Bass Synth (patches/small/cheap/stable) for live (specifically)

I have been using my MFB Nanozwerg for live stuff recently. It’s sings with the AR dual OSC bass. Although I love it in the studio, it’s a bit hard to use live. Tuning is very necessary, no patch save, etc.

I’ve been considering getting a small, cheap box just for live stuff. Something that will sound good, but also be easy to run live.

Kind of considering: Korg Volca Bass, Korg Nubass, TD-03 (heresy, I know…), …

I’d be really interested in anyone’s experience with these.

2 Likes

Neither Volca has patches, fyi.

1 Like

Try and stretch to a Dreadbox Typhon?
Awesome bass box and does plenty more too.

4 Likes

Check out:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ultimate-bassline-weapon/

3 Likes

Have a look at the Korg Monologue.
It’s not the smallest, but it’s dirt cheap second hand and very powerful for the money.

7 Likes

If you like MFB, you might consider DOMINION CLUB - MFB

1 Like

+1

Real good realtime features too with the knobby interface, and the ability to restart the sequencer while receiving midi clock, to offset the sequence. Plus top notch onboard FX means less gear to bring. Portable and lots of fun.

3 Likes

Moog Minitaur?

5 Likes

Moog Minitaur.

4 Likes

Moog Minitaur!

2 Likes

Moog Minitaur

3 Likes

Moog Minitaur

5 Likes

Typhon, Minitaur or Circuit Mono Station

3 Likes

Mutable Instruments Shruthi

Minitaur by Moog Music. The Sirin is too expensive.

2 Likes

Usual DSI Tetra recommendation from me. Pricey at 400-450GBP used but its basically a light prophet 08, so many amazing sounds, plus multitimbral so you can run it as up to 4 individual synths. Well worth the cash if you ask me

Depending what you’re looking for in a bass synth the Circuit Mono Station could be a good option for you as an analog synth which has 2 Oscillators, Sub Osc, noise generator, audio in and Ring modulation; LFO, Mod matrix, and Mod sequencer which can be fashioned into a second LFO of sorts. It’s got patch storage and pattern sequencing for both Oscillators (paraphonic if you want). MIDI and CV out. Nice analog filter stage with overdrive, LP/BP/HP, and distortion. You can also process audio in through the filter stage. It has stable tuning and is compact, but also has (nearly) one knob per function, and you can record automation in the sequencer for every single control.

A great device for creating and performing live. The resonant filter, glide, per step sound and parameter locking can get nicely into Acid territory and do all sorts of other crazy experimental stuff. Sound lock per step makes it a great analog drum synth too if you want.

I picked mine up new for £249 during a sale.

1 Like

It’s called Moog, not Moog!

7 Likes

Someone has to say it…
Digitone

9 Likes

As you say DN; today I tested running DN as a Sub oscillator into minitaur input… holly molly…