Arturia MicroFreak

Ah, got a bit excited thinking it was a little pin matrix.

1 Like

indeed - Iā€™m super hoping they released it to some youtubers to better show its potential - like, within the hour ideally

oh boy - I find that Iā€™m starting to actually feel competitive with all the folk lusting after this, yā€™all feel like queue jumpers in this altered gassy state - the real leveller is having too much stuff already, it just doesnā€™t work for me, but Iā€™m a sucker for blueā€™nā€™orange and digginā€™ their music-easel-esque keyboard vibe

the capacitive keybed is a super letdown. Why not just use regular keys, its not like it will make it that much bigger.

Polyphonic aftertouch is a feature not often found. This may have made that feature more accessible at the target price.

3 Likes

MicroFreak%20Micro%20Screen

OK ā€“ Annoying is the Postage stamp Micro Freak Micro Screen. And i think youā€™d be using it a lot, setting up all those oscillators and change the definable slots in the mod-matrix, etc. Perhaps there is also (or perhaps surely) there will also be a computer based editor too.

But it does keep the price down (and size too).

I imagine its because its a cheap way to make it MPE compatible (which is a great feature at this price point). I think this looks super exciting and canā€™t wait to get my hands on one!

This is cool little wierdo :star_struck:

1 Like

Good word ā€¦ ā€œwierdoā€. That will no doubt turn some people off to it. I think of the Dreadbox/Polyend Medusa somehow, a synth different enough that people canā€™t necesssarily relate to it right away.

Damn. I want this.

1 Like

Lame marketing aside, looks awesome to me,
Thatā€™s the sound palette I lack

1 Like

Just had a proper look on the Arturia product page, the godawful promo video is top and center of the page, but scrolling down reveals actual useful information and shows off the nice little design features and gives a much better impression of the synth, seriously WTF were they thinking with that video, it actually misleads in a very negative way I think, the synth looks great but in the video it comes across like a landfill groovebox. Bizarre considering they are aiming it at those who want something different.

2 Likes

4 voice paraphonic shruthi/wavetable with analog multimode, for 300?

dayum

5 Likes

Itā€™s not about size ā€“ they could use the same keys that are in the MicroBrute. Itā€™s about price and performance. These things will fly in performance, if they do it right as it sounds they have. Plus no moving parts so they will (likely) be super reliable.

Will be interesting to try this version of this in particular.

ADDED: I much prefer this keyboard to the version Modal choose for their Skulpt synth. Are those called bubble switches? Thatā€™s another alternative for an inexpensive keyboard.

Yes on the website they make a point of mentioning it is very responsive.

I agree with the price thing but I just cant see how these are more for performance. Maybe im old fashioned but cant imagine something flat like these to be more playable than a regular keyboard, as far as touch this would be like tapping on a table.

If I was Arturia id put the same thing on my own products description though. I feel they knew there would be people like me letdown by the keybed choice.

Interesting concept, but by golly gosh that promo video gave me a level of cringe that will haunt me as if Iā€™d dropped my trousers at school and called the teacher mummy.

Still, itā€™s good to see Dappy from N-Dubz is still workingā€¦

6 Likes

Looks really interesting. Wavetables are the new analogueā€¦

For what itā€™s worth, Arturia couldnā€™t have been more helpful getting my Keystep replaced, especially as they had to chase up the retailer who was ignoring my emails about return under warranty.

1 Like

True ā€“ but itā€™s a table with polyphonic aftertouch. The harder you push the more response you get. (More of your finger is in contact with the surface and so there is more capacitance that can be detected.)

I wondered at first (but now i doubt) that there is position sensing too, like the x and y on the ROLI keyboard. But these sorts of keyboards can be built to allow this too.

ADDED: Side-line to the topic, hereā€™s an example of an X Y sensing capacitive keyboard that you can retro-fit to a regular sized keyboard. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Only 1 jack output? Stereo?

This looks great, I hope they continue with the collaboration with MI and hopefully us non eurorack users can get something similar to clouds