Behringer Plans 40 Eurorack Modules In The Next 2 Years, Priced at $49-99

Hmm, I’m not so sure, in my experience DIY often does not work out cheaper especially given the wealth of low cost modules from Doepfer and others, by the time you have purchased PCBs, parts, panels, tools, etc. DIY gets expensive fast and takes a lot of time. If you take say 5 hours to build a module and account for the time where you could have been earning even minimum wage then it is easy to see that small run or DIY building isn’t the financial advantage it may first appear to be. You’d probably be (financially) better off doing a bit of overtime and buying something ready built.

Edit: Of course this isn’t to say DIY is pointless, but I never DIY for sake of cost, I do it to learn and to build things how I want them, and often things that are not available pre-built, etc.

1 Like

This whole argument shows off the very best and worst elements of capitalism, from the small cottage industry using global supply chains and distribution to get its products out to the big corporation using its dominance to take control of supply chains and stifle competition (which remains to be conclusively proven in this case).
Real supporters of the free market might be a little worried about Behringer’s behaviour and its implications for competition in the market, but we’ll see soon how worried they should be. It might work out to be a good thing…

sure its not purely about saving costs. but its a part of it. i build quite a big modular which would be unnaffordable for me other wise. if you learn how to source parts by yourself cheaply its really reasonable. Still i wouldnt DIY another VCA for example if the behringer one is like 20 euros more than the parts+pcb+panel.
also i think the beringer ones dont really compare to doeper as they have much more features as the doepfers, which are very puristic.

of course it was using the structures, still eurorack was kind of the equivalent to your local privatly owned corner shop. now the supermarket opens up next to it.

No probs :wink: I think there are a few more differences as well, and of course the sound is a bit different, the vintage 100m sounds better to me, but that is not to say the 500m sounds bad, far from it.

No doubt Behringer has acquired both the 100 and the 500 series, as they do, and will pick and choose between them. I’m sure they will be keeping all the newly hired engineers busy.

ADDED: BTW looking through my older post above, perhaps Behringer is moving into digital stuff now too.

The local corner shop that sells and markets its products globally to a niche market using a lot of the same supply and distribution chains as the supermarket (some of which may be owned by said supermarket).

Respectfully disagree about the cost aspect, but pretty much agree on everything else, and I hope that DIY is always an option we have :thup:

1 Like

FYI some of these very same companies actually use Cool Audio chips, whom are owned by Behringer, so you also own Behringer gear too lol.

Yes I know, even Elektron I think use some cool audio chips in the analog range.

yeah its quite comical to watch some of these anti-Behringer rants, when those very same people use gear that without behringer parts may not exist :slight_smile:

So if you are referring to the Behringer remake of the Curtis 3340 VCO chip there was controversy around that as well of course. (Old article so you may well have read this before.)

Of course there are alternatives to Cool Audio / Behringer’ s version too, as for instance Curtis. Texas Instruments makes something similar as well as others.

Sweet!

Richard James eventually found the System 100M ‘limiting’ so I’ll pass :joy:

Wow Richard James the guy that invented the Slinky!

Slinkys’ makes an fun wierd spring reverbs btw.

Slinky%20Dog

2 Likes

He too found sound within a limited amount of source/modulation.
But at least it was only the single patch cable.

1 Like

REALLY pumped to be launching a filter and a dual LFO into this enviornment. Ugh.
It takes a small company an incredible amount of time and labor to get something even as simple as those modules I mentioned out into the world…
Then it seems like Behringer just shows up and throws the bargain basement version into the market and we’re left with our… cables in our hands hoping to at least break even.

1 Like

I have to agree with you about the cost… last kit I borked was a swt16 :rofl: . In this case this is a net loss :sob:

1 Like

Aen – Are you Dwarfcraft Devices ?

1 Like

well, me and a few other people, yeah :wink:

4 Likes