Axoloti

oh it’s that for sure :wink:

1 Like

That music thing looked nice… sold out though…
so i have to come up with something myself, or wait for axo-controll or a new batch…
I think i will build something myself…

i dug around a little and it seemed easier to assign midi cc’s than hook up the axo control stuff.

i’m guessing you can plug in a class compliant usb controller.

There is enough room inside the Octatrack to put an axoloti permanently inside, linked to onboard power, midi and audio io.

Could drill a few indicator holes in the Octatrack faceplate, add a small button or two and maybe even a small oled …

Brave project though!

2 Likes

Interesting… maybe I’ll be the idiot who does this?

Thoughts about where you would mount it?

Lots of space in this pic from muffs as you can split the axoloti midi & power board section to fit in one area and the mainboard in the other.

axoloti could be an extra set of effects between cue out and Input, a synth, a sampler, a granularizer, or a midi processor (or whatever you want to create)… or even just to add USB midi to the OT (either as a host to other usb midi devices or as a client usb midi device) using a simple thru patch.

The only potential holes to make in the OT case would be for the two USB ports as you could route the audio and midi io internally between the OT and the axoloti, and pull 6v from the OT DC in, with a booster to 7v into the axoloti DC in (unless you can find a regulated 5v source already available on the OT PCB…

OT warranty suicide of course …

3 Likes

I’ve got the perfect candidate for this :wink:

Possibly you could remove some of the larger IO sockets from the axoloti to shrink it further. Or ask Johannes to make you a board without them already soldered on … extending the USB ports by cable would be very useful in choosing where to make your OT holes, which would ideally be at the rear panel near the CF card slot.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve got a messy as fuck Octatrack… that I’m planning on custom OS or taking it apart and making a custom case with all sorts of custom shit handing in there, Axoloti, arduino processers etc…

whynotboth.jpg

3 Likes

Oh, I remember that… the “A My Little Pony vomited on my Octatrack” Octatrack. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah, that would be one brave mod!

I have an axoloti board lying around - haven’t got any proper idea what I should turn that into. Luckily I don’t have an Octatrack :wink:

The AxolOT

4 Likes

Oooohhhhh… I like that, I’m going to nick that <3

How decent is axoloti as an FX box?

I’m happy with it. Now it has only one patch in it made of MI clouds code which was ported some time ago. I use it in live pa situation as freezer-granulator / grain delay and i also mapped it’s controls to my midi controller

2 Likes

Axoloit II is nearing the end of development (unfortunately for now that means no more Axolotis in stock, since the last batch of the original is sold out). Apparently it’s more or less the same thing with the same price but way more RAM and about 4x the CPU power. Mine is pretty underutilized right now but when the new one comes out I think I’m going to grab one anyhow, and dedicate the original to being a USB-MIDI host and MIDI processing box, and start underutilizing the v2 for synthesis experiments instead.

One downside for OT users is no more onboard DIN MIDI. It’s still there but it’s on pin headers now (to make room for the bigger CPU) and you have to get an off-the-shelf third party breakout board (or design your own) to actually use it. On the up side, there’s some chtter on their forum (aklthough it likely won’t actually happen, but IIRC the person talking about it is the same one who developed this https://zrna.org/ so you never know) about oe of the long time users who is a hardware developer working on an FPAA daughterboard or something - which would potentially mean being able to create analog circuits on the fly inside the Axoloti patcher.

3 Likes

I read it was possible to install Clouds or Elements on Axoloti’s. Maybe better with V2 ?

k, we need to be careful here … to not get confused…

the discussions around a possible new axoloti , are for a board by a different developer (guy behind https://zrna.org) NOT Johannes/Axoloti… - so it is not an Axoloti 2 (!)
it will be something else… talk of it being derived/compatible with Axoloti, but i guess we should wait for release before jumping to too many conclusions.

given its not related to axoloti, this is NOT the reason axoloti is out of stock,
johannes is just one guy company so he doesn’t keep massive inventory, so fills up when they run out and orders a new batch of boards etc…
sometimes this can take a while, because the fab company has a longer than usual lead time on certain components.

we do NOT know what Johannes has been up too, he has not said anything about what he is doing on the hardware front - and he has been pretty quiet for a long time.

however, he has just released Axoloti 2.0 software/firmware for the existing axoloti board.

it is …
the current Axoloti uses the same STM32F429 as elements (i think clouds is smaller?), so can easily run clouds/elements… and in fact with more memory than the MI module.
so a new board wont really change much, I doubt it’ll sound better - without code changes,
perhaps run multiple instances, but that may require changes too.

note: I was the one that ported clouds/elements to axoloti :wink:
I should also point out that the new Axoloti 2.0 OS will need some changes to these objects, as there is a new module structure which allow us to move some of the MI code out of the firmware, into user space… which means I’ll be able to do some changes to it, without having to release a new Axoloti firmware.
also… I now have a eurorack system with MI modules, so i can finally review the code and functionality of the axoloti versions to ensure they are closer to the original eurorack modules.
( I coded them blind when I original did this port!)

13 Likes

We’re lucky to have you here with OT ! Thanks !
Axoloti one day I hope. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m lucky to have access the knowledge, skills and techniques you have all shared here for the OT :slight_smile:

4 Likes