Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

what’s so epic about it?

3 Likes

I own BM3 but I was very disappointed after speaking with them that Program change messages are still not implemented and will be a long time if ever.
I can’t understand how they can claim to offer external control for a DAW type app and not include that.

I mean youre essentially getting a better working version of what the akai software should be at, constant updates, and its on the go / ultra portable. the file management on ios sucks, but aside from that and some minor needed updates you can produce pro quality material out the box. There’s a few professional producers in hiphop and r&b at the moment using it extensively as well, definitely not as incomplete feeling as older ios DAWS I’ve found.

I suppose in that regard I could see why it’s not cool for you. I use the screen to bang out my tunes etc since I usually make music at work and on my lunch break. I know theres a new update coming very soon according to the dev Mathieu on the BM forums

Any one know if Beatmaker 3 is worth copping, on sale but not sure if I should just invest in Koala but I have it on Android already.

Plus how does sampling work on the Ipad?, say if I want to sample some youtube for example.

Beatmaker is like having a mpc or maschine on the ipad, Its sampler is superb.
It was buggy in the beginning but it I haven’t had any problems for quite some time.

Much more powerful than koala. Koala‘s appeal is simplicity

3 Likes

I freakin love BM3. In my mind it is the best iOS solution for a DAW/groovebox. Besides being easy to use I really appreciate that the file system makes total sense. Want all of your desktop samples? Drag folders into the BM3 directory. Single tap to preview, double tap to load/replace. I have fabfilter plugins at a tenth of the desktop price, eventide, moog, ikmultimedia and the list goes on.

All joking aside, I have considered going exclusively BM3 but am too attached to my hardware and too invested in ableton. There are flaws of course (automation is a bit wonky, no multi core, no track freezing, no delay comp) but at the end of the day it’s worth so much more than the price of admission. I have made loops all over the apartment and fed them to the Digitakt to very satisfying results…

1 Like

Those two apps (beatmaker and koala) are a bit like the MPC Live and SP404 propositions…one is feature rich and does it all (Beatmaker), the other is fairly simple and straight forward yet super musical from the get go (Koala).

Can‘t go wrong with either!

2 Likes

Thanks but how do you sample stuff from youtube for example, I guess screen recording?.

There might be a way internally but I usually just plug my phone into my iPad (via hub with 1/8th inch or my $30 behringer interface)

1 Like

Screen recording for koala, tube AU for beatmaker 3. It’s another app. Get both, can load koala in BM3 and sample loops easily for linear arrangement. Bm3s sampler is great, koala is much simpler but more fun

3 Likes

Screen recording works

There’s also Tube AU.

What @jb said…

1 Like

Nice but yeah not paying 10 for Tube AU. :grinning: I’m a cheap basttard.

I dunno why people sample yt to begin with, let alone spend money to sample it.

2 Likes

Where else can I find recordings of Philip K Dick giving a 1970s symposium about living in a simulation?

1 Like

You can start here Philip K. Dick | Discography | Discogs

Granted, some of it is difficult to find, but people generally sampling a beat I don’t get.

Haha thanks!

It’s literally all the same shit man sample everything. am happy to pay £10 for the convenience of sampling it into all apps easily. it’s not a lot considering the dude has to consistently update the app as YouTube changes to block this from happening

Its just a bit of fun, sampling vinyl is a hassle and which I can do but sometimes I want to veg out and just make a simple beat