Arturia MicroFreak

Sounds surprisingly good, aside from that rather tepid snare.

What’s up with the endtables on the wall?

That’s what represents Ɔȑȇǻƫǐwiŧŷ at Thomann.

I agree it does sound good – i was planning to wait for the BigFreak (or whatever they are going to call it) – but this at this price will be difficult to resist.

2 Likes

SuperFreak! :joy: The synth you don’t take home to mother… (Unless it’s Mother-32)

3 Likes

Looks like they don’t ship (at least mine) until May. Not a huge deal for me as I’m still reworking the studio, and just got my TherapSID. Just a data point for release.

Actually, that was a christmas gift from Arturia to all employees, it is personalized with our own name on it :wink:

And MicroFreak runs on USB so I guess Bryan used it in this demo.

5 Likes

A Loopop No Talk! That’s really rare from him.
He is just playing the presets, and it sounds great. He’ll be doing a review soon but in the mean time decided to share a preview with everyone.

Warning this is 39 minutes long!

6 Likes

Not so rare. His Digitone no talk preset noodling video made me order one…

1 Like

Bo does a first impression on the μFreak (w/ talking)

Bo does a real nice exposition that sounds super nice. Almost 17 minutes in length.

Cool putting voice changes into a sequence.

ADDED: GAS warning!

1 Like

Looks so homebrew I love it…

Great (as always) walk through by Loopop.

9 Likes

^ This box is the best freaking thing since sliced bread. MicroFact.

4 Likes
10 Likes

This ought to be good. I’m getting used to Stimming and his dry, German sense of humor. Tells it like it is (to him, at least).

Please stop posting this vids :smile:…no seriously enjoyed that one.

MicroFreak or Minilogue XD? Or will the 2 coexist?

Which one is more experiMental

That’s up to what you want and expect, it’s subjective – but objectively in cost for performance the μFreak is hard to beat – it’s less than half the cost of the XD.

They’re both great deals, and would be good together imo.

1 Like

Not watched Stimming’s vido yet but really enjoyed Loopop’s… I’ve little doubt I’ll enjoy Stimming’s as they’re usually pretty informative and I really enjoy his sense of humour. Really, my interest in this hasn’t dampened at all… and it really is such a well featured machine (and great sounding) for such a keen price. I’ve spent too much on gear of late so need to calm down but it’s hard to see a situation where I don’t find my resolve crumbling at some point.

2 Likes

As to the value of the μFreak, Loopop summing up at the end of his video ( at 42:42 ), says this:

“On the ‘pro’ side, frankly, i struggle to think of a synth that provides as many synthesis engines and sequencing value as MicroFreak at this price range. The large number of sound engine types, to have four of them, the SCM filter, and the clearly laid-out mod matrix, as well as the randomization features here which i think are really cool and interesting from a generative perspective – all that for $300 – makes this a synth that’s very hard to ignore.”

3 Likes

Pity the keyboard doesn’t slide in underneath the unit to make it more compact.

I wonder how many circuit lines you’d be sawing through if you separated the keyboard using a dremel, then re-hinged it to the base and soldered back the circuit. That way you could fold the keyboard underneath for portability or even if you decided to use the ‘freak as a module.

7 Likes

Re: Stimming Video

Good demo. Good examples of using the μFreak in musical improvisation. Stimming also demonstrates how playable the “keyboard” really is.