Arturia Minibrute 2 / 2S

It is indeed a very fine synth. I’ve got it in the 2S guise but I’d have a kbd too if one came along at the right price.

2 Likes

The Oscillator Sink videos have been mentioned…

Here’s what hooked me again onto the MB2:

1 Like

Arturia’s been killing it for the past 5 years or so.

2 Likes

I love my Minibrute 2, and plan to purchase a Minibrute 2S Noir soon. IMO, awesome synths for the price.

4 Likes

I had a Matrixbrute that I tried to get along with for years. Sold it and bought a Minibrute 2S on a whim and I instantly clicked with it and was immediately setting up samplers to record sequences I was making. In short, I find it very inspiring.

4 Likes

A little bit of Minibrute and a little bit of Syntrx goes a long way.

1 Like

So much love for the Minibrute 2/s.

:heart:

3 Likes

So a music store here in Sydney had the Minibrute 2s on their website for $539 AUD (a little less than 400 USD) brand new, half the retail price. Called them up, they said they had to order more stock and that price was incorrect. Damn…

I guess at least i’m not buying something that i wasn’t planning on getting lol

How did I miss this?
Looks like an amazing synth! Lots of very cool features. They’ve really done it right.

4 Likes

I ask myself the same question… plus this synth is really great, with a fat sound and good built quality.

Hi guys! Is it possible to record (realtime and step rec) on 2S using an external keyboard like say Keystep?
Or I cand JUST play it from Keystep and not being able to use it on rec?
Thanks a lot!
(Tried that on Minibrute 2 and it seems it doesn’t work(recording that is), but maybe 2S is different)

Anyone can give me a hand?

These have been out for quite a long time now. Any users care to comment on how well the 2s can be used for improvising with?

I had it for a while and think it’s a great improv synth. In the end it was just too ‘big’ for me in terms of desk space for what it delivered (a mono synth with a great sequencer). The sequencer was great though and really playable. On top of that the ‘knob per function’ layout makes it fun to play and great for improvisation. I’d buy it again.

3 Likes

I think improvising is definitely the 2S’s strength. Like the previous poster said, knob per function and playable sequencer. I think you have to love its timbre to fall in love with it though. Some people find it too harsh. I love it. It can be tamed, but its wheelhouse is ripping and snorting. Great sweeping resonance with the Brute Factor pinned high to keep the low end. It’s one of the funnest synths I’ve laid hands on. And what a freaking bargain it is, jesus.

6 Likes

This is a great synth for jamming out over a sequence because you have a lot of different options for changing up the sound. The wave sliders and FM/RM controls in the filter section are pretty cool. You can even do a bit of live patching while you’re at it. Recording and multitracking can expand the possibilities too - like creating chords with multiple sequences, or a simple ‘drum’ part using the noise osc + looping AD envelope. I will often let the random or S&H LFOs drive the pitch for me with the band pass filter for random craziness.

Arturia seems to encourage you to complement it with some Eurorack, given the existence of the matchy Rackbrutes, but I’d suggest augmenting it with external effects, either hardware or in a DAW. Well-chosen delay and reverb can soften it up and take it to some ethereal places. The synthesist on a budget looking for an all-hardware setup could do a lot worse than picking up one of these plus a handful of cheap mini pedals.

4 Likes

You should also be able to use it with some software synthesizers/gear - say on an iPad. I have the MB2, and can use the keyboard and a few other things to play with iPad synthesizers.

You’ve been AudioPilz’d

8 Likes

I’d love to know how many people work on these videos. His videos are such class. I’ve also wondered if he/they make most of the memes, or that there are just that many synth meme’s out there? I still don’t understand what’s up with that glass of water on the bookshelf. WHAT PURPOSE DOES IT SERVE!?!?!

I’m stoked to see it on Bad Gear! I love it when he does a synth I like.

This reminds me: does anyone have a scratchy filter pot on their Minibrute 2/2S? I have a 2S and it seems like the filter sounds scratchy until the synth warms up. It’s not a huge deal, as I usually let it warm up before tuning the oscillators, but wondering if this is something I could easily fix.

Any tips? Does this sound like a matter of cleaning it? I wonder how hard it is to actually access the potentiometer to be able to clean it.

2 Likes