Arturia MicroFreak

Yes, I owned one maaaaaany moons ago. :slight_smile: Sadly I donā€™t have the time for more than one synth at a time, really. Focused on learning the MF which is just perfect for the amount of time and space I have these days. My Polar is in storage!

I think I might try the wavetable modes in Factory (Sugar Bytes) on my iPad if I need a less harsh sound. :smiley:

The Details page for the Arturia MicroFreak says that that Wavetable mode ā€œcontains 16 wavetables to explore, with room for more in the future.ā€ So maybe there will be more variety later.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s great news! Hope they deliver. :slight_smile:

I wonder if the MF was rushed out a bitā€¦maybe to arrive before Superbooth?

1 Like

More wavetables is not the only future thing mentioned on that page.

MicroFreak currently contains 12 oscillator types, but weā€™ve left room for more to be added in the future!

So what other oscillators would you all like to be added?

1 Like

Not sure where Arturia actually filmed this ā€“ the place looks like it costs a million, but the synths for this productijon were only $1200. Three MicroFreaks and an Impact.
It is one of those over the top promotion videos, but worth a peak if for nothing more than seeing the movements used in the camera shots.

1 Like

first i would like more words for talk

1 Like

Like being able to do text like on the Waldorf NW1 would be great.

1 Like

Something granular for example :smiley:

1 Like

Simple sample player oscillator to make pitched, polyphonic synth sounds from short recordings (birds! Bugs! Saying ā€œahā€ into a microphone!).

As long as we could load them in via USB I wouldnā€™t even be mad that the MicroFreak canā€™t sample. Lol. :smile:

Iā€™d also like to see another modal oscillator that leans more towards Rings. The current modal oscillator leans more towards Elements to my ear, which is great, but it doesnā€™t reflect some of the nice sounding Rings modes/components. Would be nice to have more of Rings in the box beyond whatā€™s captured in the current iteration of the modal algorithm.

1 Like

Can anyone who was experiencing jumpy encoders comment on the level of improvement with the new firmware.

Is the bug just ā€œimprovedā€ (aā€™la Blofeld) or fully squashed?

Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s better now. But havenā€™t played that much since I updatedā€¦

I noticed a bit of the jitters with some of my encoders, but it wasnā€™t as pronounced as what some people had experienced. I think.

After upgrading Iā€™ve found the machine to be a much smoother ride than before, in ways that are hard to describe. Like the ride after you get your wheels aligned, and brakes and tire pressure checked? :smiley:

Iā€™m very happy that Arturia got it out so soon, although I really wish manufacturers would just release something thatā€™s as good as possible rather than ā€œEh, good enough, fix it on the back endā€ types of releases.

Iā€™m still really digging mine. So much to explore. Editing sequences is SO well thought out - itā€™s a breeze once you understand it (thatā€™s what I explored a bit today). Better than editing parameter locks on Elektrons, IMO.

1 Like

before or after the firmware upgrade?

Before. No issues after.

3 Likes

After the update the issue seems to be gone here too, but I have worked on the synth maybe for one or two hours only after the update, though.

Has anyone opened theirs yet?

Hack-a-Freak?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the env-cutoff value jump one or two times in the +/- 5 hrs Iā€™ve used it after upgrading. Huge improvement compared to first firmware. Almost completely solved, Iā€™d say.

Iā€™m very happy with how this synth works now, I keep making sounds on it and keep playing them.

1 Like

Can someone try assigning the Arp/Seq rate to the Mod Matrix and report back?

According to the manual, that knob can be a target but I canā€™t get it assigned. When I turn the Rate knob it actually starts changing the value rather than assigning it to the Mod Matrix.

Thanks!

Edit: it looks like I can get it to work if itā€™s not receiving clock, but that shouldnā€™t be a limitation since the LFO Rate knob is still assignable even when syncedā€¦?

It works with me, have only used it without ext clock until now. Only problem I found was when a modulator is assigned to the arp rate it becomes impossible to adjust the midpoint of modulation by using te rate knob itself: the display shows the modulated valueā€¦ (especially noticable when modulating with random LFOā€¦)