Behringer JAM Sample Groovebox

OT I know but regarding your avatar. A track thats level of excellence is only equalled by the sleeves level of disturbingness…especially when he’s looking over his shoulder :mask::joy:

Back to business…

2 Likes

I agree. I’ve never liked this design choice. I’m always reminded of these wild midi controllers that look like spaceship cockpits. Yuck.

2 Likes

These multi colour pastel/neon looking RGBs also look too toylike IMHO, I think for music gear I favour a more industrial look, like Elektron pre RGB.

7 Likes

MPC does a nice job with the RGB lights on the bottom of the pads

it’s interesting for me, a culture of the sampler remixed by B. Their equipment which modulates the subtractive “preset” :sweat_smile:synthesis doesn’t make me waves of pleasure but now, with this new accelerator it’s the wave of curiosity brhi

Machinedrum is still my favorite piece of gear, for design / operation / aesthetics. It’s industrial to the T. One led color, built like a tank, simple workflow.

4 Likes

Hell yeah, a lot of things about the MKI OT I still prefer to the MKII, I do think the MKII looks superb though, ideally I’d like a MKI.V :laughing:

1 Like

hey, that would be a sampler with TC Electronic / Klark Teknik effects !

They do with the X32. Different market though.

Looks kinda bad imo but i dont think its worst than Roland design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would be nice…I did enjoy the effects on the cheap QX1204USB more than the lexicon ones on the Soundcraft MTK 12… :wink:

Uh, when is a “tribute” copyright infringement? I was under the impression that Behringer could get away with recreating old synths because they had fallen out of production, but looking at this and comparing it to my MPC One, this seems to be just a straight knockoff, down to the button labels, Q-link encoders, etc. Clearly I don’t understand the law on this, because this makes no sense to me.

Look, I’m not a Behringer hater–I have the 303, the Boog, a Deepmind 12, and the Neutron. But none of those machines is in active production elsewhere like the MPC. Anyway, given the choice between buying an MPC a company with an established ecosystem and a (so far) good track record of firmware updates (for the current lineup, at least) and a knockoff that’s completely untested, I don’t think I would have changed my recent purchase.

4 Likes

now they’re rolling!

if this has been treated by the Wing team it’s gonna be an explosive piece of gear towards Roland and Akai.

but I like the name for a series of units in this range.

Behringer JamDrum MK1 or Octajam MK1 in a classic XoX layout would be a great addition :nerd_face: with the Deepmind Display for the Details

1 Like

Keep in mind this is almost certainly a mockup, and the first public iteration released in a group that appears to be dedicated to taking in user feedback on their designs.

Starting from a familiar design, even one that could be called a ripoff, isn’t a terrible process. It means users will already have their wishlist in mind since they dreamt it up while using those other devices.

3 Likes

You’re right–I just found this updated mockup:

:laughing:

20 Likes

Exactly this piczure was propably made by Marketing guys and not engineers

My evidence: look at the 12 bit button. 12 bit is a nice Feature not all samplers have

But no sane engineer would implement this as on off Button instead of a knob or fader.
The only purpose og this Button is to tell Marketing guys if 12 bit is a feature people want.
And the same is most likely true for every control of this thing

1 Like

I don’t like Behringer

I love the fact that they’re interested in getting direct consumer feedback. Even during the early production process.

Also love the fact that they’re making gear accessible. I don’t think that’s appreciated enough. A lot of folks can’t afford to spend thousands on gear.

I think most of their hate stems from their aesthetics. There’s plenty of companies that make clones and don’t get as much hate. I’m not a fan of how they rip off the names of stuff and wish they put more effort into original designs as far as branding.

But still a big fan and excited about the potential for this new sampler :slight_smile:

I think it is appreciated plenty. What’s not cool at all is ripping off a brand-new product. I’m a writer, and if someone decided to take one of my books and just change the title and a few words, I would not be amused.

It’s neither here nor there whether they charge less for it–in fact, it’s kinda more “here,” because they’re basically parasitic on other companies’ R&D for many of their products, which is why they can charge less. Like I said, I’m ok with recreating old synths that are out of production. I own a couple, as well as their “originals.” But this crosses a line for me.

The 1010 Blackbox is a great example of how even a small company can successfully enter the market with an original take on an established form. This is not that, at least from the image that began this thread.

1 Like

This is relevant to my interests. Looking forward to seeing the specs and price.