Bass Synth (patches/small/cheap/stable) for live (specifically)

The Uno Synth by IKM is very cheap now (I’ve seen £109 new). It has patch saving, sequencer, fx etc. I had one briefly but didn’t like the touch keys but maybe that’s not an issue for you?

1 Like

I didn’t know Nick Batt was an Elektronaut.

1 Like

You’d know if he was, there would be PWM appreciation threads on a daily.

Seeing as it’s gone this far, I’ll recommend what I own, the Erica Bassline DB01. Bit pricey but it’s a fucking beast for bass duties.

Scratch that, no patch memory, but then, there’s only about 8 knobs to remember…

Get a Monologue.

Or a Typhon.

3 Likes

Do you get good variety out of the Erica @Fin25? I’ve only ever heard demos of it doing endless acid stuff.

Yes, it’s very varied, but the filter is soooooo aggro it generally pushes you towards higher resonance acidy kinda sounds.

I love using it for perc sounds, but it does surprisingly nice, almost creamy sounds too.

My two cents… If you want keys, get a 2nd hand Sub Phatty. If you don’t want keys, get a 2nd hand minitaur.

I’ve used my Phatty for hundreds of live gigs… In the studio I generally use other monos, but I keep the Moog for live because: the ability to quickly change presets between tunes is essential, it sounds fat as ****, and you can get any bass sound you need out of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I suspected it might have a tendency to push towards that stuff. Good to hear you’re enjoying it and finding other sounds though!

1 Like

unison fm bass! so good.

5 Likes

my favorite is DSI Mopho/Tetra.
it got everything: compact size, patch storage, and the bass (2 sub oscillators!)

You’re right! Wow. I had the Volca FM and just figured they did too. Oops

1 Like

Thanks for the rec. I did before posting here.

I have a Digitone! Unfortunately it’s duties are FULL!

LOL certainly I would consider it for a replacement but not a live “usable downgrade.” Looks and sounds like a beast!

I do miss playing with the Slim Phatty. Lots of Minitaur suggestions here! Interesting…

Not a bad way to go, but I got rid of my DSI Evolver just to simplify stuff. I’m leaning towards a knob-per-function box. Oh, do they sing though.

i understand you. however, knob-per-function and compact size are rather mutually exclusive — and both can matter for live appliance.

Toraiz as-1

4 Likes

Or even the MFB Synth Lite II :thinking:

1 Like

Seriously though, don’t discount the monologue.
It has a really nice filter that can self-oscillate and keytrack, so you can get huge sub bass out of it. It’s also pretty close to knob per function and the sequencer is excellent.

You’ve also got sync and ring mod, and microtuning, all for less than £150 second hand. Designed by the same team as the volcas, I reckon it’ll be a classic in years to come. The only synth I regret selling.

2 Likes

SH-01A makes a good fist of knob/slider per function in a small unit. Lots of fun.

1 Like

… and no patch saving — not much fun in live situation.

You can save patches, loads of them, in the SH01a.

The SH-101 couldn’t, the SH-01A most definitely can.