Behringer 909 clone $299 in production

yeah, it’s about music, sound, so if it sounds good I’ll take it.
I own several analogue drum machines and synths and know what I’m talking about.
TR-09 sounded flat to my ears. each to their own.
I will happily be suporting Uli, you go ahead and pay roland and play with tr-09
what . is the problem here anyway ?

It’s my preference and I’m going by my own experience with digital and analogue drum machines that I’ve used before. Each to their own.

Kinda funny to have this old analog/digital debate over a machine that is actually a hybrid of these technologies :yum:

5 Likes

The fact that something is analog or digital doesn’t help me make creative and or fun music. That’s just me though.

I totally understand how the sound character of something keeps a producer inspired though.

4 Likes

I don’t have one, this is a discussion forum is it not? You shared your views, I shared mine. Both are different, Both are valid.

1 Like

I concur. And for the price, all the TR drum machines, all those assignable outputs, samples, front panel controls, audio over USB, etc, its a total no brainer.

4 Likes

I think the point that @Hans_Olo is making here is about bias. Your reply doesn’t address that, just state what you prefer. Which is grand, and I’ve certainly got my own biases but a lot of the statements on both sides of the debate have been really quite definitive about things which are really open to being subconsciously influenced by our biases.

Double blind tests are about removing those biases…

3 Likes

When’s this due for release?

I dunno, my SH01A sounds pretty damn good for digital, or technically ACB technology. The analog vs digital debate is tiring.

5 Likes

Feb 2020, hopefully.

I dont have a horse in the brand versus brand sweepstakes. Own quite a bit from both companies. Quite like the small Roland boutiques, but the drum machines really needed separate outputs (that weren’t USB), and they felt just a bit too cramped. Behringer ticked that box so suited my needs with the RD8. Its not perfect though and I flagged an issue or two with Support, which I have been told won’t get fixed, and that my unit should be returned. Trouble is others have the same problem so it’s obviously firmware issue. The TR8s is nice, but overlapped the elektrons too much to be relevant for me. I still might go there at some point.

I will watch and wait on the BD909… if they fix the (relatively small) issues I have with the RD8, then maybe. I already have a vgline 9q9 and mars sample packs so it’s not as essential. Also depends on how well they nail the sound, which is most important of all. Wasnt sold on the 101 remake, and I have a K2, which is great, but again, not a perfect remake.

2 Likes

I don’t want ‘assignable’ outputs. I just want all the outputs please. I don’t want lots of knobs, I want a knob per function.

The TR8(s) faders :point_left:t3: are sick tho :slight_smile:

I got rid of all my other drum machines & replaced with a TR-8S.

proper size, analogue outs…& get this ( :slight_smile: ) the slight changes in the sound make it sound more lively are all there - because that’s how good the the Roland ACB modeling is.
Even down to the way the sequencer feels.

Totally agree - there are no wrong choices, but my only bugbear is that people seem to infer that Behwronger thing must be ‘better’ as it’s analog - got to say from what I’ve heard so far it’s TR-808 emulation is nowhere near as good as the TR-8S.

We are very spoiled at the mo’ - & its good that you can buy a really cheap drum machine I guess, but I still don’t think Uli B should be ripping off other company’s legacies. YMMV - if that’s not a concern for you then fine. Enjoy ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The way you spell Behringer tells the reason why you prefer TR-8S: You obviously are a Behringer hater and thus anything they release is automatically bad.

Sorry to say, but RD-8 sounds pretty damn good. Way better than TR-8S, not to mention the classic interface which is way better looking and more fun to use than TR-8S in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m not a hater of anything in terms of electronic music instruments :rofl:

that’s all they are - not like hating on a corrupt politician etc…
‘Behwronger’ is just a bit of fun :slight_smile:

Look - it’s cool. I’m just saying that I’ve been buying drum machines since 1987, & the TR-8S is the best pound for pound machine I’ve ever had. It even beats my lovely Machinedrum.
And the emulation of the classic Roland machines is near as damnit perfect for all practical uses, plus you get so much more…

3 Likes

yeah, I don’t get this… it just invalidates the message as a whole while it’s actually very reasonable otherwise.

I think the people who say the Boutiques don’t sound good have never owned the original machines, because almost universally people that have used or owned the original machines seem to concur that they do in fact sound very close.

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

4 Likes

Yes! Not only do they sound like the originals, they ‘feel’ like it. At least in the case of the TR-09 I own anyway, the sequencer sounds/feels like the timing of the old TR 909. Most modern drum machines (elektron included) have very tight, (almost too tight) sequencers, for my taste.

1 Like

Hopefully the Behringer stuff will lower used prices of Roland, but probably not.

1 Like

I can admit they sound close to the originals. The dynamic interactions however, do not feel the same IMHO. Having now owned both ACB & analog clones of Roland X0X drum machines, I can certainly say programming a pattern with the analog clones feels better, massaging the gains and accents reacts with more nuance and sensitivity. Also I always found the 808 ACB to sound harsh in the high freqs (worst on snare and hihats), unlike the analog clones.

I think the recent behringers have hoarders selling more og Rolands than before, seen a bunch of 101’s and 303’s on offer recently. This is all good and hopefully lowers the 2nd hand prices in the long run, so that people passionate about owning the originals will be able to afford them easier.