Battery options for Model:Samples

I’ve been really enjoying getting to know the M:S and would love to play untethered :slight_smile:

I know the battery handle thing is in the pipeline, but I saw a brief clip of Cuckoo using a battery pack to power his M:S and that’s got me impatient.

Does anyone know if there are any extra requirements I’d need other than ‘get battery pack that does 5v and find a plug that fits’?

That said, if I get a battery pack I’ll probably not get the handle, but I’m a sucker for official merch, so it’s be nice to go the official route if it’s not going to be too long a wait. Those who have more experience with Elektron stuff, does ‘coming soon’ mean ‘soon’ or ‘maybe in a year or so’?

1 Like

Soon or otherwise, it won’t be cheap that’s for sure.
Although it will be designed as a handle and angle stand too so keep that in mind.

I know Elektron have a premium, but I’m really hoping for less that $30, since it isn’t an actual battery. I am prepared to be disappointed…:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

You should worry more about what using a battery pack might do to the warranty on your brand new machine.

1 Like

It says right on the back like 4v - 10v input for the battery pack.

I don’t see how it’d void the warranty if you use the right voltage and polarity.

3 Likes

That’s why I said “might.” Having not sat down and read the warranty I don’t know for sure. I’d be shocked if there wasn’t something about using 3rd party/non-Elektron adaptors and/or power sources/batteries.

But I’m also a very cautious person.

1 Like

$30 would be nice but I bet it would be 4 x that.

2 Likes

Yeah, since their 5-pin MIDI adapters are $30… :fearful:

1 Like

Asking in earnest! This is my first Elektron product. I’ve been aware and ogling their products for a few months and the M:S made me jump in.

I know a bit about Overbridge but don’t know enough about the company and other product releases to know what to expect in this matter.

The portability is a key factor for me, and a marketing point for the product, so I’d hope they’d offer the battery thing soon to stop people from buying one of a gazillion other battery packs that are available, but the fact that we’ve not even seen a photo of a prototype makes me worried…

1 Like

Wise advice :pray:

That’s because they’re different voltages :stuck_out_tongue:

I still stand by my advice; if you’re careful with voltage, polarity and tip size, there shouldn’t be any problems.

2 Likes

Model:Samples has probably the easiest way to use with an external battery pack.

5VDC is a standard USB power. If you measure the diameter barrel of the PS that came with M:S get a USB to barrel cable and a good pack like RavPower.
I got one @16000mah/59.2Wh that runs for days with low consumption gear.

Make sure that the polarity on the cable matches M:S

3 Likes

I had one of these usb to barrel leads and my battery pack powering Novation Circuit. I had to use the usb socket on the battery labelled ‘iPad’ as it supplies 2amps whereas the other two supply 1amp. Everything was fine and it lasted for ages - and Circuit is FULL of bright led pads and buttons!
I don’t see any issue using the same with Model:Samples
as long as the polarity is correct

EC Technology Portable Charger 22400mAh Power Bank Ultra High Capacity External Battery with Auto IC for iPhone iPad Samsung, Black & Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5Q4F0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UhMBCb3E4X9F9

This adapter lead is positive tip which according to the manual is correct.
ChenYang USB 2.0 A Type Male to 5.5 x 2.5mm DC 5V Power Plug Barrel Connector Charge Cable 80cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S6AC28E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TmMBCbV9SZ6CK

2 Likes

You are right using a third party does void any warrenty. I spoke with a rep about it a few days ago.

I use this battery pack for mine. You can find the adapters pretty easy as well. Isn’t this the same kind in Cuckoos video?

I like the easy side for creation, transportable using an external battery! is it possible to know when the release date is it open for the battery of the model: sample ??? Of: leaks: some: ideas :slight_smile:

I’ve no idea when the official battery handle is coming out, but I’ve found using a USB battery pack (with USB to 3.5 × 1.35 mm barrel jack lead) so convenient that I’m using it pretty much all the time instead of the wall plug.

11 Likes

Where can I buy that barrel jack lead? I have the battery pack. Thank you!

I found it in my big box of junk, so I’ve no idea where I got it from. However you can get them on Amazon/eBay/etc.

For the main power point at the back, the barrel is 3.5 × 1.35mm, centre positive. For the (upcoming) battery handle one under the white tab on the left, it’s 5.5 x 2.1mm, centre positive.

3 Likes