Battery options for Model:Samples

…and that Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I don’t smoke weed.

6 Likes

I ended up going for the MyVolts usb cable for M:S, I was a bit disappointed to find that the jack is a couple of mm too long, it still works but it would have been nice to have a snug fit, its kind of wobbly with the extra length.

1 Like

Yes, it’s tricky to find the right USB to DC cable to use with power in on the rear side. The jack of mine was to short, so it would loose connection, when moving the unit.

I think it’s very recommended to look for a cable to use with the side port. The bigger barrel size makes a much more reliable connection.

I needed to cut the plastic a bit… Works without damaging with a sharp knife.

I posted this over on the Model:Cycles battery thread, but figured folks here would be interested as well:

Okay, after making some additional revisions for better friction-fit on the brackets, here’s the final STL files for anyone out there with a 3D printer!

The Thingiverse post has a complete BOM, so hopefully this winds up helping others who want a good portable battery solution.

I got rid of my crummy PVC tube and replaced it with a 3D printed one, which turned out to be a much nicer option. I uploaded the tube I printed as an STL as well, so the only off-the-shelf materials required will be a compatible phone charger and a USB to 5.5x2.1 power cable.

So far I’m really loving it - the dual purpose “stand” functionality is more useful than I thought it would be. I’ll almost certainly still buy the Elektron version when it comes out since it’ll be a much more polished product, but in the interim this works great!

Many thanks to @Uija for sharing his STLs from his earlier post about his custom handle – this version was largely made possible by his fantastic original designs.

7 Likes

damn this is almost better than the Elektron one due to the rechargeable power supply you can fit in it.

Yeah it’s turned out to be really nice! Of course, you can always use rechargeable AA batteries in the official Elektron handle whenever it gets released, but I’m still kinda surprised they didn’t just go for a rechargeable battery integrated directly into the handle with a charging port or something :man_shrugging:

One thing that kinda blows about this is that you have to disassemble the handle to get the battery out for recharging, but I’m trying to cook up an alternative model for the right-hand side bracket where I could put in a micro-usb charging port that routes to the battery, that way I could just seal the whole thing up.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised.
That would be a far more complex product to warranty, and support.
Rechargeable AA’s are ubiquitous and that route takes a lot of possible work off their desks.

2 Likes

That’s a really good point, I hadn’t really thought of it that way.

New MS owner .

What are people finding are the best USB charger cables to suit?

Is the my volts one a bit wonky?

I use the myvolts ripcord for my digitakt and it works flawless, so they are recommendable

2 Likes

I used double-sided tape and velcro to stick a battery and guitar amp feet on the bottom of my m:s and put together a little cord for it. (The cord is an inch too long, dammit.) The feet give about 1mm of clearance under the battery.
It’s ugly, but only when you pick it up. It will be easy to remove when something better comes along.

If I was a 3d-printing person I’d be designing some sort of nicer battery holder with integrated feet to slide the battery into, so it doesn’t look/feel like a science project.

12 Likes

Genius. Genius. Genius.

1 Like

Here is my solution. Pretty cheap 6700 mah usb battery. Probably lasts close to 6 hours.

9 Likes

I just bought this to power my M:S from my Anker powerbank and it doesn’t work. M:S doesn’t turn on at all. Anyone have any idea why? It’s 3.5mm/1.35mm center positive. It fits the rear power port on the M:S just fine.

This is my powerbank.

Is the tip of your cable long enough ?
It could be your powerbank that needs to detect the M:S too, it happened to me sometimes. Is it a new one ?

It took me longer than I care to admit to realize the reason my powerbank wasn’t working with the m:s is that I forgot to press the button on the powerbank first.

And yes compare the length of the new tip with the ac adapter one, elektron uses the longer one.

3 Likes

I have the LINDY Cable here and needed to cut down the plastic at the tip quite a bit. This one in the image looks real short.

i picked up one of these with myvolts adapter plugs for the cycles and digitakt. so far, it works to power both the DT and a typhon plus keystep just fine and has no problem with the cycles alone. i’ve charged it maybe twice. capacity is very good.

1 Like

Yeah same size. That’s it and the MS plug next to it. It must be the power bank, though it’s only a few months old and works with iPad/phone. I’ll order a different power bank and see how that works. Or maybe I’ll order the cable that goes into the battery port on the MS instead.

Edit: it finally worked. I had to really push the cable in. I’m gonna try a different brand for a cable or go with the cable that goes into the battery input.