. They’ve worked pretty closely with Behringer in the past so i take this as a sign.

4 Likes

I’m gonna have to make some more rack space.

1 Like

Estimated Price USD $599, Shipping April 2023

15 Likes

Sweet Juggling Jesus that sounds immense!

1 Like

Does sound really nice. He did play with the filter a bit, but a little concerned about possible stepping issues when doing sweeps due to the midi implementation. Sounds pretty great overall though!