Behringer K2

Yeah this guy is taking all sorts of different outputs and patching it into total and getting some crazy sounds just from doing that alone.

Very cool. Thanks for the help. I can see how this thing can easily lead to happy accidents if I keep an open mind.

And I’d get to pair it with an Octatrack…Oh my.

1 Like

some square LFO out in action here, and then some - this guy is a Master, gets lots out of the ESP

can’t find my favourites, I linked to these elsewhere here, he does some beautiful plaintive stuff with otherworldly timbres and astonishing complexity - it’s all finely balanced on what’s patched and where those pots are - the ESP is easily ignored, but if you put in the time (this is why you need the inclination to explore) then it can really expand what is possible with nothing else - all his uploads are direct to camera

5 Likes

real cool videos. these will certainly serve as inspiration.

what’s esp?

1 Like

External Signal Processor my dude.

1 Like

Will I be able to send the Mod Wheel of my Arturia Keylab Essential to this K2? Or is that something we won’t know until it’s out?

Well I placed my order. Never bought a synth on day one so this should be fun and exciting. Not expecting it for another month at least.

Some of the most head-scratching fun I’ve had with a synth was with a full-size MS-20; sadly it had to be returned to its original borrower (not owner!)

This does look interesting, mostly because of the lack of keys; if only Korg had made more MS-20Ms.

1 Like

Definitely not modwheel, unless they allow this to be directed to pitch. The may support pitch bend directed to pitch, but that will be as far as it goes. There is an output of CV on the Neutron for pitch bend/modwheel which can be routed anywhere. However, the K2 has no outlet so the only destination option is pitch and that is not even a certainty. It’s one plus for the korg as the wheel can go anywhere. E g. To the VCA level to easily set it to drone sans keys, thankfully there are a bunch of tricks to achieve this by patching but you need to be prepared that the midi control will be limited and the midi range will be limited to 3 octaves plus some wiggle room each side before the pitch stability falls apart. The low C on a ms20 is set at 1v the next is 2, then 4 and the highest is 8v … You will get a stable octave lower than 1v (ie down to 0.5v) so maybe 4 useful midi octaves only (although osc tuning is flexible on top of this) and maybe pitch bend to pitch.

1 Like

As the topic had veered to what the K2 could potentially do wrt patching, I thought I’d throw this Korg link in too

e.g. a sorta paraphony through patching, the other vids are in the blue link^

1 Like

ipppei is my absolute favourite, complete wizard and endless source of inspiration. I once played a half hour set on just the MS20 with one of his patches as the starting point.

Really need to get another one in my life! Though the wheel is really quite cool - having a second attenuator feels important on this limited synth - so will probably go for the Korg mini.

1 Like

Last Korg-centric Link (sorta on topic as we’re discussing a clone) - This guy has a really great approach and this is an advert for the real deal as much as the MS20 voice design - you’re out of lock if you try this on the Korg Mini - it may be easier with sturdier pots on the K-2, but the K-2 may also be a bit cramped to get this ‘hands on’ - whichever way you look at it Korg made a beast iirc as a cheap device to tap the MiniMoog market - tbh, I find the MiniMoog about the least appealing of the classics and this the most interesting -this video makes me lust for a heavy duty og although apparently the keys are not so great - I have a few mods planned for my Mini, but nothing to detract from its core brilliance - it’ll be interesting to see if the K-2 is as easily modded, it looks smaller

2 Likes

:thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Is there a video of this thing? It’s like the weirdest release of all times

Edit

Off topic reply referring to subsequently flagged O-T posts edited by moderator

Not yet. I’ve been looking every day haha.

1 Like

that was weird. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

You don’t have to pay the return shipping on thomann, and the refund process is pretty quick too, like 1 or 2 business days after they receive it. (atleast if you’re based in europe, I don’t know for other places)

1 Like

Bger just announced they hired Hiroaki Nishijima - who worked on the original MS 20

Synthesizer Icon Hiroaki Nishijima to Lead Behringer’s New Synthesizer Innovation Center in Japan

Behringer announced today that Hiroaki Nishijima, synthesizer icon and inventor of the famous Korg MS-20 Synthesizer, will lead Behringer’s new high-tech innovation center in its Tokyo headquarter.

Behringer’s vision is to build a large research and development center and invite many talented Japanese engineers to focus on flagship synthesizers, samplers and other innovative product designs.

13 Likes

haha Uli just does it.

1 Like

I’d be happy if they just did this and stopped cloning everyone’s current product lines, sure!

They hire him right after making a clone of the MS 20 eh? Funny

1 Like

Seems like behri is going ahead with their plans. I envisioned them flooding the market with inexpensive clones, used to finance the new R&D… Soon they will have all the synth engineering muscle they’ll need to go forward with starting their original designs. They just need more DSP talent for the digital side of things.