Behringer Poly D

Indeed.

Behringer must know what polyphonic means as they made that Deep Mind 12.

In my experience at least, paraphonic and polyphonic are very different things. I dont find paraphony to be useful at all. I think people wanting actual polyphony will be disappointed if they get a behringer ‘Poly’ D.

2 Likes

It’s just standard bullshit marketing, stretching definitions to make something sound like more than it is. I wouldn’t think about it too much. Anyone buying it isn’t going to drop 700 on something from glancing at the word polyphonic. It still adds capability at a fraction of the cost of a minimoog

Got fooled by the volca keys saying poly though. Didn’t matter much in the end because I liked it at the time but I was a noob, and I didn’t catch that even after looking at reviews.

The price is indeed a factor but I wouldn’t be surprised if people would get fooled by it. I know some musicians that buy synth with a very bad understanding of synthesis in general, they just buy them because they “sound great” and they mostly watch sound demos rather than feature specs.

1 Like

Unless I missed it… i dont see the ugly danger sign looking Berhinger logo. Looks like almost a rebrand with just the Behringer name only. I hope that’s a new trend. That old logo is such a reminder to folks who hate Behringer… way to many negative feelings evoked by that old logo by so many.

Edit - nevermind saw it right on the front. O-well.

2 Likes

I couldnt agree more. The Chorus and Distortion Units are odd choices. Lack of PWM is also a shame.
Somehow it seems its rather an “almost” great Synth than being a great round package, like the Matriarch is.
Btw, the A4 with its very flexible voice architecture (voice round robin, free assignable voices, neighbour tracks, real unisono, monophonic Mode, etc) is a true polyphonic, and also quadruble independent tracks Synth for 287,50 € per voice.
I like the form factor. But trim potis…really? In 2019?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d take the A4 over this but it costs nearly double, and addresses a different set of needs.

This thing is for peeps who want a Moogy sounding keyboard that will let them play chords, and not cost too much. Not for peeps looking for a nice sequencing environment married to a powerful analog engine.

2 Likes

A4 is 287,50 € per voice…but i get your Point. Still i would prefer a Moog from Moog. The “Para D” is unfortunately not a round package imho. Sounds great, but odd design decisions regarding the synth engine. Imho they could it pushed much more into Modern Times. Well Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

The price point is the reason I brought up Minilogue XD instead of A4 - because it’s got a keyboard and it’s priced the same as the ParaD.

The DeepMind 12 is also a comparable alternative, as its priced the same too, but for some reason hardly anyone expresses a desire for it. I have my own reasons why I’d prefer the Korg over the DeepMind but in the interest of not contributing further noise/clutter I won’t reiterate them here.

A4 at nearly double the cost and no keyboard is a harder sell, even though it’s got the more capable synth engine. The 20-something muso looking for an affordable keyboard that will let them play chords with analog tones is going to look elsewhere.

3 Likes

Behringer are simply exploiting the oldest trick in the advertising handbook, which is Don’t sell a product, sell dreams

Specs and features don’t matter if you’re living the dream. Even if that dream is a fake, Dopamine is Dopamine, the greatest feature of all.

3 Likes

Im not impressed by the sound. sounds a bit stiff and overdriven, judging by the youtube videos.

I think this sits between two chairs. people who want to get a cheap analog poly will go for the minilogue xd and people who like the real moog sound will get a grandmother, which has a wider sound palete though its not paraphonic. or they go all in for a matriarch.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess that’s how I see it too… though, with the user oscillators and FX the MinilogueXD is much more accomplished from a feature perspective. And for me, at least, the sound is much nicer than what I’ve heard of the PolyD thus far.

2 Likes

It all depends if you like the classic Minimoog Model D sound. It sounds exactly like it, and beyond as needed.

4 Likes

Yeah more or less I think, the sonic state video did show that the oscillators dont individually drive in the mix section anymore probably to make headroom for the extra oscillator. Seems like the designed it more around paraphonic mode given the built in chorus to thicken up the single oscillators. Still seems like a good package, if not priced a bit higher than I expected given behringers other prices. Makes me wonder if when the VCO polys do come if they will be priced much more in line with other modern gear than we expected.

2 Likes

Knowing how behringer like to share their production resources across designs( model d, neutron, k2, pro 1, wasp deluxe)I’m sensing there is a new format they are introducing with this model.

How long until we see poly variants of some of the others? Pro 5 anyone? Poly wasp? etc.

2 Likes

So, someone told me all the new behringer stuff is based off the same 3340 chip and tweaked for specific sounds. Is this true and does it matter?

2 Likes

a terrifying prospect :scream:

First piece of Behringer “clone” that has peaked my interest…i love the Moog sound but have a phatty and 37, so no need for Behringers until they come at me with 4 osc paraphony.

2 Likes

While this is a classy looking “budget” synth(comparatively) and I’m inclined to add it to my studio just for how good it looks.

My end result is: buy a used A4 mk1. Like, unless you really love that classic moog sound(in which case you’d be better off buying the cheaper Model D Standard, because the para D is probably not going to do it for you. But for analog goodness and true poly and deeper sound design options- the A4 mk1 will do you just fine(for just the utilitarian uses for the mk1 the synths are being tragically undervalued on the second hand market)

7 Likes

yer right!

PaulyD

1 Like

I see it more of a mono synth that can do chords if needed.
4 moog copy oscillators and filter plus Juno chorus and distortion should sound pretty fat,
The reviews don’t seem to be impressed by the poly aspect though