Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Ive only got to the dabbling stage with Drambo but can see its got loads of potential.I think the fact that it does everything and from the ground up………puts me off in the end going forward.Just laziness really.

my issue is whenever i use it, my songwriting goes out the window and just delves into sound design and endless module fuckery

And it beats most hardware too, I wish the current Mpcs had such a deep sampler

2 Likes

I just wish the sampler played until the end of the sample when you deactivate the hold while looping. (instead of stopping abruptly).

1 Like

Yes this is not cool.When when you move the start/end points ect it stops…

Can I ask what is the sequencer like, comparing to say Garageband, Koala Sampler etc

Like a classic piano role. With groovebox like patterns and scenes. Similar to maschine.
You can play anything in live with the pad grid… and you can turn the pad layout to different scales. With 16 or even 64 pads, like on ableton push.
You can turn on auto repeat, rolls , chord mode when playing the pads…

1 Like

For sure, I think someone who’s really into modular would get the most out of it. It’s a great groovebox but the people getting the most out of it are probably the science experiment crowd. Would love to see a little more love on its sampling side but it’s hard to get a word in edgewise. It does everything so everyone has their own requests. If you ever suggest anything you just end up with 10 people saying ‘would be nice but no there’s more important things I want X’ then nobody gets anything. You’ve just gotta make what you want with what’s there. I think the place that iOS slacks is graphics. Most apps are hideous but I don’t use them for what they look like so it’s no big

I had another lil go with Drambo last night and its a very cool quirky app.Just simple stuff but can def see myself working with this and BM3………and then sampling it into some hardware to beef it up,take it to the next level.

1 Like

Wondering I’d Maschine plus would be a good controller/pads to intergrate these iPad programmes or if it would become a exesive unholy mess ultimately.Maybe too much of the same kinda thing……] Its a very nice piece of hard ware…

There’s a big update coming for Drambo too. Maschine plus and iPad would be great you’d just have to approach it in a way where everything has its place, ie maschine as sequencer ipad as 1 synth at a time. It could easily be much more complicated and modular than that but I like to keep it easy. Used to use a mk3 and iPad so the plus can only be better. I find the overkill problem mostly arises when you start using 3+ units at a time or try to work with 2 brains. Something has to be the centre

I bought the app. The UI is a bit disturbing at first, just like my MPC… tons of screens and menus. It seems very complete though.

It seems to me pretty simple compared to MPC tbh……

Edit-BM3 or Drambo? The latter is very busy yeah…

Yeah I’m reluctant for Maschine to take main stage tbh.Altho its great.Got some Korg mini pads and sliders around ect and an older MPD26 i will hook up later and work with the sequencers on Drambo and BM3 piped through AUM.If i can get this lil lot together enough i think I’m set IPAD wise.I’m using Iconnectivity 4 as interface so….

BM3 is also great with hardware. It does threshold recording, but also has one of the most solid and reliable MIDI sync implementations on iOS. I like to record my OP-Z patterns to pads for arrangement purposes. Or I used to—now I prefer Ableton for that.

1 Like

What is the best midi controller for BM3? Launchpad mini? Launchpad X? MPD?

Imho it’s a launchpad, either the x or the pro mk3, there’s not really anything else out ther that can touch either of them for iOS in the pad controller market… Also there’s a great iOS editor for the custom modes called midisynth that lets you have full control over everything… it’s a tenner to unlock but it’s more than worth it…

Everyone has their pipedream for iOS. For most people, its Logic Pro on iPad. Mine is Intua releasing an auv3 of just the BM3 sampler.

2 Likes

The BM3 sampler is amazing, I wish the MPC was as deep.

1 Like

How about the mini mk3?