Behringer 909 clone $299 in production

Looks damn sexy. Wish they did something like the TR-8 thought where it combines all sounds.

You can see yourself on the gearslutz rd-8 discussion that as soon as 2 people mentioned problems with midi in their rd-8, behringer employees joined the discussion asked for a firmware details.

Responed back promptly saying that midas manchester is working on a firmware update to resolve the bug.

For me that is a good customer service.
Good luck finding a roland employee or owner !!! on the forums talking with user what sort of machine do they want :slight_smile:

Behringer/midas uk will solve the early midi hiccups in matter of days.

Roland will never sort out the problem that their machines are expensive, not analog and sounding not as goodā€¦ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Frankly Iā€™m so utterly disappointed with Roland over recent years, that Iā€™m just going to completely boycott them altogether. I had one Roland product which was a massive disappointment and gave me nothing but issues, and wonā€™t be getting any more.

And making Behringer change it to 8 from 808 is just fucking petty. People have been making 808 clones for decades. Roland had their chance.

Screw them.

~rant over~

5 Likes

Not sure how Behringer is going to get around using the sampled crash, ride and hi-hat sounds on the 909. Thereā€™s no way Roland is gonna let that slide uncontested. May explain the delays.

As much as I agree wrt Rolandā€™s latest, I do think that SE-02 is a decent product, enjoy using mine (aside from the 7bit parameter controls), They still come up with the goods at times. Not going to boycott if a suitable product fancies me

Yes, and they didnā€™t even design it, Studio Electronics did.

1 Like

I am totally looking forward to the behringer 909. 2nd in line purchase for me.

To me mfb and others also clone the 909, but cost waaaaay more. I just donā€™t understand why behringer gets bashed for this. Itā€™s a market run by businessmen. If they sell and make profit, looks like they are doing it right.

If this sounds 909 and the haptic is good it will be awesome.

2 Likes

Behringer will never sort out the problem that if Roland (moog, EDP, Korg, Sequential Circuits et al) didnt exist, then Behringer wouldnā€™t have any products to copy.

Expensive? You get what you pay for.
Not analogue? Who cares? That topic is as old as the OG transistors.
Dont sound as good? Totally subjective.

3 Likes

Itā€™s more complicated.

1 Like

How is that a problem? All of the companies you listed exist.

1 Like

economies of scale counter your argument

I actually dont 100% care about the analog vs digital thing if it sounds good. but if the analog copy is good and even cheaper I am definately going that route.

I used to have the mindset of never buying behringer stuff. they have changed my mind on this with the stuff they are producing. I have an ada8200 as an adat extension for starters which I am quite happy with. all the monoā€™s have not interested me, and I think there are too many from them in terms of relation to polyā€™s or digitals.

If they get their QM on point, which I bet they are working towards, they will be unbeatable imo.

to me the term ā€œyou get what you pay forā€ is off. that would mean expensive machines are completely bug free and of highest quality all around. this is not this way.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve got to say as someone whoā€™s owned the Roland originals, & has since owned a TR-8, TR-8S & TR-09, youā€™re talking utter BS - no offence.

the TR-09 was utterly indistinguishable from my old 909 - as far as I can remember - the only issue with it was the size ( although in some circumstances that was an advantage actually ) & the lack of separate analogue ouputs.

But if youā€™d rather go with some shameless brand-stealing cheap-ass knock-off, just 'cos itā€™s ANALOGUE then go for it ! :slight_smile:
each to his or her own.

1 Like

I think Iā€™d rather go with full size analog clone with analog outputs, than mini-sized VA clone with no analog outputs. Especially since the price is same.

Why should I care if it says Roland or Behringer in the cover?

3 Likes

VA or not is almost non-relevant. The size and the outs though, yeah, sure. I canā€™t tweak a TR-09 with ease. Iā€™m still not sure about the need for RD-8 and RD-9 thoughā€¦ the TR-8S does the trick and so much moreā€¦

1 Like

Well sure, TR-8S is surely a good drum machine, but costs two times more than RD-8 and is still VA.

YMMV, but there are still reasons to go for analog instead of VA in my opinion, especially when it comes to something like TR-808 where slight changes in the sound make it sound more lively.

Of course, even samples are good enough for many people so there are no wrong choices really, just use what works for you.

2 Likes

Love my RD 8 and I canā€™t wait to get an RD 9 to add to the stable. That said Iā€™ve been using my synths for creating drum sounds recentlyā€¦wonā€™t stop me from lusting after an RD 9 tho.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your problem matey?

On a crusade against behringer?
I love that brand and their products ! long live Uli

I prefer analogue as I can hear the difference to lifeless digital ā€¦
You get what you pay for - yeah, you pay for logo, some people are big into known logos and are prepared to pay big timeā€¦ not me

Guyā€™s itā€™s tools, use what is best for you and carry on making beats not arguments :v:

6 Likes

Not trying to have a go at you, just wondering how this statement would hold up in a double blind test.

3 Likes

If somebody sends me an RD-8, iĀ“ll do the test! Through an older analog mixer, so everything has done one pass through something analog. hehe.