Behringer Neutron

This is how it’s advertised:

" The resonance loudness compensation circuit brings a slight tone coloration reminiscent of Japanese classics from the 80s, with a very round and liquid resonance."

I don’t have ready samples of it with the neutron but I can try.

yum, sounds good to me.

that would be lovely, if/when you’re able. thanks for the tip!

Jove is a clone of the Jupiter-6 filter design. It sounds bloody great.

I have a System-80 810 which is a combined VCO / VCF / VCA synth voice module based on a mix of classic Rolands, and the filter probably sounds more like a 101 than Jove does.

Musical shit but hopefully you’ll get a hint. Short sequence first then sweeps.

Also:

• it doubles as a sine oscillator
  • there’s a new version. Not sure how it’s different but mine is the old version.
5 Likes

Good explanation of the various Roland filters here:
http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_filters/

1 Like

Stick a 808 or 606 break beat under that and youve got a Luke Vibert style banger.

1 Like

pico seq to the rescue

1 Like

very nice :sunglasses:

A-105 is SSM2044 based and has a nice fat Tone, that is rather Not Roland sounding. More Prophet 5 or Korg Mono/Poly.
The A-122 is CEM based but is more Moogish sounding.
Ripples is indeed a good fit as suggested.

1 Like

I realized today that it would be pretty cool to get a Neutron and run its oscillators out into the external input of a Mutable Instruments Shruthi with an SMR4 filter. Would be some pretty sweet hybrid SH-101/wavetable style vibes.

1 Like

I’m looking to point Neutron owners here (link below), ideally with access to a Pro-1 or possibly one of the other Behringers to form a comparison and see if there’s an issue between one and the other - it’s possible that this is a hardware issue or even a fault unique to mine so any insights about success or otherwise will be helpful - especially if it appears to be a problem afflicting all owners of both …

answer here please :thup:

Update. The issue is with all Neutrons when connected by a Pro-1 - a potential firmware fix will hopefully be looked into

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: MIDI vs. CV

Are the alt press functions documented somewhere?

ADDED: Also, how do you get the Neutron app to work on a Mac? I ran the updater to 2.0.2, no problem, but the app never recognizes that the Neutron is connected to the computer.

iirc the i/o midi ports need to be re-selected each time you launch that app (works on mojave fwiw)

the alt functions must be collated somewhere, perhaps some google-fu might work, but you may as well go through the manual whilst getting acquainted

Those alt-functions aren’t in the manual and google only turns up the fact that they exist, not how to make them go.

I forgot to mention I’m on Big Sur (MacOS 11.4). Does that mean the app doesn’t work? Behringer’s web site didn’t explicitly say. At least the fw update ran properly, but that was just to test since I didn’t know what fw my new unit was on.

I’m not sure what you’re referencing, but all the soft settings for configuring LFO resets etc are detailed in the manual, otherwise folk would be unaware … e.g. see pg13

2 Likes

Thanks, I see it now. Rather than read through the manual, I’d been searching it for “alt functions” or whatever phrase I’d seen people call them online. I see they’re all documented under “User Configurable Options & Features,” which is logical.

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice find rob_lee.

That’s a popular thing to do with a Neutron. Do a search in YouTube for: Behringer Neutron Ambient Session. You get a dozen videos. I picked another one out, this guy reskinned his in black.

I off-handedly suggested over in the Behringer Eurorack Modular thread that Behringer ought to consider taking sections of the Neutron, and offering them as separate Eurorack modules. I’m thinking more and more that that is a really good idea now. I definitely could see myself buying modules from that series, and it would be original Behringer gear too.

1 Like