Behringer AKS Mini

It’s been said elsewhere …

… about Bartek.

There was a time in my life when some people thought the same about me.

just being catty

im just being catty, theres no reason for me to think or care about this but he gives off the same energy as those “regular person influencer” ads for MLMs and drop shipped products that have run rampant online. just a weird vibe to actively choose for marketing, its our-customers-are-dumb-people coded.

5 Likes

I think it is a conscious marketing decision.
Some companies will try to project a “cool” image to make customers aspire to be as cool if they just buy the product.
Behringer leans the other way. Awkward geeky presenters reassure insecure customers that it is okay to be a little geeky and that you can belong to their crowd (literally musictribe). The contempt from music “pros” that behringer openly courts reinforces this Elite vs Geek dynamic.

1 Like

It does have UNI and POLY functions, on the octave +/- buttons under the Oscillator / Detune knob. It’s based on the same platform as the other Mini models. I definitely want to hear a more comprehensive demo without all the effects. Does it BASS? How does Detune sound in UNI mode?

1 Like

This is heading off-topic.

Best places to continue on the forum :

What’s going on with Youtube?

Fascinating inside scoop on being a full-time Synth YouTuber

4 Likes

The Borrowinger VCS3 was the one synth i hoped they would get halfway right and don’t mess it up again - but that miniaks does sound more like a Roland midi accordion.
There is literally zero EMS vibe, neither from the OSCs, nor the filter. What did they only think to release this…

The very best thing that could happen would be if ARTURIA come up with a MATRIXBRUTE EMS edition. Everything for it is there, 3 oscs, matrix, great analog FX, connectivity, passion, professionalism.

3 Likes

The strangest thing about this demo video, is no one associates the VCS3 with “i got da chops” keyboard playing over a generic sounding 01_slick_lead patch.

The VCS3 was about weird sonic experimentation, pretty sure Eno (Roxy era) and Hawkwind used it without any keyboard at all, just tweaking oscillators directly for all sorts of weird sound shit. And was all the better for it.

I don’t hate on Behringer, and own some of their gear, but they have to be the most tone deaf company when it comes to brand and PR

1 Like

All that negativity based off one superficial demo? They typically do a more comprehensive demo too. There might still be a VCS3 clone from Behringer too. It has been talked about and I don’t think this Mini is intended to replace that.

2 Likes

I saw that, but I thought the lack of MONO was odd. But on reflection I suppose uni effectively is mono, because it’ll just mean all three oscillators playing at the same pitch, rather than a true unison mode with multiple, three-osc voices playing at once. A bit like how they’re apparently happy to call their paraphonic mode POLY. This whole Behringer Mini line feels like it was designed to trigger my pedantry!

In a world of forced enthusiasm from YouTube influencers selling you spec sheets, there’s something refreshing about a goofy guy in a messy room who seems to genuinely be excited about playing instruments. And he doesn’t have to insult our intelligence by pretending he hasn’t been bribed by the manufacturer, because he’s literally on their payroll.

He also has the same shitty Ikea office chair as me, so I feel a deep kinship with him.

1 Like

Exactly this. The video felt like somebody taking the piss on Behringer.
I think I’ll keep my original EMS Synthi A from 1972 after all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TBH personally I can’t stand this amount of cringy enthousiasm, it’s even worse than that Doctor Mix dude…

7 Likes

Why are so many here talking about Bartek
and not about the “synth” ?
If the synth would sound halfway right,
then it even would be interesting to hear
what somebody with total different approach gets out of an EMS sound box. The problem here def is not him.

3 Likes

The Bartek demo was fun but it didn’t do a lot to show off the synth’s capabilities. I have some serious questions such as “does it BASS?” Exactly what does Detune sound like in UNI mode? I hope these and more will be answered in a more comprehensive demo.

1 Like

I only have 1 question: why do osc and filter don’t sound like this:

1 Like