Arturia MicroFreak

I was super happy with my MF, I’m even happier now. I agree on the comments on the effects, but frankly even the basic effects on my Xenyx 1002 mixer are enough to make the MF shine.
And it already sounds good dry…

4 Likes

Installed the 3.0.6 update on my Twin Freaks, today.
Love the new oscillators, great tone shaping options.
These are very good synths, even more so, at the price they sell for.
The mod matrix is so easy to use, and so powerful.
I ended up getting two, for stereo fun.

1 Like

I’ve updated my MikroFreak, recorded a little jam using only new oscillators and some drum one-shots in the OT. After the jam I explained all parts of the mix. New oscillators are awesome!

7 Likes

I decided to dust it off, and try the new firmware. In order to do so though, I felt a cosmetic update was needed as well :smiley:

18 Likes

Ooh the freak looks clean with no orange! Noted.

1 Like

no more twiddly knobs!

1 Like

Much better now

That orange makes it cheap and tacky

1 Like

I plan to upgrade my MicroFreak’s firmware later today. In addition, an Arturia MicroFreak Gooseneck Mic I ordered a few weeks ago is out for delivery, and should arrive soon. It’s going to be a fun evening.

1 Like

Where did you get these?
Looks slick :slight_smile:

Those 3 new OSC are good. Very good.

1 Like

I love my microfreak too, I’m thinking about doing an album with just the microfreak and a Digitakt, love limitations, while I admit that’s a wide variety of sounds so pretty easy challenge after all. I also love the new update with last recall on last saved patch. And the new osc and unison and unison count, I love using 2 on wavetable for instance.

My microfreak goes into a polara reverb, and man how I wish for that zoia empress, that would just be the killer set up, mf to zoia.

Peace

Did you check out the Audiothingies Doctor A?

I haven’t, is it good?

I like the “building and patching” approach to empress…

I wanted a basic direct to the point fx quality box :slight_smile:
Not that many algorithms but again they are all spectacular in terms of quality.

Those are Alco knobs, now owned by Tyco/TE. You can order them from Mouser, and I believe Synthcube may also stock them.

Small black Rogans would also work, and you can get those from Thonk.UK

Note, they are set-screw type, so they don’t just slide onto the D-shafts. It took a bit of work to make them not wobble.

I’d look for something with 6mm D maybe if possible for the easiest swap. Set screw will still work, they just need careful placement. Sometimes small shims help.

5 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Sadly, I need to return my Arturia MicroFreak for a replacement. I have not had much time to evaluate the MicroFreak until this weekend, in spite of its arrival a month ago. The touch keyboard is very unresponsive before and after the firmware update. When notes do play, the sound is delayed by a few seconds regardless of the attack setting. Via MIDI with a controller, as I will mostly use the MicroFreak, it works fine.

Hopefully, the replacement unit works as intended.

Checking out the new OS:

3 Likes

One thing I would like to see in a future update is a way to move the sequence left and right by 1 step (similar to Elektrons with FUNC + arrows)
Also hoping they allow for unison mode on sequences - currently if you copy the ARP to SEQ, you loose the unison, which is unfortunate

1 Like

Will they ever do a ‘larger’-freak that is implied as a counterpart to the ‘micro’??

Double the oscs? interactions between those two oscs? more complex filter? polyphonic filters? more extensive mod-matrix? integrated fx-that can be extensively addressed through the modmatrix? 3 octave?

1 Like

I’m waiting for the module (keyboard-less) version …

EDIT: But then, when this arrives, my GAS for a Microfreak may subside.