Arturia MicroFreak

Yeah or at least say ‘we’ve dug in to the open source from Mutable Instruments and put it in our synth’. Not imply it was a legit team collab. This is gonna haunt them…

2 Likes

Yeah not sure how they though they were gonna get away with this one, ‘mutable instruments’ is all over the advertising for this thing

1 Like

I don’t know what oliviers code is on likeness rights but I’m sure he could Def go far in court on that.

Looks like an interesting package to me. Want.

this isn’t cool by Arturia. Feels strange because of the french connection. I wonder what “paid in PR” means.

Like if he was notified and signed something so he can be paid for having MI branding attached, or if all he got was free advertising in exchange

The latter. Not that he agreed to it.

I guess if it wasn’t all over the abvertising then people would be all, ‘they’re being really lame letting people think it’s their own algos’. But clear, full transparency on the (non) extent of the ‘collab’ was surely a no-brainer. Massive PR fail. Rep instantly trashed. Congrats Arturia!

Damn. From selfish POV I’m pretty torn on purchase now :confused:

1 Like

Arturia says: our partners at Mutable Instruments. on their web-site.

There must be more to the story here.

Absolute nonstarter for me. Oliviers karma deserves better.

3 Likes

The fuck? Pre-order cancelled.

4 Likes

haha yea F arturia. I haven’t given them a penny (despite really wanting the keystep) because of the lack of quality i’ve found on the microbrute. Fun lil bugger but riddled with poor construction.

Now this kind of BS against mutable puts them in the behringer pile of synth/musical instrument mfg i won’t touch with a 10 foot pole in my studio.

MI even in the past have been super cool with allowing people to make a living off front panel re-designs and other hardware adaptations as long as they don’t use the original graphics.

Pretty simple IMO, someone at Arturia really dropping the ball or they have their head so far up their asses that they think they’re blessing them by simple affiliation.

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s one of the good guys. Hopefully long term he benefits out of all this in a way that makes up for how bummed he sounds about it right now.

1 Like

At least there are still companies out there who know how to innovate. Nice box.

Dear Elektron, Make this synth ASAP and handle everything right so we can all buy it :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I was stoked on this! Such a shame it comes with this bad taste in mouth :confused:

5 Likes

Hmmm wanted this but now? Well Oliver has had loads of my money and will get more, bloody morals it’s a bit like wondering if you should go out with your mates ex?

5 Likes

Uli coppin dated models is one thing (not that I agree with it). Arturia claiming a collab cause they did what any decent coder could do is quite another.

If they removed mutable logos and any reference other than in the details I might be back in.

hahaah

Should give MI the appropriate percentage of sales as an apology for playing dirty…

Taking his work is one thing, he’s obviously cool with that as it’s open source, Arturia should have realised how amazing that is, instead of totally taking the piss…

2 Likes

well that was a turn of events. I don’t have much knowledge in law but isn’t it illegal to use the Mutable name when advertising this? I hope Emillie ends up owning this company

2 Likes