Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

And than there’s this…

http://intua.net/

Beatmaker 3 + Ipad + portable soundcard + midi controller of your own choice… hmmm.

2 Likes

and 1 or 2 cables :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • powerbank (depending on the soundcard’s power spec. concerning the portability) :slight_smile:

MPC Live = all in 1 box

But for my purposes the BM3 + Ipad configuration seems more flexible.

I like to use it as a sketchpad;

1. Recording loops (Korg Volca FM/Arturia Brutes etc.)
  2. Editing samples, creating loops etc.

Sorry I don’t see how is this better - more affordable, than MPC live ?

Good to finally see BM3 dropping. For me I can’t really put it in same ‘convenience’ bracket as the mpc but I’ll prob buy it, looks deep.

But if I was to buy it as an alternative to mpc, by the time I’ve forked for new ipad (I’ve currently on ipad mini 2, BM2 buckles on it pretty quickly) and sat with pads midi controller, USB hub for simultaneous op1 connection, audio interface, external hard drive etc… No way all that stuff is sitting on my lap and not getting trashed by my kids :wink: I might as well just use my laptop and ableton…

Plus I really like the idea of the mpc for shows and daw integration, opening mpc session in a daw to expand/finish stuff up/switch internal fx for decent plugins or send tracks out to hardware etc… Looks super streamlined for the that kind of ‘here and there’ workflow…

BM3 looks great tho. Glad they finally finished it!

I already own an Ipad, so then it’s the price of a soundcard
including enough ins/outs + midi capabilities + portability + midi (pad) controller.

I know the MPC live has really a lot to offer, but it’s all about what are your needs, how do you like to use it.

If I recorded some loops, sounds etc. and I just want to edit these, I just can take the Ipad with me, no hassle with a bulky box, that’s what I am after, a more flexible system.

As an instrument, for making beats, playing live etc I have my OT + AR, these are the base of my rig.

Yeah can totally see how BM3 ticks a lot of boxes and saves a ton of money if the convenience thing isn’t an issue. Wish I was in that position TBH :wink:

2 Likes

Looks really good, does it work with iRig pads? If so a definite purchase. I already use iMPC pro for on the go fingerdrumming practice.

What about size: iPad mini convenient enough or would you rather go for an iPad Air or even the Pro?
Do you use BM for drums only or for other stuff as well? Did you try out Elastic Drums or DM1/DM2?

Ipad mini is better size for my needs. I only use it as a sound source tho, no sequencing etc. Haven’t used Beatmaker for ages. Occasionally used to use it as an ideas scratch pad in past but use Op1 for that kind of thing now :wink:

Should work with the Irig pads.

Focus actions

BeatMaker 3 can be controlled in an unique way by one or multiple MIDI controllers, using MIDI notes and CC’s.

Available actions

Trigger pad 1-16 (or 64 with optional 64 pads device mode);
Pad modes switching: select, scene, mute, solo, keys
Macro control 1-16
Bank select, prev / next switching
Octave up, octave down, page up, page down for pads pages, scenes, etc.
Transport play / pause / stop / record / backward / forward / loop / metronome;
Repeat mode
Focus actions templates can be saved, loaded and shared easily.

What’s a BM3

Beat maker 3 iPad app

1 Like

Damn! Looking at it now! Looks pretty legit!

1 Like

I just can’t get into the iPad thing.

2 Likes

It’s so convenient. I can toy around with an idea where ever. And you’re always ten dollars away from a figurative OS update(purchase a new app) though, the restrictions of one app at a time is a bit frustrating(I’m still trying to tap into modstep, bit even then…)

Yeah, this bm3 vs live thing is very on point for me.

I’m leaning live because with the iPad you need an interface, so then you have wires and bits and bobs. Drum pads. Knobs. Etc. I have all of this and taking it down to go to gigs is a chore.

IPad can crackle. Very unlikely live will crackle with its purpose built hardware and limitations.

BM2 ui is very not good.

In the end, you can still add the amazing sequencer apps in iOS to your mpc.

1 Like

Yeah agreed. I have Beatmaker 2 and ive never really been compelled to use it except for the odd half hour.

BM3 looks like a huge update but I’m just not in to using ipad in that way from past experience.

Requires too many peripherals, linking apps for sampling internally is ballache/flakey, bringing to/fro with Daw is long-winded etc, can’t sample from YouTube internally etc etc.

If I grab a Live and it feels like an ipad in terms of workflow/integration/clutter etc I’ll be sending it back :wink:

5 Likes

Each to their own but I tried the iPad thing and it was a nightmare. Exactly what Callofthevoid said. Workflow is a complete PITA. Plus file management!!! Seriously apple after a decade I thought you might have sorted that out. Apple are great most of the time, but sometimes they fail misserably… case in point.

Live is completely different, it’s like any other audio work station or hardware unit, with software running on dedicated hardware.

The touch screen is a red herring if you’re trying to compare it to an iPad. They simply don’t compare.

3 Likes

I’m sure I will get both the Live and BeatMaker 3, I can’t bring the Live to work for a quick lunch break jam and apart a few quirks I really liked BeatMaker2.
I still think it’s not really fair to compare them though…