Arturia V Collection X

Perhaps not. I imagine 99 is the level I think most people would consider this acceptable.

I was curious about this, as I thought I remembered a $249 “introductory offer” when I’d skipped versions in the past. However, I found an old Synthtopia comments section from 2020 where it looks like people were indeed quoted $299 upgrades for VC 8!

Given that I eventually got a bundle of 8 + one instrument that would be part of 9 for I think $149, I strongly suspect VC X will eventually tempt me with a similar deal.

Finally managed to get on to the site. I’m still on V5 (I only use the SEM and Jupiter fairly regularly) so my upgrade offer is E399. Probably reasonable enough for all the new stuff I’d be getting, but not really what I need right now :smiley:

I’m on V9 AND I have a Minifreak and they’re asking me $199! Absolutely not. It’s the highest upgrade price they’ve ever asked me for, for the fewest actual upgrades.

Maybe I’ll write to them and ask for a lower price.

2 Likes

Easy pass on this.

Chip shortages = price increases

Wait… wait.

2 Likes

More or less the same. I own V9 and Acid V + a few other filters and reverbs. My cost is $149 (I think because I already bought Acid), but I never touch the Augmented stuff, and am not super interested in MiniFreak or CP-70. So the only real benefit for me is the Mini V4 upgrade, and I can by that a la carte for $50.

If I do that, I worry that Collection XI will be super expensive next year, but really the benefit of the Collection to me is just to mess around with synths I’d otherwise never have been able to play with. I don’t need the latest and greatest for that. Maybe paying for specific updates to the specific synths I actually care about is the way to go from here on out?

1 Like

It’s genuinely a shame they screwed this up a bit on the big 10, complacency? Normally something interesting and fair priced upgrades.

1 Like

Let me know how that goes. With acid, mini freak, literally everything else, and having upgraded to v9 all of a week ago I’m feeling stung by the 199 ask… not really stung since I’m not spending any money but I’m not getting why others are getting a lower offer given the minimal additional value I’d be getting.

1 Like

I think those prices are a bit random.
I had 9, and the 303, got it offered for 149,- euro. I bought v9 as first version. Perhaps it’s the difference between upgrade from upgrade or upgrade for new customer?

I bought it, because I’m interested in the freak too and wanted to buy it anyway (not as keyboard).

Just a “finger in the wind” on this one, but it’s interesting to hear initial reviews somewhat lukewarm on this one. I’m hearing some reviewers who had V Collection down as a no brainer bundle now saying maybe Korg Collection is a better option. It’s a bit odd because it’s the same across a few youtubers.

Are the likes of u-he likely to win out here with their less but better approach? I’m just wondering if there’s a limit to how many times Arturia can refresh with minimal changes and charge 100-200 for that. Or is it maybe just that one you have a bundle, upgrading/adding individual instruments start to make more sense than bundles.

Unless there is something specific that Korg offers that Arturia does not, I would always prefer the Arturia version.

I think the “lukewarm” response is mostly a reflection on the few additions since the last version. V Collection is still a great collection of plugs, and Korg’s collection is… Korg’s. Definitely an apples and bananas comparison.

Since you shouldn’t say anything at all if you can’t say anything nice, I’ll stop here. :joy:

Plugins aren’t a zero sum game. There will be many winners.

1 Like

I use Hive and Diva more than the whole V Collection.

If I was starting again I wouldn’t rebuy anything Arturia other than Fragments.

Yeah it’s probably an unfair comparison. I just thought hmmm, the same folks saying in 2022 V9 is a must have bundle now saying they’re not sure. Same thing happened to NI but sooner than this of course.

Fair. You could make a case for u-he covering loads of ground in less synths than a bigger bundle - though there’s is also pretty sizeable if you stack them all up. But getting loads of sounds out of one synth like Diva is a definite win. I guess unlike the others they are approximations of gear vs the Arturia approach which is more based around direct emulation.

2 Likes

I think there’s a big difference between a bad bundle and a bad upgrade. V Collection is a fantastic bundle, but VCX is an underwhelming upgrade. And unlike Korg, you know Arturia’s products will actually be supported and updated regularly!

5 Likes

Yeah, bad upgrade. The bundle’s fine, and broad-enough that everyone can find their favorites and kind of ignore the rest. For me it’s SEM, Mini V3, CZ, and Jup-8… and Pigments. Pretty low number actually. I just never open the rest of them after an initial play. Everyone’s going to have their own list, I figure, but I doubt anybody really ‘uses’ all of it unless it’s the only thing you have.

I’ll probably just stick to those from now on and forget about the bundle.

Totally true. Hive, Dune, Serum or heck, Pigments all cover a lot more ground… perhaps everything present in the V collection. But (IMHO) the point of the V collection is not really to “cover ground”.

Rather, its goal to provide familiar, intuitive access to classic machines that shaped music as we know it today. That’s why they all have those over-the-top hyper-realistic interfaces. For those who know they want a Juno sound, and have the muscle memory to dial that in, the V collection lets them find it and use it just like they expect. And for those of us that are using these for the first time, the limitations of the interfaces of the originals was just as much a part of their sound as their engines, so we get to learn from that, too. That’s pretty powerful and something really only the V collection offers in such depth.

It’s also why Arturia’s decision to stick the Augmented stuff on there makes little sense and is not seen by many as worth the upgrade. The Augmented libraries don’t map to anyone’s classic experience, nor do they educate a new audience on how classic sounds were made.

But if you are interested in electronic music and also don’t own a ARP, B3, Easel, Fairlight, CS-80, Juno, Jupiter, MS-20, Synthi, Synclavier, 303, Minimoog, and dozens of others I’m forgetting, V collection is definitely still a no brainer.

5 Likes

Sound library additions always make me cringe and worry because it’s usually the first step in forgetting that you used to make instruments. Actual instruments.

1 Like

For real. I used to be the biggest fan of Native Instruments :sob: . Hope Arturia keeps their eye on the ball.

UVI Falcon looks like ilthe best deal in town suddenly. I think V 10 looks only ok, not worth it for me…but seeing this in the context of how NI’s been slscking off makes me wonder about the route these bundle plugin vendors might be taking. With VSTs more is not always more…but “‘more” seems to be the easiest pitch