Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Yeah I probably break, but I’m a cheap bastard. I see how I get on.

1 Like

I’m not a bm3 user, but I hope it doesn’t fall by the wayside. Updates are few and far between due to it back to being a 1 man dev shop, and not even the original dev. Me, like a lot of people, just want the sampler as a stand alone AU, but that’s prolly never gonna happen.

1 Like

quick question with slicing, is there tap to slice like the mpc live, and koala sampler if that makes sense. Or is just touch for slice points, the regular 16 slices, etc?

It has everything, it’s got like a regular slice tool, auto slice by time divisions, slice by number of slices, my personal favourite implementation of slice by transient with a sensitivity knob which changes instantaneously

1 Like

Thanks, treat me like an idiot but I was as talking about pad slicing, when you touch the pad to slice next.

ah that’s called lazy chop, I just checked and I’m surprised to find that bm3 doesn’t do that actually

Yeah its something I wanted, but may pass on this unless the daw is that amazing?. I mean its one of the reasons I don’t like the live as I dislike touch slicing etc, its wierd I know.

You know what, it seems proper easy to me now but when I started using it I found it horribly unintuitive and convoluted though powerful. If you’re willing to put in a little time getting used to where everything is and how it works it’s definitely worth it especially on sale right now, but it does very much feel like finding your feet in a new DAW but if you’re looking for something simple quick and fun there are better options out there. It’s a full daw not just an instrument like koala is but that being said obviously you can use it as complicated or simple as you want. Usually I open it and just use one sampler or build drum kits etc

1 Like

Its got a very refined sound and the FX are fine too.

refined sound?

I’m trying to figure what I could use BM3 for, an IOS daw but I just want to have fun and play around and don’t intend to make complete tracks on it.

There’s plenty of fun to be had with beatmaker, its deep but you don’t have dive deep to get stuff going and jam away, atm it’s my go to couch amusement, half an hour here and there keeps me creative without all the faff of having to go to the cave and switch all my gear on… it’s well worth the current discount price, I paid top price for it and I’ve not regretted it…

Currently going down the ipad apps rabbit hole, having tons of fun with Drambo already… how’s that beatmaker thing ? Anyone using it with/inside drambo ?

It’s actually a super cool host for Drambo as an AU. It’s basically an MPC with daw stuff. Here it is running Drambo, you can play the keys and just sample straight into bm3 pads from the side there

2 Likes

Probably trite to say that, but it’s amazing what these apps offer now…

To me sounds feels detailed and sophisticated.Not really what i was expecting on a ‘beatmaker’ as such.Obviously a lot of work has gone into this and it shows.Just thought i would point this out as its very important to me and might not be obvious.Nothing crude about the way this programme operates.imo.

If i want something more clonky i go for the MPC “ ]

I used to be the biggest hater of bm3 for crashing but honestly it hasn’t crashed on me in ages at this point. Only hardware is hardware still but the ipad has become a phenomenally deep piece of gear and it’s only ever improving.

@monk_1 yeah the name truly undermines the app. Beatmaker sounds extra cheesy. The sampler is unparalleled on ios imo

1 Like

This has been on the wish list forever. I’m surprised it hasn’t been implemented yet as well.

Now that it supports relative encoders, it might be worth another look again for me.
(although I really should be focusing more on Drambo)