Bass Synth (patches/small/cheap/stable) for live (specifically)

Typhon has gotta be the best synth for the $ out there right now.

It sounds amazing and the fx are superb.

The raw oscillators sound sound like the definition of analog to me.

Modulation and a complex and fun.

Can also run stuff thru the fx.

Also, I love my db 01.

5 Likes

:drooling_face:

1 Like

Mine arrives today :upside_down_face:

The db 01 is SOoooo good!!!

It’s like a legit musical instrument. You can play in the sequences by holding different notes with the arp while the sequencer is running.

There’s a bunch of awesome little moves you can do with it. The modulation and sequencing work flow is much different than Elektron but it’s great in its own way.

And that filter :drooling_face:

There is a slight learning curve but nothing major.

The Latvians definitely have a different workflow than our favorite Swedes.

I’m obsessed with this box. Sync it to a 4 on the floor kick and you’ll get lost for hours !!!

Plus it’s built like a tank.
Chunkiest, most satisfying knobs ever!!!

Ok I’ll stop now.

4 Likes

I recently acquired a deadbox typhon and it was instantly selected to be part of the “I will never sell this” squad.

So much deeper than it looks but sounds proper lovely for general bass and acid box duties. PRetty tasty digital distortions and freqeuncy damp controls on reverb proper treats the top end real nice without muddying the low.

I can’t get my head round the build quality for the price either. Faders are a little cheap but everything else is rugged AF.

2 Likes

It’s definitely the best filter on any of my gear.
I’ve been really enjoying my DB01 these past two weeks. I haven’t even been doing anything that special with it, just get a sequence going and play it, sounds fucking awesome.

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to chop the keys off my Monologue for a long time. I just can’t figure out how to make a semi-suitable casing for it. I don’t have the wood working abilities.

I’ve been strongly considering switching things up to get the DB-01 / Typhon pairing. Seems it would be the ideal combo of tweakable immediacy and more complex patch possibilities.

2 Likes

It is a great pairing.
Typhon has audio in :blush: and those awesome effects.

1 Like

Do you run the 01, through the Typhon?

I keep leaning towards grabbing a DB-01 myself. I love Erica synths filters. Have anyone been able to get their hands on the Eowave Swarm though? That thing looks fantastic! It’s been on my radar. And it’s in high demand as it’s always sold out. What are your thoughts on this boutique synth?

Any of the Behringer desktops (Model D, Crave, Pro-1, K2)

Minitaur (I want to say DFAM but hard to control that live if you want to be precise every time)

Not a fan of Typhon bass (blasphemy I know, but I preferred its upper frequencies than the bass, eventually sold it)

1 Like

Same. More than any other piece of gear I own, I fire the DB-01 up with no aspirations and end up lost in a sequence (in a good way) for an hour. Even something super simple. Just tweaking it with that filter and resetting the beginning and end points of the sequence. And it sounds so dang good. I think the guys at Erica really like distorted techno, so their demos never show its versatility. This is a bummer because so many people seem to pass on it because they think distorted acid is all it does.

1 Like

It’s a challenge to find a demo that shows some variety of the db01 sound.
Love the concept, but I only find hints how that thing can sound clean and warm, everyone uses too much drive, resonance and detune. Sounds very similar in most demos.
Seems the hard techno guys feel most attracted by it

1 Like

I’ve got a kind of Krautrocky shoegazy sort of album coming out in a few days that showcases a lot of the warmer, less squealy side of the DB01 as a simple bass monosynth. I still use a fair bit of drive though, because it sounds great.

7 Likes

looking forward to it :+1:

1 Like

I grabbed a Swarm in January but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. I have played a lot more with my DB-01 and that thing is so much fun. The DB-01 is also built like a tank and feels lovely to work with. The Swarm felt more ‘boutiquey’ when I took it out of the box, but of course that doesn’t mean it’s not a serious bit of kit.

2 Likes

I thought I would update you all here.

My solution was actually just buying a Korg Pitch-black mini tuner to use with my MFB Nanozwerg. Works like a charm.