Behringer K2

Thomann does say 30 day money back guarantee so I’ll look into what exactly that means.

Also I’ve never used a semi modular (or full modular) before so I guess I’ll have to buy some patch cables.

Behringer have stated it is Hz/V as per Korg - posted above

1 Like

Unlikely, they shipped 6 with the neutron, the Korg shipped with ten, I’d be very surprised if it shipped with none

shown as S-Trig on the panel btw

1 Like

I saw that, but i want to see something from Behringer’s printed documents. The Quickstart Guide is a reasonable place to expect this very basic detail. Surprised it’s not there.

Gearnews just made a post and indicated otherwise – but that’s not surprising to me in that they get things wrong more often than i would like.

From Gearnews: Behringer then deviates a bit from the Korg version by making all the patch points Eurorack compatible

Eurorack is a size format - I wasn’t aware that it was a system which precluded the use of Hz/V and S-Trig

Nonetheless I suspect hope triumphs reality for some journalists, especially if a rumour has started

It’s quite clear that the Gate system operates (as per Korg) on the Short Trig system - as one would expect from a component per component clone

Here’s the image from the box - It’s a short-Trig system, there is no way it’ll be set to use V/Oct - just too confusing

2 Likes

Their return policy is 30 days no questions asked so that’s neat.

The only hardware synth I own is a Monomachine and an MS 2000 that’s in the shop to eventually be sold. Think it might be time to change that…

1 Like

Would you have to pay the return shipping?

just a long shot - but they may be comparing to the original MS20 as opposed to the Mini - it would be rather surprising, however you never know what stuff people are aware of already

1 Like

https://m.thomannmusic.com/helpdesk_moneyback.html

It doesn’t say. Maybe if you go through the whole return product process it will. Idk.

Thanks avantronica, this has been confusing to sort through, and hopefully this all has been cleared up now.

Behringer in spite of all the copying they have been doing has also made changes and additions when they felt like it. The poly-chaining on the K-2 is one example and a very nice addition. Adding the effects processor (even mono as it is) and the sequencer to the their Odyssey is another example.

Hope springs eternal.

2 Likes

So I’m looking at this thing and trying to make sense of it as a patching noob.

I can’t tell if this thing has one LFO or three? It seems it has one and you can decide if you want it to be variable from saw down, to triangle, to saw up OR from wide pulse, to square, to narrow pulse. I see modulation generator output patchpoints but what do you patch them into to decide the shape of the LFO? It also seems like I don’t need to patch it to the cutoff frequency because the LPF and HPF have dedicated knobs for the MG level.

It has one - you can tap two shapes from it simultaneously

the variable shape is based on the position of the LFO shape knob, next to rate

It’s fair to say the MS-20 has an extremely well configured voice layout and patching options - when you get to know it it is quite elegant and logical and enormously flexible - it does however, take time to master it - it can do a lot with no cables, it can be gently tweaked/patched and creatively patched - it’s a very deep semi-modular - sure it’s a bit of a bind that it uses a system which time has largely forgot - but it is a mighty synth (probably my favourite, but that’s because I like the filter characteristics)

3 Likes

how do i patch it to do so? it seems it defaults to triangle shapes but i don’t see an obvious way to make it square shapes

i’m okay with it taking time to master :slight_smile: I just have virtually no experience with patching so some things are confusing to me…Some are obvious like “this LFO will go to the oscillator pitch” and some are not so obvious. I’ve looked at the Modular V and Arp Odyssey V from Arturia and just end up scratching my head trying to make sense of the patch points.

Do you mean the Hz/V stuff? Cause I have no euro rack equipment at all so I honestly don’t care haha

Adding to what you said so well – how well the K-2 matches up with the different sounds and characteristics of the various MS-20s is still to be determined.

Behringer has been startlingly accurate so far, so I think it’s safe to assume it’ll be similar.

Even the Deepmind sounded a lot like a Juno…Kinda scary.

1 Like

True!

Likely it’s just my ears, or the videos i’ve listened to, but the Behringer Odyssey sounds better to me. (Without the effects added – with the effects it’s of course very different.) I’ve yet to hear a K-2.

there is Tri MG soft patching on the panel (can be overridden) and hard outputs for both - see MG area on left - outlets to MG are shown and the pre-wiring to Total is shown with an arrow - this can be broken with a new input to Total

2 Likes

Right so I take the output of the square and patch it into…what? That’s what I’m not getting

I found this video though and it seems pretty helpful!

Trig / Filter / Sample Hold (it’s a particular type of sample and hold) / anywhere - this is where it is kinda important that you have the inclination to explore

you’d also be best to keep an eye on the voltages screenprinted on the inputs too

but essentially - it’s a very fine synth as is, the patching allows you to go much further