Axoloti

My cunning plan to put an axo inside my OT is gathering momentum.

Happy Xmas Technobear - your work on orac and other platforms is phenomenal and i’ve Just taken delivery of a Fates for my holiday project!
Not least because it will be yet another Orac installation on a couple of devices i’ve enjoyed building.

2 Likes

I owe you one, then. In fact, I owe you quite a few. If you end up in Brussels one day, beers are on me :beer:

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! I knew the ZRNA guy was talking about a potential FPAA daughterboard but I thought the Axoloti 2 prototype was something Johannes was working on. My bad. I’ve been pretty out of the loop with Axoloti for the last couple years. I happened on the thread about a v2 while I was at work about 3 weeks ago and didn’t have time to go through all 400+ posts so I read the last 20 or so and thought the 2.0 software was coming out in tandem with the new hardware, rather than the hardware being an independent project.

Looks like the Axoloti itself is back in stock now, too!

1 Like

Awesome thanks for this update! I have not had time to check any forums until recently and was not aware of this.

Thank you :clap:

Interesting! That’s good to know as my next axo is going to be dedicated to an MI module. Tried to panic buy one when I read the initial post yesterday but don’t really have funds until after the festive period, so glad to hear there’s no urgency!

1 Like

Cool, yeah I know it’s a bit confusing.

We’ve really no idea what Johannes has up his sleeves for hardware ,his not said anything.
I’d personally not be surprised if he also has a H7 based axoloti planned.

1 Like

Total offtopic: I’ve come to think of The Bear as this benevolent watcher of all things GAS, keeping all of us from totally going off the rails by spreading his open-source magic.

And whenever he surfaces in some new forum I frequent, I like to do a little ”all hail technobear” in my mind

…which is my odd way of saying you’re a force of nature, thanks for the amazing things you do :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Anyone who was surprised to find Axoloti still not supported on Catalina managed to take the alternative route of getting it running on Linux?

I’ve followed the instructions (I’m on Pop_OS) but getting missing compiler errors (and no instructions on how to install the missing compiler) and also it’s failing to recognise the board (no USB device type of error)

I don’t mind hacking around with free or open source stuff but I’ve just paid good money for a new Axoloti board and finding out it’s not supported on my 1st choice platform, only to then discover that the support on second choice seems sketchy at best, my first impressions aren’t great.

:unamused:

Oh, magically it now sees the board. This is the error I’m getting about the compiler. Problem is I can’t only find it as a tarball. Installing with APT would be nice but how do you find the name of the package to install?

"/bin/sh: 1: arm-none-eabi-g++: not found
error: compiler arm-none-eabi-g++ not found in path=/opt/Axoloti/app/platform_linux/bin:/home/neilbaldwin/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin, not installed?
Please download and install GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 7-2018-q2-update
via your package manager or from https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads
/opt/Axoloti/app/env/test-env.mk:25: *** Compiler not found. Stop."

After a few more hours of digging around I managed to find the package install for the arm-none-eabi compiler error.

If anyone else is struggling with a modern linux/ubuntu distro (Elementary or Pop_OS) then it seems this step:

sudo apt-get install -y lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

is probably not necessary as those are already installed. I did find some info on installing the correct architecture for these by adding ‘:i386’ to the end of each package name,

To install the compiler and dependencies see this solution:

https://community.arm.com/developer/ip-products/processors/f/cortex-m-forum/8993/installing-arm-gcc-toolchain-on-ubuntu

though I found it only necessary to install the first package (‘sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi’)

Hope that helps someone else out.

3 Likes

I mounted mine to a breadboard using pin header soldered into gpio holes, added 8 pot breakouts, 3 tactile switch breakouts, 2 slide switch breakouts and 8 LED array breakout:

I will use it for prototyping a few things, then if anything warrants building into something more permanent I’ll get proper boards made, and additional axolotis.
I do like @mokomo crazy idea of building one into OT (or the zrna akso) so might look into this myself too, maybe in the Deluge as well.
Initial few ideas for standalone stuff:

1. a nice drone synth.
  2. an acid groovebox with drums and battery power.
  3. a simple sampler for capturing lots of samples in quick succession - by threshold, midi note, etc, trim and save to SD card for use in other samplers, possibly a oled screen and qwerty keyboard (not sure if that is possible?) The reason for wanting this is that I don’t see any sampler which can do this type of stuff quick and without fuss.
  4. Some fx things, mainly weird shit.
    It remains to be seen if my capabilities match my ideas though, so failing all this I’ll make a dust collector :laughing:
5 Likes

Weird removal of posts

1 Like

Ya, who flagged those, and why? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cheers!

Clearly an axoloti inside a deluge is just a step too far; the mods are pulling us back from the edge of the abyss…

7 Likes

:rofl:

Someone showed me this a while ago, but as an instrument. I see it’s DC coupled. How hard would it be to add more DC coupled outputs? What’s the voltage range?

Also, how complex would it be to add a little Oled for sampled waveform views?

The voltage range on the GPIO pins is 0-3.3v. The board can supply more output power to peripheral devices (not sure what the limit is but at least 5v anyway). I don’t think it’s very easy to add extra audio outputs, not without a good deal of work.
I added an oled screen for waveforms an it was no bother. There’s a good guide in this thread: http://community.axoloti.com/t/spi-i2c-oled-display/638

2 Likes

Cheers.

Obviously my electronics knowledge is limited to say the least. But I saw how easy it is to add an OLED and a rotary disk selector to those little Gotek USB Floppies and it piqued my interest.

1 Like

Yeah the good thing with axo is that lots of really nice peeps on the forum code a lot of new objects, including ones for adding text/waveforms to oleds, so it’s just following instructions an basic soldering. It really is a lot of fun, highly recommend axo!

3 Likes

Had a mess around this morning with some gpio and midi connections, pretty easy, one thing I did notice was that there is some pretty bad aliasing which was kind of surprising to me, easily noticed on kick drums, I didn’t make a note of what ones, it could be something I was doing wrong, but was curious if anyone else had noticed this? I just had a simple setup, 4 midi note triggers, going to 4 drum modules, going to mixer, going to audio out.

Changed the breadboard for a smaller one, as the one above was a bit too cumbersome to use on sofa and did not need to be as big to fit all those controls.

Made a quick acid patch, just a basic thing for now until I get my head around it, but the possibilities seem to be far greater than I remember from before when I had one, seems like a lot of new objects have been added and seems more efficient, this basic patch only uses 6%, so I reckon my acid groovebox idea is definitely possible.

5 Likes

@darenager Sounds great!

In case people don’t know about them, here are the online object libraries:

http://www.privatepublic.de/public/factory-objectlist.html
http://www.privatepublic.de/public/community-objectlist.html

Just reading through there discovering objects fills me with tons of new patch ideas!

2 Likes