Battery options for Model:Samples

How long did these batteries end up lasting man?

I see this one here : https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-x-aa-switched-battery-enclosure-with-2-1mm-dc-plug/p/PH9283

is 2.1mm correct?

That’s the one!

I actually haven’t tested it for more than an hour :stuck_out_tongue: . I’ve since switched to a USB power bank which actually has a readout of the battery percentage. I think it should give you at least 3–4 hours though.

I made a somewhat custom battery solution for my Model Samples based on a few off-the-shelf parts. I was planning to actually build a battery from spare 18650s I have, but this one ended up being cheaper and better that what I could build. Here’s the parts I used:
Ripcord: myvolts.com/page.php?xPage=MV_Ripcord
Battery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MBF4ZLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
Also dual lock tape, zip ties, and an 18650 heat shrink wrapper for cable management.

Also loving my overlay from Oversynth:
Overlay: https://www.oversynth.com/elektron-model-samples-overlays

I’ve run a runtime test, and got over 8.5 hours from that battery from full to 25%! So total runtime is probably over 10 hours. More details here (sorry for the double photo, I don’t know how to prevent this link from showing a preview):

I’m also planning some tests with a USB power meter, I’ll publish those results later.

I also found that the M:S uses the same USB power cable as my electric toothbrush! So that’s another option :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Beware the main DC cable is 3.5x1.35x10…the DC/USB cable I bought is 3.5x1.35x12, so it works but does not go all the way in, so if you touch it has some play and the M:x can loose power if you are not still…

4 Likes

Model:Mixer ? what are we talking about ? (just curious)

Wishful thinking. Not reality.

1 Like

Nice!
I saw someone else doing something similar, and they said the battery was draining a bit quickly, even when it wasn’t turned on.
How long can you go on one charge with this?

I’ve never timed it. But I’ve gone hours. I use the same USB battery for a lot of other things too, so I’ve never been in a position where it ran down exclusively from M:C use. I haven’t noticed a drain when the M:C is off, because I’ve never left it plugged into the battery in that state.

TBH, since that post I’ve changed my setup a bit and the M:S is plugged in to the regular power supply most of the time. I still use the USB battery pack a bit for it though, and for the Model:Cycles too. The battery has 2 USB ports, so I can run them both at the same time if necessary. Only problem is I don’t have a small, battery operated mixer for them yet. Looking into the Bastl Dude for that, but they’re out of stock at present.

1 Like

I get many 2-3 hour sessions out of a $14 10,000 mAh USB power bank.

1 Like

The Model:Samples manual says 1000 mA DC input.
But the included Elektron DC adapter says output 1200 mA.
And USB power is usually 1000 mA…
So I guess USB power is “OK”?
But why would they have the DC adapter be 1200 mA?

Has anyone had any power problems or other with the USB>DC solution?

You always want a little extra capacity on your power supply. Three machine will only take what it needs why any given time. The biggest power draw is usually at startup, when the unit will pull maximum current to get everything going.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a small usb battery with the adapter cable and it works great. Have had many hour-ish long sessions with it — don’t need anything more when you have kids… :man_facepalming:t2:

Have been tempted to try it with a charging speaker like the JBL Charge, but I haven’t been able to find the ma output on the usb power yet. If it worked it would be a great portable setup!

Edit — check the manual, duh. 5v, 2a. Hrmmmmm

Always as in “then you should NOT use 1000 mA, it’s not enough”?
With electricity I like things being right/wrong and safe, not maybe or best :wink:

You could probably use 1000 mA. In this case, the worst thing that could happen is that the unit won’t turn on. Sometimes, you just have to try it out. By the way, USB 2 can provide about 2.3 A, I believe.

1 Like

In your case you’re good. Amps is what it’s CAPABLE of delivering, not what it puts out.

I also have a portable speaker (but with 1000 mA USB charging output) and it would be a nice setup.
If only I could be more sure about 1000 mA being enough.
But I guess I just gotta try, as folks here report success

Is there a definitive set of figures for the M:S to use these battery packs and leads?

I’d like to get a battery pack but I’m lost with the figures. This is what I’m seeing here in this thread…

DC 3.5mm x 1.35mm 10mm

1000mA DC input minimum

So apart from those figures I’m a bit lost. Are these figures just for the USB adapter? And is a 20000mA capacity battery suitable? I see on Amazon there are a lot that are between 20-30000. Does this just mean a longer charge for the battery?

Any input appreciated! :slight_smile:

EDIT: I found this on the myvolts website: https://myvolts.co.uk/product/44856/Power_Supply_and_Chargers/USB_to_5V_DC_power_cable_compatible_with_the_Elektron_Model:Samples_Sampler
EDIT2: only just noticed this has already been posted

1 Like

I measured 300-400mA for my Samples (headphones!). So thats something nearly all battery packs an provide.

Bigger battery means longer recharge time as fast loaders are still somewhat seldom today.

with 10000mAh you get hours of playtime.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know! The 10000 capacity packs are very common and cheap too :slight_smile:

My Samples stopped powering on yesterday afternoon. I think the PSU connector might have got caught up and twisted a bit, it’s under warranty anyway, so no big deal.

I’ve ordered this. Will it be ok? Can I charge from Laptop USB ports or what kind of mains plug usb adapter can I use?

EDIT: It’s fine, I was trying to turn it on with the orange button, w…t…f…?

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes