Arturia MicroFreak

That’s almost exactly what the licence MI use means. You are free to do whatever you want with their code, including reselling it. Using the brand name is a separate issue but it sounds like they got permission for that so as far as I can see, it’s above board.

1 Like

there is even a lowpass gate built in in plaits. and you have the A4 filter.
A4 + plaits would already work on it‘s own pretty nicely

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. So I - ahm my friend - would only have to take care of a power supply?

he would miss some additional modulation options I guess

This looks neat https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=883

Edit: be careful, we’ve lost a lot of good people to the eurocrack

4 Likes

Sounds harsh but I’d definitely have been attending those meetings and had more input. Seems like arturia were open to involve her and you have to take some responsibility for not protecting your product more.

May not be a popular opinion but I want one of these. Saying that I’d hope they’d reach out to her again for further inclusion in future products and I’d hope she either gets involved or puts in place actions to protect her product

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely true. I was thinking about adding an additional voice to the four in the A4, but if you’re willing to give up one of those, then just adding a Plaits is a great idea.

Yes, and a case maybe. Especially a powered 4ms Pod looks like a really pretty way to add a bit of modular to an A4.

1 Like
Mod Edit : Use a flag next time please

You know, there’s an easy way to steer clear of these b…ds - just sayin’.

Bye,
Hans

That’s what I was concluding yesterday when it all came out and with some more insight this morning, it looks like that conclusion was justified. It all feels like the kind of storm in a tea cup that only millennials manage to create to me!

And it’s pretty shitty to have a bitch about Arturia and the product and to end it with “oh but let them have their fun and dont ruin the launch party” thing!

3 Likes

‘Freaks’ is here being announced as a new product range… so, MatrixFreak to come maybe?

btw, poor Sebastian always seems so stressed out when Uncle Nick drops by… :wink:

7 Likes

Those damn 18-35 year olds ruining everything again!

3 Likes

dude, she was only invited when they already finished the product…

maybe you should just read this carefully:

1 Like

imagine trying to act sovereign and confident, representing a company that literally ripped someone elses idea in the time of internet, where everybody quickly gets rid of that and people keep to ask you uncomfortable questions on that topic…

in this case poor sebastian here would even go through harakiri instead of speakong out the truth…

They contacted her at the start of the beginning of the development process then again for a product development meeting.

I’d say it wasn’t her area of expertise which is fair enough but my point is arturia didn’t exactly exclude her and her distance was partly due to her not having a business head, which is again fair enough and I’m not slating or blaming her

But I just feel the internet warrior rage is bit much and people saying I’m not using their products any more is just ridiculous

4 Likes

YMMV, but I don’t think that the statement from MI changes the fact that Arturia’s marketing department has gone more than a little overboard claiming a collaboration that never happened.

This was never about Arturia not being allowed to use the Plait source code; the whole point of an Open Source license is exactly that everyone can use the work. The issue is about Arturia being disingenuous about the level of involvement from MI, apparently for marketing purposes.

When I first read the product information on Arturia’s website I was under the impression that this was indeed a collaboration, and that MI had been involved with the design of the product beyond Arturia’s use of the Plaits code. And as a developer who’s active in the OSS community, and who has released code under the same license as what the Plaits source was released under, this is not an issue of me not understanding how open source licensing works.

Re-reading the product information from Arturia, I still feel it is misleading and I still feel it misrepresents Mutable Instruments involvement with Arturia’s product. I’ve cancelled my pre-order and my trust in Arturia has been damaged.

I don’t believe that Émilie is happy about the way Arturia has decided to present them using the Plaits source code in their product as a “collaboration”. What her statement makes clear however is that she isn’t in a position to do anything about that, that she doesn’t want to waste her energy on this, and that she prefers people to move on.

7 Likes

What are you you talking about? In what way is synth design not her area of expertise? In what way would you consider someone who single-handedly runs a company that has become one of the biggest, most original, and most successful Eurorack modular manufacturers not a successful business person?

5 Likes

I’m talking about the corporate business side with copyright and legalities around brand use

I’m hardly talking about her ability to design and create :confused:

As in sitting in those meetings with brand managers etc

Arturia screwed up the marketing in every way. Product’s dope though and probably pick one up.

I feel bad for Emilie that things have been presented in a way that understandably pissed her off but I’m not sure Arturia were fully in exploitation mode. They must have known this stuff would be discussed openly and for MI to clarify the extent of involvement.

I think maybe there’s just some very dumb people in their marketing dpt that didn’t realise what they were doing was going to upset MI… Intention was possibly just a (really ill-executed) compliment/recognition…

2 Likes

I got one of those 4ms cases. Build quality is excellent - but a word of warning, the cases are extremely shallow. So check in beforehand that your modules fit in. I couldn’t fit the ones I was planning to put there. For example the new Planar 2 needed a few extra washers between the module and railing. My fault, I was stupid for not checking.

1 Like