Behringer Neutron

So the black faceplate overlay in the vid amku links to is only $40 USD.

Plus the lettering glows green when you put it in BLACK LIGHT. Looks like they have got other products planned, and maybe other accessories for the Neutron.

I notice there are a bazillion ideas for alternative overlays for the Neutron over here.

If you know of other companies that are doing accessories, or mods or bending the Neutron i’d love to hear about them.

BTW: Graydon the people that did the video amku references, and that do the black light overlay, have another video doing the THX zoom sound at the beginning of movies by multi-tracking a Neutron. Heck it wouldn’t cost to much to do the same thing ‘live’ with multiple Neutrons.

[So will this quiet anyone complaining about the Neutron color? Probably not.]

2 Likes

Ill be honest, the original red neutron is ugly but an ugly faceplate does not = ugly sound.
If I end up getting a neutron ill probably get a custom faceplate but at the end of the day we get synths to play them, not to stare at them.

Im sure people will be complaining anyways, its a Behringer after all :sunglasses:

2 Likes

haha. Behringer is the New, High Quality Standard in manufacturing.
they‘ve reinvented a lot of the Analog circuitry for the synths by producing them on their own.
no need for a supply chain.

You know…Companies will ask them to produce their own stuff in Ulis mega City.
btw. there’s only one fully capable -made for iOS- Dock for professional use of Apps and utility on the IPad and such… Splitting the lightning slot into real hardware.

guess what…it’s from Uli Behringer.
Peace

Behringer should make overlays them selfs, 40 usd for overlaying 250usd synth is strange…how will the poor musicians do that ??

The Moog DFAM comes with a set of heavy cream colored paper overlays that you can just drop on and it shows you how to patch the synth for some particular sound. It includes connections across the patch panel, and knob and switch settings as part of that. That would be nice for the Neutron as well – and easy enough as a DIY.

as mentioned by @re5et here

https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Keyboards/Synthesizers-and-Samplers/NEUTRON/p/P0CM5/downloads

New bug fix firmware 2.0.2, sweeps up a couple of things i was niggled by, it’s good that they take care of these

New In The Neutron Firmware Update 2.0.2

• Fix to one shot LFO mode: The saw & square waveforms previously stopped at high; they now stop at 0v
  • Sustain pedal fix: Releasing the sustain pedal now stops all notes, including those that still have a key held
  • Note priority has been restored for paraphonic mode, and it also separates note priority settings for mono & paraphonic (they are now recalled correctly when swapping between mono & paraphonic)
  • MIDI note-on messages with a velocity of zero now stop the appropriate playing note, no longer resulting in stuck notes
2 Likes

Previous firmware upgrade was a nightmare, I won’t do it for these alone. But it’s nice to see support.

1 Like

It’s a clumsy process for sure but eminently doable if patient - i’m about to dive in and i’ll probably brick and regret it now i’ve said that !

Doable, yes… but I had to install 3rd party software to manage usb drivers and stuff… what a mess.

(I still love my Neutron though :slight_smile: )

1 Like

indeed - to get to 2.0 i actually had to take my machine around to a neighbour’s house (i’m now okay for osx compatibility thankfully) - ideally it really ought to be like Elektron where a sysex can be transmitted from any suitable midi software app you may have

1 Like

Anyone else getting mad delay bleed? Even with mix at minimum you can still hear it on longer settings. It’s pretty weird that it takes like 6 patch points to bypass the delay and overdrive. Also frustrated by the lack of osc fine tune and the use of toggle buttons instead of switches for the osc range.

Lots of fun to be had anyway despite questionable design choices. The patch bay is so generous!

1 Like

Yeah, I hear it too sometimes… I wish it was completely removed from the path, but fortunately it’s not noticeable in majority of sounds I come up with. Of course, YMMV. No regrets buying it at this price though and pretty ridiculous what you get for the money.

1 Like

Hi Neutron owners! Can someone please check Frequency mode button - does it have blue led (when you push it - like Octave range buttons) or not? At least my device does not have it - I wonder is it faulty or really only this one button is without led, it would be strange a bit…

thanks!!

No illumination here either

I agree it’s a tiny bit inconsistent although functionally inconsequential in both cases - perhaps simply odd that it’s not the same for both UI elements

The only thing I can think of is that some of the hidden key combos may lean on knowing that the pressed octaves button is acting like a shift-modifier and thus why it’s a bit more useful to have it illuminated whilst pressed

But your device is fine

2 Likes

thanks!

1 Like

that’s a great Video.

5 Likes

Hey everybody, I made a video of my Neutron connected to my brute using cv in a bunch of different ways - I hope you enjoy!

2 Likes

You might trying pluging a dead lead into the delay input

someone round the forums once brought up the idea of using the neutron with a more rolandy external filter to get that sh-101 type tone (given the neutron’s VCO chip). anyone know what eurorack filter would be best for this? doepfer a-105 seems like it might be fitting but looking for other suggestions as well.