Arturia MicroFreak

You know … i was never really that interested in the MicroBrute, but there is an awful lot of a good sort of craziness in the Micro Freak!

Micro%20Freak%20Graphic

1 Like

Ah ok, no Steiner Parker this time… SEM Filter.
I really like the idea of this synth

1 Like

Cool. Wonder if you can also record Spice/Dice automation in to a sequence?

This is also a CV out/USB/Midi polyAT controller (will be great on Arturias Buchla Easel V which will no doubt be tweaked to work with it!)

Seriously, a polyAT MI designed synth engines with very powerful sequencer with west coast random and all types of modular tricks, matrix mod, analog filter for 299E…sorry, this just won NAMM in my opinion.

11 Likes

Or use it on midi output?

3 Likes

I’m happy to see further embrace of the stranger side of things this year. If one has to have a keyboard (keyboards are so boring!), this at least is an interesting one. I like seeing the different synthesis modes, and the slice’n’dice features.

1 Like

Yep and cv. This is looking like a purchase…

2 Likes

Spice and Dice looks (so far) to be an awful lot easier to use than the probability feature on the Elektrons. I wonder what parameters can get Spiced and Diced?

Seriously. That is a hell of an interesting package.

I would just need to find the room though…

2 Likes

Is it just Params that get spiced/diced? Or phrasing/melody too? Maybe MI threw some Marbles type stuff in the mix too?

1 Like

Looks like the note lengths get messed up too based on the diagrams on https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak/details

2 Likes

Just listened to the samples in the section labelled:

Sure, but what does it sound like?

(From the site on the post i linked back to.)

All the versatility represented here:
BASSES, PADS, KEYS, LEADS, SEQUENCES, SFX. They all sound good to me.

2 Likes

Which ones? All models have an AUX which outputs intresting stuff related to their main OUT, but I can’t think of one where this is intendes as L/R stereo pairs.

Yeah no l/r on plaits. Was referring to the main/aux

Interesting box.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it sounds great, especially for something with no onboard effects. I’d been thinking of getting the Minilogue XD for something fun and “one knob per function” to supplement all my Elektron gear + Blofeld, but I think this looks like more my cup of tea and is nearly half the price :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those have the STeiner parker filter. This one has a SEM-like 12db analog Filter. I guess the sound will be very different. not sure also if the Filter has self-reso.

1 Like

Sick. I love these digital/analog hybrids. Enough memory for 2 patterns per patch!! Finally, at least Arturia understands…

3 Likes

It’s somewhat like a 21st century MC-202.

I’ve been trying to find something suitable for my niece, and this might fit the bill. Roll on the in-depth, hands-on reviews.

8 Likes

What’s with the shit graphics on the case?

4 Likes