Arturia MicroFreak

Slightly off-topic, but Émilie (previously Olivier) came out earlier this month :slight_smile: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsV0r-chdkO/

And yeah, that Arturia are advertising this as being made with ‘our partners at Mutable Instruments’… sheesh.

18 Likes

Yeah, using open source code is one thing, but advertising a non-existing collaboration is simply wrong.

I read this differently than others here.

“Paid in PR.” Doesn’t that mean an agreement over payment.

“in a design about which I had nothing to say.” Again sounds to me, like an agreement was done, (though i’d wait to hear more on this). It’s not surprising to me that Arturia is responsible for the design of the synth.

Same with the statement: “What pisses me off … and genuinely think it’s something I’ve been involved in.” Does he again mean that people would think he was involved in the design of the Micro Freak, or does he mean – They ripped the code off entirely?

I’m going to wait to hear more. I think there is more to this.

4 Likes

Thank you for the PSA!!! I had no idea. Congrats and happy birthday to her!

2 Likes

nah i’m not even that aggravated by the 1:1 cheap clone reissues or tongue in cheek front panel designs. if you read or talk to anyone who’s worked there it seems like he is not very good at respecting his employees or dealing with other manufacturers respectfully.

There’s an honorable way to do this type of thing, look at various Japanese industries small and large who have taken direct influence from the west but have done so with class and sensitivity to the pioneers of their craft.

Anyways, this is all mainly off topic… but yea, arturia won’t get a penny from me til they can take care of Emilie.

1 Like

I guess it’s all part of the ‘paid in PR’ deal they had :confused:

Maybe…

But if Emilie is pissed I’m pissed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

true, but have some class. If there was an agreement it’s a bit of a different story

Yeah for sure

So?

1 Like

I was referring to Emilie as he and their previous name. They were letting me know.

9 Likes

It was to let people know Oliver is not her name…

6 Likes

I don’t think the therm “paid in pr” mean that there is an agreement. It’s more like he won’t get anything from Arturia, expect exposure.

Just like if someone stole your music, put it in a blockbuster movie. And only thing you got was some pr. And that doesn’t pay the bills.

And even if it’s open source it doesn’t mean everyone can do what they want with it. Commercial use is different I would think.

Didn’t know this either and need to email them later this week so I’m glad for the heads up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Issues of trans recognition aside, ‘Olivier’ isn’t her name, nor are he/his her pronouns. Seems that people who care about her and her work might value the update - and they did :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Screw Arturia, if they reallly ripped off MI I‘m out.

2 Likes

Sorry, I‘d missed the context.

5 Likes

This is a valid thought. Out of the options of using or not using MIs brand on this thing, I think it’s better to use their name.

I think MI will get more attention from Arturia than Arturia from MI.

Perhaps Emilee wanted to have more control over the final product, but Arturia took full control, but wanted to give credit where credit is due.

I don’t know the legality of using open source

1 Like

This completely depends on the used open source license.

4 Likes

A third party just ported Mutable Plaits to the Korg Prologue too. And are giving it away for free, i take it from the article.

I’ll be interested to hear more detail on this.