Bummer! Can't sequence Program Change per step

Axoliti is great for MIDI processing but I don’t think they’ll be available for a bit, since development of Axoloti 2 is wrapping up right now.

So many things on my wishlist!

i have this cable!!

1 Like

i have a very under-utilized Axoloti!!

1 Like

i just had an idea, inspired by this thread:

since I’m only using one external synth, I can have up to 8 channels sending to the microFreak.

…so, per pattern, I can at least have 8 program changes available, and I can mute and un-mute the “changes” as I like, while also experimenting with sending lots of changes to the 'freak.

…it’s close but not quite there yet.

Good idea. Caveats : I’m not sure OT would send each track Program Change more than once.

Unfortunately Bank select is useless without Prog Changes…If you can map CCs or Notes to Prog Changes, that’s good.

4 Likes

you’re right. just tried and it’s only playing the first program triggered. darnit.

1 Like

I just opened the midi matrix expecting to see Prog Change under Bank Sel. and no cigar! Previous post deleted so as not to confuse.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Axoloti

Curious if I can continue this thread for help:

I’m trying to control my Bass Station 2 from the OT via midi. As I’ve just learned from this thread OT can’t send step/trig-based Program Changes. I do have a Digitakt that I used to use for the BS2, which indeed could do program changes on separate trigs. But I was intending to start using the BS2 on the OT now for OT’s midi Arp.

Now the current problem for OT>BS2, with OT Program Changes set to ON:
After every Pattern/sequence when it loops back to the start of the sequence, the BS2 quickly switches from the desired Patch-preset to preset zero (sometimes to 32?), and then back to the intended patch preset that PROG is set to.

So every time near the end of the sequence one note is played in anóther preset/patch, and then it jumps back to the right patch on the start of the Sequence again. Any advice / insights?

Is this how OT Program Change works? So a message being sent out shortly before the end of the Pattern évery time it loops? (So not with Bank Changes, correct?) And is that what’s causing this quick switch between patches every time around the sequence looping? (Or could the error still be in the BS2?)

Ways to fix this with Program Change set to ON? And if I would set PC to OFF? Any ways to send one-time PC’s at the start of a new song/pattern/bank? Or does that bring us to trig-based PC’s…?

Curious if anyone has got some help!

[addition: I already made a short video showing the problem and my menu settings, could share if helpful]

I bet you also send Prog Changes from MIDI SYNC page. If you want to sync patterns, choose a specific and common midi channel for Prog Change Send for patterns change, and not AUTO.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I will try this evening asap!

So I tried once more, but with Program Change send to the midi channel of the BS2 (not to AUTO), the same issue: quick patch-switch around the end of the pattern loop. Very strange. I’ve made a video to better clarify.

When I disable program change in the MIDI SYNC page, this error doesn’t occur, and the sequences throughout the different patterns stay on the correct patch on the BS2. Only I’d hope to save the Program Change with the Patterns, or at least the first one of the track, so in the future I won’t forget which patch-slot I used for it (including the Arp saved on the BS2)…

Any other ideas?

Are there other settings menu’s, that this might be conflicting with? (I’m not sure about the settings in MIDI Control?)

PS (FYI Outside of the video I’m changing the Infinite note that’s triggering the Arp to a shorter time, because I thought that might be causing the issue, but the Program Change / patch-switch problem keeps happening as seen on the screen, only you don’t hear a note playing because of the shorter note length not reaching the end of the pattern)

You can either:

• rearrange your BS2 patches so that they correspond to the patterns you want on the OT (or vice versa), or
  • use Parts on the OT to get patterns to send arbitrary PC numbers.
2 Likes

@PeterHanes

O wait! I hadn’t realized that the program changes of the OT are sending out specific numbers corresponding to its Bank/Pattern logic… That makes sense, wow. Okay, so why then is it possible to manually select a PROG in the Midi-Track source-menu? Is that for when you don’t have Program Change send set to ON? (Ah okay things are starting to make sense)

In the case where you want to store in the Part an arbitrary Program Change value on any/all MIDI tracks.

Yes.

2 Likes

OK great, got enough to experiment/read up from here. Thanks again to you both!

1 Like

To get you a head start: using parts won’t give you program changes per step, but a configurable program change when a new pattern (with a different part assigned to it) gets started.

But even if you want only the configurable program change per pattern, using parts may become quickly cumbersome, because you need to copy&paste parts around when you want to change machine settings which should be shared (machine settings are stored in each part separately).

2 Likes

I’ve got enough to wrap my head around with managing parts for different variations of my songs, and trying to fit two songs in one Bank with each song getting two Parts :slight_smile:

So indeed, the Parts approach to Program Changes seems like something I’m gonna skip. For now I think I’ll try out and research some more.

And at least I can save the correct Program number in the Midi-track Source menu [edit: as long as I don’t use Program Changes]. If I start new songs with the midi track level/velocity on zero, I could use the PROG number as reminder to find the patch on the synth manually before I turn the level/velocity up in the midi Track.

Yep. I wouldn’t change a part only for a patch program change.
I rather use another sequencer or a midi processor to do that. Manually, why not!
I also like the patch program change number matching pattern, as @PeterHanes mentioned, but you have to be very strict in your workflow…

1 Like