Bastl Softpop 2

Not sure I’ll get one, but I enjoyed Loopop’s review and it looks like a very fun, cool little synth!

2 Likes

Hmu I will I got one already I’ll get you one just DM me I’ll even pay for shipping to you my friend works at UPS

2 Likes

With that great entourage of controls and fiddly bits, wish it were 2 OSC.
Otherwise, nice looking box - at the price though a metal enclosure would have been nice.

Such a different UI and it also being semi-modular, but Typhon seems a competitor in the tiny box, massive potential space.

…looking forward to whether they have a Thyme 2 planned with a more hifi but lofi approach.

2 Likes

The ergonomics are terrible! Why they’ve made it so small?! I understand the aspect of portability but it’s just too damn small for anything sane especially for patching cables! Don’t get it!

p.s. Elektron knows how to design an instrument! Remember Md and Mnm?

Bastl’s MO has always been diy, minimal setups. It’s very much on brand.

6 Likes

Thinking I might get this for my partner to add some wierdness for their mother32 for sound design.

3 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing for myself!

Also, i really like the demo video!

And here I was thinking getting it to use it to make the strega a little more normal :stuck_out_tongue:
actually though I think it could be a great little unexpected bassline groove machine… but I think I will have to hold strong on it as much as I would like to try it out.

1 Like

This is a very fun design.

Lots of quirks, but I think they add a lot of character.
Like sequencing the various scales you can input.
Makes it sound like a DFAM that was designed for Nils Frahm

64 memory locations for the sequencer is nice to see.

I’m in no market for this, could probably get the sort of results that would appeal to me out of my Pro 2, but still Bastl has impressed me with this unique semi modular design. The pocket operator style step FX are a nice touch.

Bit Shifty yet still more immediate than Typhon if you wanna get weird with it.

3 Likes

@AdamJay that’s my impression as well. I preordered this and bought a dfam at the same time, both of which will be sequenced by and run into the ext in of my A4Mk1. The dfam is already in hand and sounds truely incredible when run through A4’s P-locked chorus and delay. Once I have the softpop also hooked in to the other extin it will be true insanity!

4 Likes

Getting interested in this and the wild sounds it makes and portability. Two questions:

1. anyone using it to make drum sounds?

2. how is it for real-time audio mangling?

Hi - any one got a Softpop SP2? I got mine last week and have got problems with the firmware update. Just wondering if anybody has succesfully updated - its a bit of a weird update procedure a bit like loading a Sinclair ZX80 program (as in you play a wav file into one of the patch points). Anyway mine seems to be bricked now even though the FAQs say its impossible to do…

I had trouble with this and had to try it multiple times. In the end I managed to get the update working by cranking my laptop’s output volume to the max.

I also had an issue with getting the machine into a state where it would not output any sound at all. Fixed it eventually by patching all over the place and adjusting all the knobs randomly. :smiley:

Hi - yeah I’ve tried all sorts. Sending file from my phone, MacBook, different power options, balanced cables, unbalanced cables, boosting through the onboard Input and Amp etc - must have tried 50 or 60 times. Trouble is now it’s completely non functional - no display of firmware on start up and no response or LEDs from any buttons and indicators except the Globe LED. I’ve been in touch with Bastl directly and they say to keep trying but I’ve had enough - it’s officially a paperweight at the moment.

Hey Bloke. Email me at pete[at]casperelectronics[dot]com and let’s figure this out.

4 Likes

Hi - thanks for that. I have a replacement on the way from Bastl. I did a short video of what was happening and they agree there must be an issue with my unit. I’m looking forward to getting the replacement as i was having a lot of fun before the update attempt :smiley:

Good to hear :smiley: Feel free to send me a note if you have any other questions.

1 Like

Interested in this too. The envelope follower and filter look interesting - and how incoming audio could be ducked with the osc. Seems a great box of tricks in a tiny package.

fits in a koma box too (with a bit of adjustment) which is handy

1 Like

Softpop2 looks cool. If you had 36hp of space left, what would you buy to compliment it?

With M8 tracker:

8 Likes