Bastl Softpop 2

Anybody been using one of these for some techno shenanigans?

I have! It’s an absolute blast, and I love the sequencer. Very versatile and really enjoying the heck out of it!

3 Likes
5 Likes

I know I did the update correctly. But I can barely get this thing to do anything but makes pops. Before it was easy to get a pattern going.

I regret doing this update without seeing a tutorial for how to work it first. I’m a bit lost!

Such a big fan of this instrument and I want to use it again!

I’ve updated and it’s the same as before except with new oscillator types. What exactly is your issue?

I had to update several times before it finally worked. During the faulty updates the lights were blinking showing the progress but sometimes halted in different combinations. The last update went without such interruptions and looked exactly as on the video.

Also, it seems to be important whether you connect the cable before or after turning on the device.

I’m not sure what I did to fix the update. I tried with different volumes and reconnected the cable to my iPhone multiple times. Not sure but I assume it was a different setting on the iPhone (Headphones vs. Other Device).

Really cool seeming update… although I guess you lose the VCO? So an alternative firmware in some ways. Sounds like some of the features just can’t be implemented on the VCO sadly.

I got it to update ok, but can’t get anything remotely useable, just these pop and click sounds way louder than anything else. Before this update I could get sounds no problems.

1 Like

I tried resets and changing settings and I dunno…I feel stupid when this kind of thing happens with a piece of gear, cause it’s usually just something I’m overlooking.

That’s not right. Did you check the jumper was switched properly?

3 Likes

My hero! I opened it up again and I had only placed it on one of the prongs! This solved it! THANK YOU!!!

4 Likes

So i think this is either remain with the 1.2 analog firmware or flip the jumper and upgrade to digital giving:

• Digital VCO
  • Fine-tune fader mode
  • ENV G and SLIDE G trigger/gate modes
  • Envelope gate probability as FX8
  • Triggered pitch change mode
  • VCO Pitch Limiter
  • CV pitch tracking mode
  • MIDI clock detection
  • FX controlled by MIDI notes
  • Envelope triggered by Note On mode
  • MIDI CC implementation
  • MIDI transpose
  • Improvements and bug fixes
  • New button combos

1 Like

also nice

1 Like

This looks a really cool update - I was hoping there would be some demos online of what the new DCO waves sound like but nothing yet… irrespective, this could may very well feature in my future once I offload some other gear.

Now I want it with the @ddiamond84 mod! :heart_eyes:

Hey there crew! I made a video about the Softpop 2 for those who would like to check it out :wink:

5 Likes

I love this instrument so much. It’s so fun and unique…for anyone else that has one, have you noticed any of the big 6 buttons needing to be pressed kind of hard? The play button in combination with the trig for recording trig mods sometimes takes a couple of tries to record or clear.

I recently acquired a Softpop 2! It’s my first foray into semi-modular and I’m having a lot of fun with it. I do have a couple questions so far:

1. the pop cv input doesn’t seem to do anything, other than disable the pop slider.
  2. I haven’t been able to get midi scale definition to work as described. I tried both midi modes, but in either case I was getting notes outside of the chords I was playing on the Microfreak (maybe the Microfreak sends weird midi, I don’t know. I’ll try with the keystep or minilogue) and when I was sending a sequence of chords to the softpop 2 (with its sequencer playing as well), the pattern coming from the softpop stayed the same although the chords changed. Any idea what I might have been doing wrong? Also, it wasn’t responding to the Microfreak’s tempo over midi, though it did seem to work with the clock out to the sync in.
  3. I’m not sure that the described modulation to the envelope when the oscillator is in a low frequency is happening, the behavior seems relatively static until I hook up some other type of modulation. Maybe that went out with the switch to digital oscillator? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to bring out that behavior for some organic birdsongesque sounds?

Loving the sound of this synth, and exploring the patchbay and sequencer! I just posted a video of my first recorded jam with it on youtube, if anyone is interested! (I dunno how to embed, so I’m just going to paste the link below and see what happens. I’ve been reading this forum for a while but new to posting)

2 Likes

Just got mine today. It’s my first semi-modular so it will take some time for me to start using it in a meaningful way. But I am loving the packaging already as well as the beautiful manual!

6 Likes

OK can someone help this newbie? I have the audio output from SP2 going to my audio interface (just like my Minilogue XD so nothing new here).
Then I have the MIDI IN from SP2 going to MIDI out of the interface. I can play it in Ableton but how can I play the MIDI notes through the synth ? Thanks! Needless to say this is my 2nd week in Ableton and first time with a semi-modular.