Behringer K2

Yeah it’s a synth master plan, I love it. Can’t wait to see what comes.

Doesnt it just…

2 Likes

this was literally the video i was thinking of lol

And when Juno 60s and Juno 106s cost 3-4x as much it’s just like…Why? And the Behringer has added built in FX that let you do all sorts of other stuff.

I will say the keybed and knobs/faders on it do not feel as good as a Juno but :man_shrugging:

let’s remind ourselves that the thread was about Behringer’s take on the MS-20, thanks :thup:

2 Likes

[http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/08/31/behringer-hires-korg-synth-guru-to-lead-move-into-original-flagship-designs/]

1 Like

Found a sound demo of the K-2. Nothing too interesting happening but it’s still nice to hear something. Sounds good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dOA-d5JDwk&t

1 Like

Nice to hear both filters though - but the big news is that the MIDI socket could not be placed in a worse position - that is a major turn off - if I had this unit I’d be hacking another inlet on 3.5 TRS somewhere else

Yeah, it’s really poorly placed, right next to one of the most used knobs (lpf cutoff). If I were opening one of these up I’d also move the main output and esp input to 1/4 jacks on the back.

1 Like

the audio i/o may be doubled on the rear as it is on the Neutron, time will tell - but if you’re right handed, that midi socket is just ugh! - the two filter flavours aspect has a lure for sure

Yeah the two filter versions might compensate for the lack of modwheel. Yet to decide

1 Like

The back:

Photo from Thomann.
It’s pretty basic.

1 Like

Lack of modwheel? Why would the module have a modwheel?

The K-237

With two wheels.

This is only a thought experiment. (Perhaps a failed one!)

Presuming that the pieces can be made to play together as shown. (Meaning the hz/v and trigger issues.) A Waldorf KB37, with a Make Noise Erbe Verb, and the Behringer K-2. This all should fit, the KB37 has room for 100 HP, and the two boards are 80 and the 20.

The KB37 has lots of nice functions velocity, aftertouch, pitchbend, mod wheel, two note cv output selectable from the keyboard, arpeggiator, glide, octave selections, additional cv, and external MIDI input.

An effects board like the Erbe Verb was my first thought, and it’s got a stereo out. But i’m thinking instead perhaps an oscillator that also goes down to LFO rates might be more useful, and then maybe if there’s room for a smaller effects board.

Actually an Expert Sleepers Disting (4 HP) makes sense being that it is so versatile, and would do either the reverb or the LFO functions, plus play midi sequences and a ton more stuff. Then there is room to add a Ladik U-202 V/oct to Hz/V converter (4 HP) as well. Do you need to go Hz/V to V/oct too? The Ladik U-201 does that.

The KB37 would be good with lots of semi-modulars, the Neutron is the same length as the K-2 for instance.

4 Likes

That looks nice. The kb37 actually has 107hp of space, btw.

1 Like

Aha that’s why i had to stretch the image! It’s says 100HP lots of places – all of them wrong.
Thank you!

It’s fun to play around with ideas of what fits.

Do you mean HP and LPF or are there two versions of each HP and LPF?

Here’s what the front panel shows.

Again from Thomann

2 Likes

Indeed. I think I’d go with a smaller FX module, maybe even a spring reverb. I’ve managed to fit the small Doepfer spring tank into my kb37 but with some module combinations there was audible interference - so that may or may not work. The Ladik converter seems obligatory. Although, of course, you could also route the kb37’s Midi Out to the K-2s front panel Midi In. Kind of misses the point, but gains you 4hp :slight_smile:

1 Like

The KB37 costs £600 though. At that point you’re not far from the price of a vintage MS20.

Because it’s not exactly a modwheel, more of a freely assignable wheel-shaped attenuator, and it’s essential for some of the more fun patches on this thing.

3 Likes

Very true Anfim. Good point.
The idea i’m playing with, using the K-2 with the KB37 together, brings a whole lot of other advantages as i note. (Plus apples to apples you’d compare price of a used KB37 which is also currently on sale new too.)

It’s entirely up to preference. The vintage approach makes sense too.

1 Like