Bass Synth (patches/small/cheap/stable) for live (specifically)

my bad, i thought about behringer clone

Bass synth, Patch memory, small, stable=

Moog minotaur
Roland SH01a.

Cheap= the above, second hand.

If you can live with out patch memories, the Vermona Mono Lancet is Boss.

Volcas are fun, but no patch memories, very low output level, and a few other niggles mean I couldn’t take them seriously enough for live shows.

3 Likes

this one looks and sounds really great. Just found out about it last week while watching perfourmer demos, missed it somehow

1 Like

I have both the MFB Synth Lite II and Dominion Club, and they are great… the DC has more oscillators including one FM voice plus two subs as well. All this and a sequencer or arpeggiator and more patch storage at only slightly bigger size and it’s well worth it (and is still in production). Sounds massive too.

1 Like

Another vote for Minitaur. Relatively cheap, small, simple, nice controls. Great sound. Roland SE-02 is also great for similar reasons, minus the controls which are maybe not ideal for live dimly lit situations.

2 Likes

For playing Live, the Minitaur (Sirin) is hard to beat. Perfect angle and the knobs are comfortable and perfectly sized and spaced.

I must admit, though, that I would have a hard time choosing between the Sirin or the Typhon.

3 Likes

Erica Bassline DB01

2 Likes

Lovely unit but it’s missing the patch memory requested by the OP.

Surprized not to see more of this one, the more modern screen interface is really great for keeping saved patches actually tweakable live.

*edited I thought it had a P12 style interface for some reason, still a screen is a pretty much needed if you are dealing with catch type settings.

1 Like

These all look super promising for a future acquisition… :thinking:

&

Both seem great, but I really don’t want another tiny screen… :confused:

Where is my Monologue Mini! I’ve eyed this for a long time, but the size factor is hard to swallow for me.

1 Like

Nice! I dooo like MFB.

Does either have output gain?

The Synth Lite II seems to have levels for the two OSCs. I’m assuming this is full “0-100” gain?

That is another issue with the Nanozwerg. It’s my only piece of gear without gain, so I have to have a little micro mixer around to attenuate it if I’m not bringing a full mixer (which I try to avoid).

1 Like

I’m a bit of an MFB enthusiast, and the Synth Lite II was the one that got me into their way of making such things around the time it came out ( though it took me years - years! - to discover the rather handy latch mode for droning with it).

The only gain control is on the two oscs but they are 0-100 - I find the lack of level control a little awkward, as with the Nanozwerg and especially live, so always have them running into a little mixer of some sort too. Similarly, the Dominion Club has no main level control for the output, though the output of the headphones can be set with the multi-purpose Sel and Value knobs, which is not as immediate as a dedicated knob would be. The headphone out (which is 3.5mm compared to the main 6.35mm output jack) is slightly noisier, but not unbearably so.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkC9OLFhdDo

3 Likes

MINITAUR :exclamation:

1 Like

since any topic like this should list all synths ever manufactured…
no one mentioned Waldorf Rocket yet.
yes, there’s no patch storage — BUT:
this machine is (almost) one BIG sweetspot.
it’s really not easy to make it sound bad.
however, it’s discontinued.

I say 80s Casiotone for the win. I heard that if it runs on batteries, the bass is extra massive.

casio-history-1

2 Likes

A few of those come with your own PA system so you can busk for extra $ toward the next synth purchase.

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned this one. I had looked at it on and off over the years.

Any opinions about it other than what you said before?

@JunkRunner - I had one for a few months. It’s poo.

1 Like

Roland SE-02 + K-25M.
Arturia MicroFreak.

1 Like