Arturia Minibrute 2 / 2S

You ever seen the movie Signs?

5 Likes

One thing that I find slightly annoying is that you cannot adjust the start step of the sequencer or rotate the pattern! Seems like a big miss given how great many of the other aspects of this synth are - the pads and knobs feel great and I love the general sequencing workflow, but once Iā€™ve thrown down a semi-random pattern and I find a bit I like I often want to use set start or rotate it to make what I think the start should be in the right place.

There is a loop function for the sequencer which allows you to hold some steps to loop that part live, but itā€™s not the same as set start or rotate for composing a pattern.

I think I got too used to my Zaquencer and I always miss those features when using the MB2S sequencer.

But generally yes I do love jamming on it, out through FX and into a looper.

Also picked up a Neutron recently to pair with it too. Lots of possibilities now!

I did, but I was smoking a lot of pot back then, so, no.

2 Likes

You can try blasting some electronics cleaner into the pot. Thatā€™s what I do with my scratch pots, and it usually solves the problem the majority of the time, unless the pots have so much gunk that a little bit more TLC is needed, or they just need replacing.

1 Like

Quick recap. Aliens land in homeboys cornfield, they want to drink all his water. Home slice is like ā€˜nah, broā€™ and plays sick arpā€™s from his MiniBrute. Aliens be like ā€˜what?! Iā€™m out, Gā€™ and fly back to Uranus.

3 Likes

Ohhh that was Signs? Yeah, yeah now I remember.

I would love to love it if it hadnā€™t that steiner parker filter.
i think it sounds like sand in the valley down the spine :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! Do you mean without dismantling it? Or should the rubber knob come off first? I donā€™t see how they should come off

1 Like

Without it itā€™d just be another Moog, not the tasmanian devil it is.

3 Likes

Just get like a couple cards or a plastic flat head, maybe a heavy guitar pick, anything that you can use as a lever. Use it to push up on the knobs. They slide off, bit I just really snug. Iā€™d put some paper towel around the base of the knob before spraying just to soak up any of the cleaner. It wonā€™t hurt anything g, but just makes clean up easier.
Oh look pics of what I mean. I used a guitar pick.

I twisted the pick up as opposed to lifting up.

2 Likes

Perhaps.
That doesnā€™t mean I need to like it because of that :wink:

Awesome. Thatā€™s very helpful

1 Like

Totally true. I just wonder sometimes if people write off the Steiner too quickly without really exploring it. It can be quite expressive.

Addendum: The S version is actually quite a fun acid machine with its ties and slides and modulation lanes. I always think about selling it because it is so big, but then i jam on it and realize itā€™s the funnest performance-oriented synth i own.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve owned and sold it twice. I have such mixed feelings on it, especially the filter, but nothing Iā€™ve owned acids quite like it does.

2 Likes

some of those memes were brutal

when it comes to modular i only sometimes f with vcv rack but when i do Iā€™m 100% virgin all oscillators

2 Likes

I think Iā€™ll pick up a 2S noir. Above it Iā€™ll put a 104hp skiff with my DFAM and some utilities and effects. Talk me out of it? Worst mistake of my life?

2 Likes

I struggle with the 2S. Itā€™s a solid package with an excellent sequencer and a pile of useful modular options, but I just canā€™t get behind the sound - it just comes across as bland, and this is especially noticeable when you pair it with Euroroack (which is a shame, because the 2S and a Rackbrute make a really nice pairing). So it always feels like half of the space itā€™s taking up could be put to better use. A DFAM will clobber the oscillators and filter of the 2S without breaking a sweat, but you could absolutely put the sequencer and modular utilities to good use.

@davidj The sound of the 2S is subjective. Itā€™s bland for one person and acidic goodness for another. I would say the Steiner-Parker filter is a lot of things, but bland isnā€™t an adjective Iā€™d use to describe it. Itā€™s not my favorite filter, but the 2S, with its many modulation sequencing lanes and fast workflow, is so fun that it could be a coffee filter in there and I wouldnā€™t mind.

Edit: if you have doubts about the SP filter, go see what Automatic Gainsay on youtube can do with it.

ā€œWe donā€™t want a Moog filter because there are Moogs to be had.ā€ ā€“ Marc Doty

Itā€™s certainly subjective, Iā€™ve just never met an Arturia filter I got on with. The rack I had above it had an STO and a Ripples, and there was no competition. Of course that pairing didnā€™t cost far off the price of the 2S, and did a lot less. I suppose ultimately it feels like a classic jack of all trades device, though thatā€™s a bit unfair as it is something of a master in terms of step sequencing,

2 Likes